Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2016, 12:52   #1

First day at BIG school.

1964. Moor End in Ossy which was an annex for Rhyddings. Me and David Gaffney who lived next door on Pendle St. was going also. Think it was a couple of days before term started so we went for a walk to find the place, walked to school in those days! Monday arrived did the same walk all nice and clean in our new uniforms with new, empty, satchels. Found the yard which was full of kids all with the same lost look on their faces with hardly a parent in sight!!!! It was like that in those days, no lift to school, parents far to busy for all that nonsense! Teacher came out with a list on a clip board and told us all to be quiet and listen for our names and get into 3 lines in front of him! A, B and R (even then I knew R was not politically correct!) Up until that moment we had no idea about our mental capabilities and the paths we had been selected for. Off we walked to start our paths to the future!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-11-2016, 13:26   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: First day at BIG school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
into 3 lines in front of him! A, B and R (even then I knew R was not politically correct!)!
In 64 Britain didn't do pc, the people still had a backbone! Sadly 52 years on & we're swamped in the she-ite!
Less, cashman, dotti34 and 1 others like this.
Old 30-11-2016, 17:49   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
1964. Up until that moment we had no idea about our mental capabilities and the paths we had been selected for. Off we walked to start our paths to the future!!!
We were all selected as factory fodder, no-one was expected to do well, those that improved themselves had to work against the system.

Hell, compared with other generations we were lucky, factory fodder has to be better than cannon fodder, if the powers that be consider it though, they will sacrifice the youth for their principles. So nothing has changed just because of a couple of World Wars.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 18:13   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

In 1959 when i went to moor end it was an annexe for the tech (1st year) Never regarded tech as factory fodder, twas whatever yeh made of it was to be. a good school with the odd bad teacher, quite a few who went yon,went on to do well, i wasn't one of em. but that was my choice,
james likes this.
Old 30-11-2016, 18:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
In 1959 when i went to moor end it was an annexe for the tech (1st year) Never regarded tech as factory fodder, twas whatever yeh made of it was to be. a good school with the odd bad teacher, quite a few who went yon,went on to do well, i wasn't one of em. but that was my choice,
With better teachers, who knows? Even you could have improved.

As it was we all had the best of a bad lot.
Old 30-11-2016, 18:36   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
With better teachers, who knows? Even you could have improved.

As it was we all had the best of a bad lot.
Doubt that very much less, fags,beer,@ women were my downfall. plus music.
Less likes this.
Old 30-11-2016, 18:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Doubt that very much less, fags,beer,@ women were my downfall. plus music.
Fags, beer, women, no education needed it's natural progression, music? now that is where the teaching profession always lets us down, how can a kid learn music from a teacher that dances just like his dad?
cashman likes this.
Old 30-11-2016, 18:44   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

yer not kidding only music we got was a pigging Recorder.
gdm27 likes this.
Old 30-11-2016, 20:37   #9
Senior Member+

Similar Cash but 1955 at Tech annex, Moor End, Mr Roberts the teacher. Not a bad school, I guess you got out of what you put into it. Thanks to Bob Cunliffe I got lots of footy.
cashman likes this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 22:08   #10

Talking about music. 2nd year at Rhyddings proper and Miss Marigold getting us to sing about Chrysanthemums!!! Now that was proper music!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:11   #11
Beacon of light

1958...Woodnook County Secondary School. I think my first form teacher was a lady called Mrs Armitage(but my memory from that time is a bit foggy).
Yes, we were definitely destined as factory fodder, but as Less says that was far better than previous generations.
I can't say that excellence in anything was promoted...and my first year I was permanently petrified(though I cannot tell you what scared me...other than there were so many of us)
I left without any qualifications at the age of fifteen.
It took me a long time to decide what my career path would be.(nursing)
Once decided, I worked like a demon to make it a success.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:49   #12
Mog

1958 St Christopher's Form 1B. I haven't got a clue how I got there, but they made me form captain for some reason. Soon went down the same road as Cashy left school with nowt and went down the coal mines. But when I was 20 I got my mind right and ended up as a Mining Engineer. Some of what they taught me must have got through.
cashman likes this.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:45   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Have to say mog, took me a bit longer to sort meself out twas when i got wed in 73 n i thought cant carry on like this now.
Mog likes this.
Old 01-12-2016, 14:56   #14
Senior Member+

First day at Todmorden Grammar school I went in my clogs with irons on, imagine how I felt when everybody turned to look when I went clanging past into the hall.
The headmaster ordered me out and made me walk around school all day when inside in my stocking feet.
Day two I had my shoes on.
shillelagh and gdm27 like this.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:20   #15
God Member

started elland grammar school in 1959. hated it from day one. homework was something adults invented to stop me playing football after school. was told schooldays were the happy time in life. always remember the last day when a number of us ran down the road shouting were free, were free. main thing i learned was discipline however.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..