Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 18:18   #1
I am Banned

Football

Don't know where this picture should go so I've stuck it in here.
My father used to refer to some of them as the cold feet committee, stood there stamping their feet to keep warm, and thought they knew more about football than the players, referee and managers.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Football Peel Park..jpg (21.5 KB, 50 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-10-2009, 23:15   #2
God Member

Re: Football

great photo Retlaw.. I seem to remember the "stand" on the far side still there in the 70's.. but could be mistaken.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:10   #3
Super Moderator

You're right, Mancie, the old wooden stand was still there in the early 70's and had, in fact, been renovated sfter years of neglect, as the LCC were hoping to make the site some sort of athletics stadium. However, a fire in '72 burnt it to the ground and put paid to all that.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:44   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You're right, Mancie, the old wooden stand was still there in the early 70's and had, in fact, been renovated sfter years of neglect, as the LCC were hoping to make the site some sort of athletics stadium. However, a fire in '72 burnt it to the ground and put paid to all that.
I actually dismantled that stand Wynonie, its not that long ago there was a picture in the Obs showing the stand being dismantled
Old 04-10-2009, 10:06   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I actually dismantled that stand Wynonie, its not that long ago there was a picture in the Obs showing the stand being dismantled
Wouldn't have thought there'd be a lot to dismantle, Jaysay, after the fire consumed it. The other stand on the Burnley Road side was the big dismantling job. There's a picture of it on the cover of Phil Whalley's book, "The Club That wouldn't Die" showing the seats being ripped out in 1966 with a Stanley fan sitting with his head in his hands...very evocative.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:11   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Wouldn't have thought there'd be a lot to dismantle, Jaysay, after the fire consumed it. The other stand on the Burnley Road side was the big dismantling job. There's a picture of it on the cover of Phil Whalley's book, "The Club That wouldn't Die" showing the seats being ripped out in 1966 with a Stanley fan sitting with his head in his hands...very evocative.
I can assure you Wynonie there was still a stand there, there was some fire damage, even more when we got started because we burnt everything on site, we were there about a week, in fact my neighbour was also on that job too, be came and cut the metal work with an acetylene torch, The Stand at the Burnley Road side had already been dismantled at the time
Old 06-10-2009, 20:14   #7
God Member

Was this not the same stand that had been purchased from the Aldershot Military Tattoo? Which cost more to transport and to re-erect than to buy? And as such, was this not partially - if not mainly - responsible for the tragic demise of the old Accy Stanley.

I'm searching for a contemporary metaphor, somewhere. Can anyone help?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 19:30   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Was this not the same stand that had been purchased from the Aldershot Military Tattoo? Which cost more to transport and to re-erect than to buy? And as such, was this not partially - if not mainly - responsible for the tragic demise of the old Accy Stanley.

I'm searching for a contemporary metaphor, somewhere. Can anyone help?
The stand on the Peel Park Hotel side that Jaysay helped to demolish was an old wooden one that had been there since the 1920's. The big corrugated iron stand on the Burnley Road side was the Aldershot Military Tattoo stand that contributed to the tragic events of '62, but I prefer not to talk about such things at the moment...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..