Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2006, 21:09   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

Good Advice

My dad always told me, "Be yourself". It's a piece of advice I've always followed, even when it would have been easier to go along with the crowd.

My mother had a nice little phrase too. She would say, "Keep you head in the air, even if your backside is trailing on the ground." That has come in useful when things have gone wrong in life and I've always found a brave face works better than a miserable one.

What, if any, good advice did your mother or father give to you when you were young?
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2006, 23:31   #2

Re: Good Advice

My mum always told me that if ever i was intimidated by anyone to imagine them sitting on the toilet. A great leveller.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 23:31   #3
Give, give, give member

I too benefited from the wise words of my parents who told us to hold our heads held eye.

Another one was,
'You are as good as anyone else. No better, but no worse.'

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 23:55   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Get out of the house was probably best advice i ever got. lol was only goin on 16 but it certainly woke me up.
Old 24-08-2006, 15:04   #5
Resting in peace

My mother told me never to get drunk at a party, because there is little worse than waking up with a stinking head, turning over, and thinking "Who the hell is that???"

Did I always follow it - well ..
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 18:39   #6
God Member

My mum always told me men are are useless ...... Good advice I know never to expect to much from the weaker sex.
Old 24-08-2006, 20:18   #7
Beacon of light

Live within your means...but don't let it stop you having dreams.
Lend a friend money and you lose a friend (and maybe the money).
Pray like it's up to God, but row like it's up to you.
These were bits of advice my parents gave me......don't know how good they were...I'm still testing them out!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 20:25   #8
God Member

My mum taught me that men are Toss pots....which I think was the best advice.........

She taught me to keep my legs crossed!!! which failed due to the fact that they were crossed over his back ( well if she had explained properly).

She taught me that when you have hang over!! a hair of the dog will always wake you up.

And she has taught me that when you get old..... you can say basically what the hell you like!!! cos no-one likes smacking old people in the teeth for their gobbiness

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 12:44   #9
God Member

Just work to live not live to work. Unfortunately I seem to do the latter.

Oh and get out of Accy and start afresh before you get clinked.
Now that was worth is weight in gold.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 13:04   #10
I am Banned

Errrrrrr thing is i've learnt everything the absolute hard way!! & by jeeves its the worst way but you soon dont repeat them, but my saying is advice is always good if you can remember it - hence i have a problem

Im waiting for my dad to remind me if theres anything not covered - oh he did give me a song full of good advice tho - even if a little too late as most things i already learnt due to doing it the hard way hehehehe
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 10:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Errrrrrr thing is i've learnt everything the absolute hard way!! & by jeeves its the worst way but you soon dont repeat them, but my saying is advice is always good if you can remember it - hence i have a problem

Im waiting for my dad to remind me if theres anything not covered - oh he did give me a song full of good advice tho - even if a little too late as most things i already learnt due to doing it the hard way hehehehe

Well then our Mel !!!, did you forget what my Dad told me !! - forget the 10 commandments - there are only 2 !! - "Be honest and be truthful" - I guess they just about cover everything else huh !!

And another of his famous comments regarding bringing up kids "give em what they need, not neccessarily what they want" - put your own slant to that comment, but I know what he meant, and if they needed a clip round the lughole they got it, and if they needed something to help their education or broaden their social/life skills they got that too

There was a guy who told it from life experiences too - went through WW2, Dunkirk and all - POW for 3 yrs - then later went on to have 8 children, lost his wife, when the youngest (me) was 1 year old - brought us all up and carried on working full time too - how many so-called "new men" could handle that !!!

and for info for fellow readers - the song is "Deodata" by Les Crane, released in the 70's - please listen to the words
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2006, 21:12   #12
Yank in King Art's Court!

Be Strong, Brave, and Tough like an Indian!

This was neat advice my dad used to give us when we were little. His way of trying to keep us from crying or from being scared of the dark.

Kinda on that note, this weekend they had all the old Danial Boone (early 60s) shows on. Now that brought back some nice memories. I love that part of America's history!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2006, 22:58   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmc
Well then our Mel !!!, did you forget what my Dad told me !! - forget the 10 commandments - there are only 2 !! - "Be honest and be truthful" - I guess they just about cover everything else huh !!

And another of his famous comments regarding bringing up kids "give em what they need, not neccessarily what they want" - put your own slant to that comment, but I know what he meant, and if they needed a clip round the lughole they got it, and if they needed something to help their education or broaden their social/life skills they got that too

There was a guy who told it from life experiences too - went through WW2, Dunkirk and all - POW for 3 yrs - then later went on to have 8 children, lost his wife, when the youngest (me) was 1 year old - brought us all up and carried on working full time too - how many so-called "new men" could handle that !!!

and for info for fellow readers - the song is "Deodata" by Les Crane, released in the 70's - please listen to the words
desiderata 1972.lol
Old 06-09-2006, 18:13   #14
Foreign Correspondent

Advice?

"Don't sweat the petty things -and don't pet the sweaty things!

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 18:18   #15
Resident Waffler

My mum always told me to wear clean undies in case I had an accident. I really don't think the A&E would be interested in the state of my undies!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..