Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 10:05   #16
Resting In Peace

Re: Harry Boyle Cup

Finally found one who might still be alive. This is a comment on an obit of someone who was born in 1935. There appear to be two email addresses which might be useful.

http://menmedia.co.uk/accringtonobserver/life_and_style/announcements/s/1344965_jack_addison

roy [email protected] (09/10/2010 at 13:43)
I have known Jack from when we were both 12 years old, and when his family moved from Huncoat to Clayton le Moors.A few of us were playing cricket on some spare ground off Earl St he asked to join in and from that day we have been friends,in fact I regarded him as my best friend,We spent our teenage and early life together,and have remined friends all these years.I will miss our chats on sorting the worlds problems out,and remembering all those days from the past. Most of all I will miss him.

Roy Smethurst
[email protected]
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2012, 10:26   #17
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Finally found one who might still be alive. This is a comment on an obit of someone who was born in 1935. There appear to be two email addresses which might be useful.

http://menmedia.co.uk/accringtonobserver/life_and_style/announcements/s/1344965_jack_addison

roy [email protected] (09/10/2010 at 13:43)
I have known Jack from when we were both 12 years old, and when his family moved from Huncoat to Clayton le Moors.A few of us were playing cricket on some spare ground off Earl St he asked to join in and from that day we have been friends,in fact I regarded him as my best friend,We spent our teenage and early life together,and have remined friends all these years.I will miss our chats on sorting the worlds problems out,and remembering all those days from the past. Most of all I will miss him.

Roy Smethurst
[email protected]
Susie, you are getting closer and closer.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:45   #18
Resting In Peace

Lancashire Schools Football Association - History

The Nineteenth Century and Early Years of the Twentieth Century - Pioneers
Schools’ football was played in Liverpool and probably in other areas of the county in the seventies of this century. Definitive records, however, indicate that Aigburth National School won the senior football competition in 1893. The Harry Boyle Cup, presented by a local business- man in 1897 for Blackburn schools, remains probably the oldest trophy still contested for to this day. The first semi-finals and final were played at Ewood Park. The Alderman Ord Cup, presented to Preston SFA in 1906, is the closest contestant within the present Lancashire and since that date is traditionally played at Deepdale. Both competitions are keenly contested to this day with Blackburn and Preston records showing a fine pedigree of winners.

Lancashire Schools Football Association - History

Poassibly this was the businessman who donated the cup?

Harry Boyle

© BwD Terms & Conditions
Creator: Blackburn Weekly Telegraph Date: Location: Blackburn Town Centre,Blackburn Document Type:Newspaper Description: Advertisement for Harry Boyle Ltd. Text reads- For the holidays. Smart, stylish and durable. Ready for wear. 21/6 27/6 Trousers, ready for wear, 5/11 Harry Boyle Ltd. 78 to 84, King Street (Just under the clock). Tel 106yClassification No:Identifier:Original Size: Length: 120mm Height: 110mmYou may freely reproduce this content provided you do not do so in the course of a business and state clearly that the content was provided by BwD for use in the Cotton Town digitisation project.

Salford

© LET Terms & Conditions Creator: LETDate: Location: Salford,Grid Ref:SD684281Document Type:Monotone Photographic PrintDescription: Salford, Blackburn, c.1910. The shop in the middle with the old-fashioned window is that offurniture dealer Harry Boyle who, at the time, also had premises in King Street. Next door, to the right, with a crowd of youngsters in front of Leeming and Yates saddlers' and to the left of handcart on the pavement is the Ye Olde White Bull Hotel, which was established in 1750. It was pulled down at the end of 1959 to make way for a modern pub of the same name, but known since 1979 as the Brewer's Arms. The line-up outside Boyle's shop and the crowd being carefully kept on either side of it suggests the photographer was there for an 'occasion' - which may have been the forthcoming passing of the premises which were demolished afterwards, giving Calendar Street access to Salford.Classification No:C62Salford Identifier:Original Size: Length: 132mm Height: 175mmYou may freely reproduce this content provided you do not do so in the course of a business and state clearly that the content was provided by LET for use in the Cotton Town digitisation project.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:27   #19
Rest in Peace

Susie, you may be right.I have emailed the football museum at Preston to see if they can find any answeres.Bob Dobson came up with this, let you know if I get any reply.
Old 06-01-2012, 21:02   #20
Resting In Peace

I just gathered from your post to Eric on another thread that you are the Roy Smethurst in the photo. Bit annoyed about that, you might have told me or anyone else before we go off looking for these people. But then you do have a habit of starting threads with just a sentence and not providing any other information or opinions.

Anyway good luck with finding out more about the cup. It's funny that there's no more info on the net if it is still being played for today.
Old 06-01-2012, 21:21   #21
Rest in Peace

Quote:
I just gathered from your post to Eric on another thread that you are the Roy Smethurst in the photo. Bit annoyed about that, you might have told me or anyone else before we go off looking for these people. But then you do have a habit of starting threads with just a sentence and not providing any other information or opinions.

Anyway good luck with finding out more about the cup. It's funny that there's no more info on the net if it is still being played for today.
Susie read posts 16 and 17 all the clues were there look at the names under the photo you must have done. Disapointed with an old Accy High School girl.
Thats to get some debate going.

Would you like to smack my-----hand
Old 06-01-2012, 21:30   #22
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Susie read posts 16 and 17 all the clues were there look at the names under the photo you must have done. Disapointed with an old Accy High School girl.
Thats to get some debate going.

Would you like to smack my-----hand
Even reading those posts I would not have guessed that you were in the photo, just that your friend was, let alone what your name was.

Anyway I'm glad you are still alive even though you have been playing games with me, and no I won't smack your hand, you'd probably enjoy it. You can do your own research next time.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:38   #23
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Even reading those posts I would not have guessed that you were in the photo, just that your friend was, let alone what your name was.

Anyway I'm glad you are still alive even though you have been playing games with me, and no I won't smack your hand, you'd probably enjoy it. You can do your own research next time.
My friend who passed on is not in the photo.
Just think of the enjoyment you got searching and belive me I was not intending to play games with you.As you say my posts are a bit short,so I think I will stay with The Joke of The Day.

Hang on sloopy,hang on should be Hang on Susie hang on
Old 07-01-2012, 11:53   #24
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Another idea: Ask the Lancashire FA, which is based at Leyland.

Ask Accrington Library Local Studies if they have any cuttings or other notes on him.

Mr Howson, who sent the photo in, died about 2 yrs ago. His wife still lives in Willows Lane.
Quote:
Thanks I will, Dennis was my best man and I was visiting Eve just last Friday.
Quote:
My friend who passed on is not in the photo.
I am confused. The cutting says it was sent in by Mr Dennis Howson,there is a Dennis Howson in the photo, yet you say your friend is not in the photo
Old 07-01-2012, 12:05   #25
Rest in Peace

Quote:
I am confused. The cutting says it was sent in by Mr Dennis Howson,there is a Dennis Howson in the photo, yet you say your friend is not in the photo
Susie, you are letting your side down post 17 says Jack which relates to another friend of mine,suprisingley I did have quite a few. That is Jack Addison who passed on October 2010, Dennis Howson left us in 2009 hope that sorts it out for you?
Old 07-01-2012, 12:11   #26
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Susie, you are letting your side down post 17 says Jack which relates to another friend of mine,suprisingley I did have quite a few. That is Jack Addison who passed on October 2010, Dennis Howson left us in 2009 hope that sorts it out for you?
Yep should have spotted that but then I had forgotten that you were Roy Smethurst.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:17   #27
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Yep should have spotted that but then I had forgotten that you were Roy Smethurst.
May be we will meet on day and I will bring my birth cert
Old 22-01-2012, 09:20   #28

Hi all, well I have Harry Boyle cup winners medal, it was my fathers he played in goal for All Saints school Clayton I also think I may have a team photo somewhere but I get the impression it was a very prestigous cup to win as the medal is gold so there must have been quite a substantial sponsorship courtesy of Mr. Boyle. Old Saintonian.
Old Saintonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 13:07   #29
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Saintonian View Post
Hi all, well I have Harry Boyle cup winners medal, it was my fathers he played in goal for All Saints school Clayton I also think I may have a team photo somewhere but I get the impression it was a very prestigous cup to win as the medal is gold so there must have been quite a substantial sponsorship courtesy of Mr. Boyle. Old Saintonian.
Good to see your post,is there a date on the medal, and if you can find the photo I would like to see it.I am at moment waiting for a reply to an email from Mount Pleaant
Old 23-01-2012, 04:41   #30
I am Banned

i have got a cup final medal inscribed with harry byle cup final on it its in the shape of a shield with the writing engraved in black, date 1923,anyone know if it is of historic value or worth anything
alan7554 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..