Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2013, 14:59   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Funny How Smells Take You Back

There I was in my usual position (semi conscious) when in came a group of lads they sat at a table near me.

I got a strong smell, extremely sweet, and also stickily sour.

It took me back immediately to my junior school classroom of the late 50's, back then although there were antibiotics they weren't being used for 'ordinary' illnesses.
So if someone got an ear infection it didn't take long before everyone seemed to get one.
The cure? A piece of cotton wool to catch the puss with a dab of germoline on it.
The smell came back to my memory instantly and on observing the group of lads, I noticed one had a piece of cotton wool in his ear.

I wonder, considering how powerful and accurate our sense of smell is, what memories have come back to you?

Hopefully they will be better than the above.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2013, 15:23   #2

Re: Funny How Smells Take You Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
There I was in my usual position (semi conscious) when in came a group of lads they sat at a table near me.

I got a strong smell, extremely sweet, and also stickily sour.

It took me back immediately to my junior school classroom of the late 50's, back then although there were antibiotics they weren't being used for 'ordinary' illnesses.
So if someone got an ear infection it didn't take long before everyone seemed to get one.
The cure? A piece of cotton wool to catch the puss with a dab of germoline on it.
The smell came back to my memory instantly and on observing the group of lads, I noticed one had a piece of cotton wool in his ear.

I wonder, considering how powerful and accurate our sense of smell is, what memories have come back to you?

Hopefully they will be better than the above.
Germoline definitely rings a bell with me, although not in the same way thankfully! I was reminded of it when I first tried a pop drink called Root Beer here in Canada. There's nothing 'beer'-like about it, it's the colour of a pop I used to enjoy back in Accy - Dandelion and Burdock, but has the sweet medicinal aroma of our beloved pink ointment. Strange to tell, I grew to like Root Beer - it's still a favourite after all these years.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 15:30   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Germoline definitely rings a bell with me, although not in the same way thankfully! I was reminded of it when I first tried a pop drink called Root Beer here in Canada. There's nothing 'beer'-like about it, it's the colour of a pop I used to enjoy back in Accy - Dandelion and Burdock, but has the sweet medicinal aroma of our beloved pink ointment. Strange to tell, I grew to like Root Beer - it's still a favourite after all these years.
I have just looked up Wikipedia for Germoline and it says it contains wintergreen.
So I then looked up 'root beer' in Wiki and it shows that some root beers use wintergreen as a flavouring.
Turtle likes this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 15:32   #4
Senior Member+

Euthymol toothpaste tastes like germoline.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 15:39   #5
Beacon of light

Hyacinths make me think of a trip to Amsterdam when I was newly married, but it also brought back memeories of landing at Manchester and himself nipping off to the loo because the loo on the plane had been occupied for most of the flight.
When he came out of the toilets he was hauled away by burly customs officers for a body cavity search......so the smell of hyacinths brings back that memory too...though it wasn't anywhere near as traumatic for me as it was for him .
Less, shillelagh and Turtle like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 15:42   #6

Funny How Smells Take You Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Euthymol toothpaste tastes like germoline.
I've never eaten Germoline, are you sure it tastes like it, or perhaps as the topic is about smells being strong, you just think it does?

Typical reply from Mags by the way, she must have been disappointed that she didn't find anything world threatening in her search.
Old 18-09-2013, 17:26   #7
Resting in Peace

I can remember back in the fifties the smell of DDT anywhere in the New Lane area of Ossy, you could taste it, until it was outlawed, even then it took many years for the smell to disperse
Old 18-09-2013, 17:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I can remember back in the fifties the smell of DDT anywhere in the New Lane area of Ossy, you could taste it, until it was outlawed, even then it took many years for the smell to disperse
Let's be honest, back then that was the early version of deodorant or antiperspirant.

God! when you consider hygiene, bathing once a week, wearing the same clothes, several days on the trot, it's a wonder that we could stand near each other!
Old 18-09-2013, 21:57   #9

Smells definitely take me back, the one instance I recall is one xmas when I was just kind of growing up a bit (11ish) I got a present of some perfume , and a ladybird-shaped hairbrush, the perfume isn't around any longer but whatever scents it was comprised of still remind me of xmas-they crop up every now and again.

Germoline reminds me of school definitely-although I'm not sure It's the scent or the sight/presence of the product. I hate the stuff
Old 18-09-2013, 22:15   #10

Devon Violet Perfume just came to mind. Haven't been near any since I was a kid, but I can still recall the scent.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 22:19   #11

Walking through Newark last year, I got a whiff of something which took me back to Blackburn 45 years ago. There must have been a local brewery working as the smell reminded me f getting off the bus and barely being able to breathe due to the smell emanating from M. Brown or D Thwaites. It used to make me baulk.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 01:39   #12
Mog

47.11 toilet water from Woolworths . Now that brings back memories.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 10:14   #13
Beacon of light

I know that after himself was released by the customs chaps(we had nothing more than we were allowed) he was told that he had made the customs men suspicious by going straight to the toilet.
I just said I hoped they had searched his mouth before they poked their fingers into his bottom end.
He was like Victoria...not amused!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 10:24   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Let's be honest, back then that was the early version of deodorant or antiperspirant.

God! when you consider hygiene, bathing once a week, wearing the same clothes, several days on the trot, it's a wonder that we could stand near each other!
Are you saying it doesn't happen now, and why do people not stand close to me.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 10:41   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Are you saying it doesn't happen now, and why do people not stand close to me.
At least your gusset gets a regular clean Dave.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..