Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 13:26   #1
Senior Member+

Haircut 2,000!

Back in the day used to get my hair cut in barbers at the bottom of Stanley Street, shop long gone now, but anyone remember the shop i mean?

For a time in 70's rarely had a hair cut but then when required short cut went to Mick Rushtons barbers was it Plus 2 on Abbey Street.

Where do you get your haircut these days?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-05-2012, 14:02   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Haircut 2,000!

Salon 68 in Burnley Road. I used to go to the barbers at the corner of Pendle Street and Higher Antley Street when I was a lad and lived on Hope Street.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 14:18   #3
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Salon 68 in Burnley Road. I used to go to the barbers at the corner of Pendle Street and Higher Antley Street when I was a lad and lived on Hope Street.
Was that Chinny's (Gordon Kenyon)? Obviously never went there myself but I do remember him in the sixties.
Old 04-05-2012, 14:31   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Was that Chinny's (Gordon Kenyon)? Obviously never went there myself but I do remember him in the sixties.
Don't know who it was then but it is owned by Tony Sinkinson now
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 14:31   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Nah Chinnys was on Abbey St, used to go yon in 60s,70s, Salon 68 is were ive gone ever since thats Sinkys, or Tony Sinkinson.Plus 2 on Abbey St was Gordon Kenyon or chinnys.

Last edited by cashman; 04-05-2012 at 14:34.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 14:48   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Nah Chinnys was on Abbey St, used to go yon in 60s,70s, Salon 68 is were ive gone ever since thats Sinkys, or Tony Sinkinson.Plus 2 on Abbey St was Gordon Kenyon or chinnys.
Could have sworn Chinny was in Burnley Road once upon a time!
Old 04-05-2012, 16:07   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
The place I used to go was on Stanley Street in last few buildings - across from the dairy. I forget the name now.

Anyone used to go to Wallworks barbers?
Old 04-05-2012, 16:10   #8
Resting In Peace

As a little lad my brother used to go to Mr Watts in a little tiny shop under the railway arch in Whalley Road, by the Clock Garage. That was in the fifties, short back and sides, brilliantine and a quiff!
Old 04-05-2012, 18:01   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Where do you get your haircut these days?
Chez Williams, me & the hound share the whizzer !
Old 04-05-2012, 18:02   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Chinney certainly had Plus Two on Abbey Street, he always cut my hair back in the 70s mobertol
Old 04-05-2012, 18:06   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Nah Chinnys was on Abbey St, used to go yon in 60s,70s, Salon 68 is were Ive gone ever since that's Sinkys, or Tony Sinkinson.Plus 2 on Abbey St was Gordon Kenyon or chinnys.
He had a shop on the right facing haslingden then he moved across the road, I went to chimneys until I married an Hairdresser in 78 but Joan does it now, ya don't need much training to give a number 1 cut
Old 04-05-2012, 20:29   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Chez Williams, me & the hound share the whizzer !
Don't you have a comb over now -
Old 04-05-2012, 20:54   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

First Barbers i ever went to as a kid was"Quick Nicks" as he was known, Joe Simpson on Lodge Street.
Old 04-05-2012, 21:04   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Don't you have a comb over now -
Wash your mouth out ! I am what I am, eggshell blonde & display it proudly, none of this false vanity & clinging on to the strands with me fella.
Old 04-05-2012, 23:14   #15

I go to Fitzys every four weeks for my roots and trim, I'd probably be more or less grey by now but I have no idea, the lovely blonde covers it all up!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..