Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2013, 11:37   #1

Hippodrome Theatre

I've been prompted by the thread about the location of the theatre; and other than remembering that it was near the bus depot and backing on to Ellison's Tenement I can't help much.
However it did remind me of some of the acts appearing in the late '40s '50s.
Rob Wilton, came on stage carrying a plank, " I'm gooin to a board meetin". Harry (H)emsley, a RADIO ventriloquist!, sat on a chair and holding a newspaper in front of his face gave us 15 minutes about his children "what did Horace say Winnie?".
Novelty acts, illusionists, singers, 2 hours of good entertainment, 2 bob for mum, dad and me in the "gods".
Remember well Dr Crick and the Crackports, a comedy orchestra which mangled classical music long before Eric and Ernie ever did, a grand finale being Blight of the Fumblebee which ended with the drummer tippng over, dragging down the backcloth to reveal an elephant wandering about.
AGS orchesta then known as Dr Crick and the Crackpots. Good fun and all without any bad language.
I got involved (dragged in ) one week for a local amateur producction of New Moon as electrician's assistant ( how and why is another tale )
The plot involves a sea battle and we were provided with electrically detonated maroons to be let off in a dustbin, dress rehearsal, " bang", followed by an enormous cloud of dust and much coughing and confusion particularly from the orchestra pit. It was still coming down on the last night!.
Enough for one post, see what follows
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-08-2013, 11:46   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Hippodrome Theatre

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rome-2795.html
Old 24-08-2013, 20:13   #3
Senior Member+

The most memorable act I saw there was 'Koringa', a lady who had crocodiles and snakes. It turned out that she came from Haslingden
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 00:41   #4

My late Auntie Norah's mother Mrs. Bucket (NOT pronounced Bouquet!) had a boarding house in Ellison Street where the performers used to stay.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 06:18   #5
Senior Member+

The late Ereic Sykes' first professional engagement was at th'Hipp. It may well be that he stayed with Mr Bucket.
Old 25-08-2013, 07:38   #6
Senior Member+

Some of the performers used to stay at my grandparents house in Scaitliffe Street
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 07:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That's what got me here in the first place!. I felt that a new thread looking at the acts and the social effects of the theatre might be of use to preserve some of the history.
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 09:03   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire View Post
That's what got me here in the first place!. I felt that a new thread looking at the acts and the social effects of the theatre might be of use to preserve some of the history.
Ah didn't realise yeh had been in the photo section, thought just this un.http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...e-33604-7.html only trying to help.
Old 25-08-2013, 19:41   #9
Senior Member+

I can't remember any of these acts.
Old 25-08-2013, 20:34   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Are we supposed to report posts like this, or just leave it for mods to find?
I reported it hours ago, Yeh just made job harder fer em by highlighting it, so i will report yours so they will know ok.
Old 25-08-2013, 20:40   #11
Beacon of light

I reported it earlier today as well.
I'm sure it will disappear, along with the poster...very soon.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 21:02   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I reported it hours ago, Yeh just made job harder fer em by highlighting it, so i will report yours so they will know ok.
Ok, sorry for making it more harder, they can just delete my post. See them popping up every now and again and wondered if if there was anything I could do to help highlight them to the mods.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 21:18   #13
Beacon of light

Click on the 'report' button next to the scales at the lower right hand border under your name.
We all live and learn.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 21:27   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Ok, sorry for making it more harder, they can just delete my post. See them popping up every now and again and wondered if if there was anything I could do to help highlight them to the mods.
Sod all to be sorry fer, done it meself years ago.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..