Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2008, 11:13   #1
Resting in Peace

Happyrentice

Just been thinking about the hotpot post and Bert99T menioned about the job he did when he first started as an Happyrentice butcher. What jobs did you get when you started work, and how were you teased as well, we've all been there and it wasn't fun at the time, but it is now when you look back. My nemesis was plugging the walls for skirting boards, and of course making the brews and going for the dinners. Anyone remember being sent for a long stand to the local hardwear store (Bridges on Church Street in my case) then being sent back by the counter staff after about twenty minutes, you didn't half feel a "D" head
Old 30-07-2008, 11:25   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Happyrentice

my first job easter 63 was apprentice butcher at Slingers (load of Mischief) were i met Darwendosser who started same day, n we bin mates ever since.the butchers used to plauge me about me long hair,n one day got me cornered in the tin washing place, n come at me to cut it, big mistake cos i had me boning knife in me hand, the hair was never cut.
Old 30-07-2008, 12:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just been thinking about the hotpot post and Bert99T menioned about the job he did when he first started as an Happyrentice butcher. What jobs did you get when you started work, and how were you teased as well, we've all been there and it wasn't fun at the time, but it is now when you look back. My nemesis was plugging the walls for skirting boards, and of course making the brews and going for the dinners. Anyone remember being sent for a long stand to the local hardwear store (Bridges on Church Street in my case) then being sent back by the counter staff after about twenty minutes, you didn't half feel a "D" head
JT ROTHWELLS 1964

GOING TO THE PARTS STORE FOR A LONG STAND ,SHORT WEIGHT ,BUCKET OF STEAM , ETC
I MADE NEARLY AS MUTCH MONEY GOING FOR LUNCHES AS I DID IN WAGES PLUS A FREE LUNCH FROM THE FISH&CHIP SHOP&THE PIE SHOP ON CHURCH KIRK LANE
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 16:57   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by south aussie View Post
JT ROTHWELLS 1964

GOING TO THE PARTS STORE FOR A LONG STAND ,SHORT WEIGHT ,BUCKET OF STEAM , ETC
I MADE NEARLY AS MUTCH MONEY GOING FOR LUNCHES AS I DID IN WAGES PLUS A FREE LUNCH FROM THE FISH&CHIP SHOP&THE PIE SHOP ON CHURCH KIRK LANE
Never said there weren't any perks SA, shoooosh don't let-on on here there maybe some up-and-comming wide boys on here, let um learn their own scams
Old 30-07-2008, 19:03   #5
Resting In Peace

i remember it well, brings back memories, happy days when you think back.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 19:23   #6

As a young deckhand in the M.N. every Friday was firedrill day. The hose reels were out and used, all the breathing equipment and a little scenario was always made up where we had to rescue someone.

There was a particularly old set of breathing equipment, full suit thing with a great long hose attached to it and a set of bellows. Guess who got the job of wearing it every Friday…Oh how they used to laugh when they stopped pumping the bellows…gits
Old 30-07-2008, 19:59   #7
Passed away 25-11-09

While I was waiting for my posting in the Civil Service I spent 3 months working at Boots, on Church St. in Blackburn, on the Farms and Gardens department (I don't think Boots do that any more). We sold all kinds of weird and wonderful things for farmers and I remember, in my first week, a farmer's wife coming in and asking me for "lamb's rings".

I hadn't a clue what they were and my boss, a lovely lady called Edna, was at lunch. The lady explained they were rubber bands used to castrate baby rams and proceeded to instruct me exactly how they were used and how they worked.

My biological knowledge was well developed in that job.
Old 31-07-2008, 10:38   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
While I was waiting for my posting in the Civil Service I spent 3 months working at Boots, on Church St. in Blackburn, on the Farms and Gardens department (I don't think Boots do that any more). We sold all kinds of weird and wonderful things for farmers and I remember, in my first week, a farmer's wife coming in and asking me for "lamb's rings".

I hadn't a clue what they were and my boss, a lovely lady called Edna, was at lunch. The lady explained they were rubber bands used to castrate baby rams and proceeded to instruct me exactly how they were used and how they worked.

My biological knowledge was well developed in that job.
Hope it didn't give you any ideas in your private life West Ender
Old 31-07-2008, 13:29   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
my first job easter 63 was apprentice butcher at Slingers (load of Mischief) were i met Darwendosser who started same day, n we bin mates ever since.the butchers used to plauge me about me long hair,n one day got me cornered in the tin washing place, n come at me to cut it, big mistake cos i had me boning knife in me hand, the hair was never cut.
Didn't know that Cashy...........I did a stint at Slingers round about then.
Do you remember 'Little Joe' foreman driver? He was pushing his luck one day and finished hung on the back of the fridge door.
Happy Days.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 13:59   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thanks for mention Jaysay and got "long-stand etc" when I went to work at Platts lol. Oh the memory of being able to get to the canteen before rest of works got belled for breakdast break as our room was that far away they were allowed to send a runner for the toast etc LOL. Found loads of different routes to there .
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 14:00   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thanks for mention Jaysay and got "long-stand etc" when I went to work at Platts lol. Oh the memory of being able to get to the canteen before rest of works got belled for breakfast break as our room was that far away they were allowed to send a runner for the toast etc LOL. Found loads of different routes to there .
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 14:04   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Didn't know that Cashy...........I did a stint at Slingers round about then.
Do you remember 'Little Joe' foreman driver? He was pushing his luck one day and finished hung on the back of the fridge door.
Happy Days.
nah cant think roy, ones i remember were the harrys, Hawkins, n Gorton both now gone, big jock who was always singing 4 seasons songs, brian worsick -sausage maker who i got me dog off, old stuart- master butcher who drank meths. boswell (stuart) who i still see occasionally, granville who later became a postman, darwendosser, blair the guy who washed the tins, jack gee - driver who i was talking too a couple of days back, and also bob, who moved up the lakes n started his own business, fred was the boning foreman n thats all i recall, oh n deena who worked in office with tom, n the marsden brothers thats me lot, n age thing.
Old 31-07-2008, 20:54   #13
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Hope it didn't give you any ideas in your private life West Ender

No - I had 3 children.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..