Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2008, 07:01   #1
Junior Member+

Halloween

Did you ever walk from Accrington to the top of Pendle on Halloween and then home again?
Did you build the biggest bonfire and guard it from the other streets gang
Did you have a trolley/cart made from pram wheels and wood?
Did you sledge in winter?
Did you make tar babies in the summer?
Did you play out with your mates, gone for the day without adults to spoil the fun.
Did you build dens, and have a very free childhood.
motherhubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-03-2008, 07:03   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Halloween

Er yes to all except the first one i lived in Preston
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 07:10   #3

Yes all the above exept tar babies,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 07:25   #4
Super Moderator

Does anybody remember going over to the Nick of Pendle on Good Friday? I recall doing it regularly in the late 60's/early 70's. We'd arrive there at lunchtime, then all pile into the Wellsprings for a good session until chucking out time at 3.00pm. Then we'd all sit on the hillside opposite - half the teenage population of Accy seemed to be there!
Old 21-03-2008, 09:11   #5
Senior Member+

yes to all
plus walked over Whalley Nabs easter sunday just to roll me eggs

couldnt do any now..health & safety etc

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 09:43   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Did you ever walk from Accrington to the top of Pendle on Halloween and then home again?
no cant say iv tried that, but i did once walk all the way to whalley
Did you build the biggest bonfire and guard it from the other streets gang?
no...lol
Did you have a trolley/cart made from pram wheels and wood?
LOL...done this one....even though they used to collapse when ya got to the bottom of the hill
Did you sledge in winter?
no not really, more of a snowman maker meself
Did you make tar babies in the summer?
....no
Did you play out with your mates, gone for the day without adults to spoil the fun.
from dawn till dusk
Did you build dens, and have a very free childhood.
Oh yes, used to use old couchs and wood, and chairs...lol, can still remember the smell of dirty damp seats........how on earth could ya sit on that muck...lol

Old 21-03-2008, 09:55   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yes to all bar the tar babies, Pendle Hill was n halloween must, copius amounts of bitter, get either soaked or frozen to the bone, weather always seemed to be really crap that night, now i look back dont understand why we bothered, ya could see witches in accy any night.
Old 21-03-2008, 10:33   #8
Resting in Peace

I can say yes to all these, infact it brought a smile to my face when I was reading the list. Over Pendle one, I can remember catching a bus to Burnley then on to Brierfield with the youth club on Halloween, we the walked over Pendle and ended up in Whalley at about 6-30am, started to walk home but caught a bus at the top of Whalley brow we were that nackered, just wish I could do it now
Old 25-03-2008, 21:20   #9

Yet another who can say yes to all! I also recall sitting in the bay window of our house on Manchester Road waiting to see several riders from a stable in Baxenden making the ride to Pendle on horseback dressed as Witches and Wizards. Perhaps one of those riders is a forum member... anyone remember this?

Ian
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 22:07   #10

Me To. Need to be p--ed to put up with the weather.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..