Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2011, 22:17   #1

Hippodrome Orchestra

Does anyone have any information about the Hippodrome Orchestra from the time it was a theatre?

I have just found a letter from my late father which says ".......did you know that Ronald* was a cellist and played in Accrington Hippodrome Orchestra when it was a theatre........"

*The Ronald referred to is Ronald Greenwood, my maternal grandfather. I also believe he played in Bury Brothers Orchestra.
Old 21-07-2011, 08:45   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Hippodrome Orchestra

That's going back a while, can vaguely remember going to see a circus there when I was 3 or 4 year old and a bloke holding a couple of lion cubs to show the kids, must have closed in the early 50s
Old 21-07-2011, 08:49   #3
Senior Member+

Roger. I have a Greenwood mate whose family was musical and artistic. I have sent him your query. They lived at 202 Burnley Rd.in early 50s. My mate's dad's name began with E. I think the library have some Hippodrome programmes. They should at least name the orchestra's leader
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 08:58   #4

Hi Bob, nice to hear from you again!

Thanks for taking the trouble.

I do have some E Greenwoods in our family, but not on Ronald's branch, but something may turn up.

The annoying thing is I had a photo of Ronald in an orchestra, but my mother destroyed it along with some others. I'm sure somebody somewhere will have a copy.
Old 21-07-2011, 10:11   #5
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That's going back a while, can vaguely remember going to see a circus there when I was 3 or 4 year old and a bloke holding a couple of lion cubs to show the kids, must have closed in the early 50s
And afterwards steak pudding and peas in the basement of Kenyons .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 10:20   #6
God Member

I recall an Ice Show where the skaters took it in turns to occupy the patch of ice which was about 6ft diameter. We were unsophisticated in our entertainment tastes in those days.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 11:20   #7
Senior Member+

Margaret R. Where was Kenyon's? I was a frequenter of Wells' shop -downstairs from street level, which was technically on Blackburn Rd but appeared to be at the top of King St, corner of Albion St. Pie & peas for 1/3d. Sometimes a double do. I recall your kid being with us, but not you, so maybe we were in different shops.
Old 21-07-2011, 11:29   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Margaret R. Where was Kenyon's? I was a frequenter of Wells' shop -downstairs from street level, which was technically on Blackburn Rd but appeared to be at the top of King St, corner of Albion St. Pie & peas for 1/3d. Sometimes a double do. I recall your kid being with us, but not you, so maybe we were in different shops.
I vaguely recall a chippy being at the top of King St but don't recall its name.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 11:38   #9
Senior Member+

Sorry M - I should have been asking JCB. I cannot recall a chippy there.
Old 21-07-2011, 12:27   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
And afterwards steak pudding and peas in the basement of Kenyons .
Hi, do you mean Kendalls? On Blackburn Road and corner of Fox Street?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg January26th2010hotel.jpg (384.0 KB, 7 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 12:33   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbarton View Post
The annoying thing is I had a photo of Ronald in an orchestra, but my mother destroyed it along with some others. I'm sure somebody somewhere will have a copy.
Hi, you have got me thinking. Approx 1993 some wonderful folk came over from Canada to have a "holiday" in Accrington, whilst doing family research. They were connected to the Briggs family (Joseph Briggs having donated the Tiffany Glass to the then Museum in Oak Hill Park). During our delving in Accrington library it came to light they were also connected to a "musical" Greenwood family who had lived in Percy Street here in Accrington. I remember even having a photo blown up and framed for them of this Greenwood orchestra. The skill of being a "violinist" from this Accrington family has gone overseas to Canada, where the descendants who lived there, are, to this day violinists in a big band over there.
I will have a root and toot for you and try and come up with some information for you. Not sure where it's "hidden" in my house at the moment. Soz.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 13:05   #12

Hi Atarah,

I think this may be a different Greenwood family, certainly Percy Street doesn't ring any bells, but a root and a toot might throw something up.

Was this Briggs family connected to the Bury Brothers? There's another thread on here about this; if so you may come accross something about Bury Brothers Ltd. where Ronald and his dad Alfred held high positions.
Old 21-07-2011, 16:06   #13
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, do you mean Kendalls? On Blackburn Road and corner of Fox Street?
Sorry . It was in the basement next to Kendalls , not Kenyons .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 19:14   #14

My Grandfather told me that Charlie Chaplin did a one nighter here before he became famous as did Stan Laurel before he went to America.I vaguely remember him saying that in the 60's.
He also explained that the audience would pelt the artists with anything if they were not entertaining .
johnenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 09:48   #15
Senior Member+

My Grenwood mate cannot find a ciobnnbection with your family.

Eric Sykes played his first professional engagement at th' Hipp.

My most vivid childhood memory is of a woman called 'Koringa' whose act involved snakes and crocodiles. It turned out that she came from Haslingden.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..