Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 11:46   #1
Rest in Peace

Harry Boyle Cup

Is there anyone who can remember the Harry Boyle Cup played for with the local schools football teams from Oswaldtwistle,Rishton,Clayton-le-Moors Gt Harwood.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-01-2012, 15:59   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Harry Boyle Cup

If you struggle with the origin of this cup - I don't know who Harry was - give a ring to the Football Museum, which still has offices at the Preston site even though the museum itself is in Manchester now. Speak to Peter Holme, researcher. Top man. Please post the result.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 15:54   #3
Rest in Peace

Anyone know them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (386.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-01-2012, 18:03   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Anyone know them.
Can only think that the team was from your neck of the woods claytonx
Old 03-01-2012, 18:44   #5
Rest in Peace

I think you could be on to something there and after the pm I sent you I bet you could use your powers of deduction and recognise one.
Old 03-01-2012, 18:54   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I think you could be on to something there and after the pm I sent you I bet you could use your powers of deduction and recognise one.
Looking at the dates claytonx don't think I know many of those pictured I was only two when that was taken
Old 03-01-2012, 19:09   #7
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Anyone know them.
Could the goalie Bryan Mercer be a typo for Bryon Mercer of the Accy furniture place. According to the www he died in 2008 on a cruise ship in Limassol, aged 75, which would make him born in 1933 so about the right age.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 19:12   #8
Rest in Peace

Read the name on the PM and look again
Old 03-01-2012, 19:16   #9
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Could the goalie Bryan Mercer be a typo for Bryon Mercer of the Accy furniture place. According to the www he died in 2008 on a cruise ship in Limassol, aged 75, which would make him born in 1933 so about the right age.
Susie, were did you get your information from
Old 03-01-2012, 19:46   #10
Senior Member+

Another idea: Ask the Lancashire FA, which is based at Leyland.

Ask Accrington Library Local Studies if they have any cuttings or other notes on him.

Mr Howson, who sent the photo in, died about 2 yrs ago. His wife still lives in Willows Lane.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 19:57   #11
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Another idea: Ask the Lancashire FA, which is based at Leyland.

Ask Accrington Library Local Studies if they have any cuttings or other notes on him.

Mr Howson, who sent the photo in, died about 2 yrs ago. His wife still lives in Willows Lane.
Thanks I will, Dennis was my best man and I was visiting Eve just last Friday.
Old 03-01-2012, 21:46   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Susie, were did you get your information from
I googled Bryon Mercer Accrington and this came up. Notice the Accy Obs can't get the name right either - that should be a sacking offence! There's a good photo for comparison and it does say he went to Mount Pleasant and was a goalie. One down, ten to go!

Sorry didn't post this info earlier as I hadn't clicked on the google link which just mentioned his death.

http://menmedia.co.uk/accringtonobse...6_byron_mercer

Byron Mercer

October 27, 2008

DIY and electrical goods shop owner Mr Bryon Mercer has died on an Ocean Village cruise in Limassol, Cyprus, at the age of 75.
Mr Mercer, of Spring Gardens, Sefton Farm, Clayton-le-Moors, began his career as an apprentice joiner with the Co-op. In 1966 he started his own joinery business, doing a lot of work for local authorities.
He later moved into DIY and electrical goods and had shops in Clayton-le-Moors, Accrington, Blackburn, Clitheroe and Great Harwood, which we ran with his son Paul. His business grew to include the sale of kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms.
He was a member and one-time captain of Accrington Golf Club and also Clitheroe Golf Club. He loved travelling with his wife Lynda and going to the theatre, especially to watch his actress daughter Samantha.
More recently, he became a member of the Grange Bowling Club, Clayton-le-Moors.
He also had an interest in creative writing and had just finished his first full-length fictional novel entitled Frozen in Crime.
A great character who enjoyed life to the full, he was a Blackburn Rovers fan, having been a goalkeeper as a young man. He also used to box in Clayton-le-Moors.
Mr Mercer, who had lived in Clayton all his life, attended Mount Pleasant School in the town where he won the Victor Ludorum.
He leaves his wife, son and daughter.
He was due to be cremated at Accrington on Friday 24 October following a service conducted by Father Roger Parker.
Arrangements: Hyndburn Funeral Services.

Last edited by susie123; 03-01-2012 at 21:51.
Old 03-01-2012, 22:32   #13
Resting In Peace

Here's another one, about the right age.

Frank Drinkwater | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

Frank Drinkwater

July 22, 2005

CRICKETER and former football referee Mr Frank Drinkwater has died in Queen's Park Hospital, Blackburn, aged 71.
Mr Drinkwater, of Hawksworth Road, Accrington, left school at 15 to work at Bracewells, going on to do National Service at the age of 18.
He then worked at Carborundum and Allspeeds before fulfilling a lifelong ambition to become a partner in his own business - Accrington Grinding Co - until he retired at 59 for health reasons.
A keen sportsman, he played his first game of cricket for Enfield at the age of 13 and continued with the club for 30 years.
He played for the first team, captained the second team for nine years and went on to coach the first and second teams and juniors.
During this time Enfield won the Worsley Cup in 1989 and 1991.
He also served as chairman of the selectors' committee and part-time groundsman. He was an active lifelong member of Enfield's social club, often acting as compere.
As well as his lifelong passion for cricket, he supported Accrington Stanley and Burnley football clubs.
In his younger days he played football for many local teams, later refereeing in the Accrington Combination and West Lancashire League.
His refereeing claim to fame was that he was a linesman at a Burnley v West Brom game in the early 1970s.
He also enjoyed betting on the horses and gardening, and spent several holidays in Ireland, which he grew to love.
Brother of the late Alan, he leaves his partner Christine, children Susan, Paula, Christine, Kath, Steven, Helen and Mark, brother Stan and 10 grandchildren.
A funeral service led by humanist minister Carole Truman was held at Accrington Crematorium yesterday.
Arrangements: Hyndburn Funeral Services.
Old 03-01-2012, 22:38   #14
Resting In Peace

Just noticed the obit also mentions the late Alan who is also in the photo.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:26   #15
Resting In Peace

There was a Harry Abbott played cricket for Enfield 1953-58 The Home of CricketArchive

Also a Harry Abbott died 2010

Harry Abbott : Death - MEN Family Notices - MEN Media Network

HARRY ABBOTT A dearly loved Husband, Father and Grandfather, after a long illness, passed away suddenly on February 8 2010. Loved and missed by all who knew him. A private cremation service took place on Thursday February 18 at Accrington Crematorium. Donations in memory of Harry, if so desired, may be made to The Chemo Unit, Royal Blackburn Hospital c/o Hyndburn Funeral Services Queens Road, Accrington. All further enquiries Tel 01254 233133

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..