Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2011, 14:31   #31

Re: Hacking boat

According to an article in the Lancashire Evening Telegraph, 5 July 1993, the ferry ran from 1686 to the mid-50s. It was a flat bottomed boat with seats round the sides. Mr Michael Jackson, a former Ribble Valley Council chief executive discovered it decaying in a barn while out rambling and had it restored. It was on display at the Clitheroe Castle Museum but took up to much space and is now in the possession of the Ribble Valley Borough Council. Standing on the Billington side of the river you had to shout for the farmer or his wife to ferry you across the Ribble, where it joins the Calder, for a few coppers. It is reputed that dogs were sometimes left to swim across to avoid payment. A long chain acted as an anchor

Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2011, 14:32   #32

According to an article in the Lancashire Evening Telegraph, 5 July 1993, the ferry ran from 1686 to the mid-50s. It was a flat bottomed boat with seats round the sides. Mr Michael Jackson, a former Ribble Valley Council chief executive discovered it decaying in a barn while out rambling and had it restored. It was on display at the Clitheroe Castle Museum but took up to much space and is now in the possession of the Ribble Valley Borough Council. Standing on the Billington side of the river you had to shout for the farmer or his wife to ferry you across the Ribble, where it joins the Calder, for a few coppers. It is reputed that dogs were sometimes left to swim across to avoid payment. A long chain acted as an anchor Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party.

Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 12:08   #33
Resting in Peace

They say 'The Grass is Greener on the other side', but from what I remember the terrain on the other banking was sort of lumpier, marshy and full of thistles and more cow clap ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 13:33   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
They say 'The Grass is Greener on the other side', but from what I remember the terrain on the other banking was sort of lumpier, marshy and full of thistles and more cow clap ..
well i can't remember.....then i'm younger.
Old 23-05-2011, 16:29   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well i can't remember.....then i'm younger.

Unfortunately, that is an argument I can't get out of.

Last edited by katex; 23-05-2011 at 16:33.
Old 16-07-2011, 08:58   #36
Resting in Peace

Found this in my family pictures, was at Hacking Boat.
Notice the paddling shoes, I had some and they were made of rubber and pink..

Paddling 2.jpg
Old 13-01-2012, 18:06   #37

I farm down stream of hacking boat and my uncle is the owner of the old boat house,just to clear some confusion there was a ferry at dinckley also and sail wheel is further down stream from dinckley.The last farmer at the boat house was Harry Holden he moved away from the house near 60 years ago and the house lay derelict till 2001 when my uncle purchased it from the stonyhurst estate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ge 100.jpg (375.2 KB, 29 views)
scoffcruddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 19:57   #38
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Found this in my family pictures, was at Hacking Boat.
Notice the paddling shoes, I had some and they were made of rubber and pink..

Attachment 18048
I have just been reading the posts on Hacking Boat which have taken me right back to my school days,(I think a lot of posts do that for most people) mine are happy days two or three of us and dogs walking from Clayton down lower Barnes st over to Gt Harwood up to the church and over Whalley nab then on to Hacking Boat.
One time when we went must have been a hot sumer day so we took our shirts off, i got terribly sunburnt so bad i was off school for 2 weeks,so even now i do not sit out in the sun.
When Easter came round one year four pals and dogs took a tent and went to camp out there,settling down for the night was not easy with the dogs and a tent only made for three,but we all eventualy got of to sleep.Dont no how long after we were woken up covered in ants, jumped up and ran into the river and it was freezing,when we got back to the tent we watched the ants carrying away pieces of our only loaf.
Decision made to go home.
Never been in a tent since, caravan yes.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 17:56   #39

I think the Hacking family fan the "Ferry" across the river.
Irene B (Was Davies)
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 15:57   #40

Does anyone know anything about the tumulus on the west side of the river from Hacking Hall? I heard it contains the dead from a battle in the Dark Ages.
Flypjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 16:17   #41
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypjp View Post
Does anyone know anything about the tumulus on the west side of the river from Hacking Hall? I heard it contains the dead from a battle in the Dark Ages.
Have you seen this? from

http://catterall.net/history/celtic.html

Towards the end of the eighth century, The kingdom of Northumbria, suffered from major internal disputes, and also came under attack from Danish settlers from [ ...]. The sack of the monastic establishment at Lindisfarne was quickly followed by attacks on Jarrow and Monkwearmouth.

The Danes quickly established a foothold, settled and moved westwards across the Pennines. The [Anglo Saxon Chronicle] records a battle in 798 close to Whalley when a chieftain or war leader named Alric was killed.
" 798 ... there was a great battle on Northumbrian land in the spring on 4 Nones April at Whalley and there Alric, son of Heardbearhtes, was killed and many others with him."

The story is repeated by Simeon of Durham, and it was clearly an event of importance to the developing Ango-Saxon nations. Simeon adds the information that the battle occurred in the reign od Eardwulf 'in the region that is called by the English Billangahoth (Langho) near Walalege (Whalley) and that the fight was lead by 'Wada Dux'. Wada is apparently a local, as his name apperas in several place names near Whalley. The victory went to the Danes, and presumably Alric was their leader in this battle.

Langho is a village, close to Whalley and the junction of the Calder and the Ribble. Close to the junction, near Hacking Hall, is a large conical tumulus called the Loe Hill, 120 yards in circumference. Thomas Dunham Whitaker dug into this tumulus in 1815 and found it to be an artificial mound, but because of its size did not penetrate to the centre. Whitaker suggests that this is a monument to, or the tomb of Alric. There is hill named Wadhow four miles up the Ribble, whicvh he suggests might have been Wada's camp before the battle, nearby is the town of Wada, Waddington, Edisforth (the Nobleman's Ford) and Wiswall (the Hero's Well.)

It appears that the invading Danes had penetrated the Aire Gap as far as Whalley where they met and defeated resistance from the local Northumbrians, but their leader Alric was killed.

Of this encounter, Whitaker writes:
"Considered as an obscure village in a remote province, this testimony is honourable to Whalley. Few even of our large provincial towns, excepting those which lay claim to Roman antiquity, have any earlier record than the great register of Domesday; but our story reaches nearly three centuries backward into the Saxon era, is connected in its origin with an important national event, and attested by no private register, but by the annals of the Northumbrian kingdom."

Also http://www.anglo-saxons.net/hwaet/?d...=chron&id=798a

Last edited by susie123; 26-12-2012 at 16:20.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 11:36   #42

I seem to remember we would get the bus to the De Tabley Arms & walk through the woods to the river - I knew it as Dinkley Ferry (later the suspension bridge). Seem to remember particularly the bluebells & the smell of wild garlic.

We also often did the Whalley Nab walk, had tea at the cafe by the bus station and caught the bus back to Ossy.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 12:11   #43

And I think we called the woods "Sail Wheel" woods.
Old 29-12-2012, 17:04   #44

This post really does bring back memories Myself, Derek Salmon, Chris Kenyon, Mick Doyle, Anthony Wood, it was a regular trip out for us
lol1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 11:48   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol1944 View Post
This post really does bring back memories Myself, Derek Salmon, Chris Kenyon, Mick Doyle, Anthony Wood, it was a regular trip out for us
Would that be the Derek Salmon who was injured in a car crash at Shap Fell and later died? I knew him - but not well.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..