Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 20:01   #1
Senior Member+

Historical events! Where were you?

I am asking where were you at any historical events that have occured.

I rememember the Lockerbie incident. We'd been out on the works do; about 30 of us have a meal in a resteraunt and then onto some clubs. I recall about 2 in the morning getting a cab and the driver told me and my girlfriend "there's been a massive plane crash in Scotland!"

To this day whenever the Lockerbie event is mentioned I always remember where I was when I heard it.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2012, 07:00   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Historical events! Where were you?

Can't remember where I was in 1066 but I do remember a mate of mine called Norman wasn't very popular with the locals.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:55   #3
Give, give, give member

I was up a grassy knoll, when I heard about President Kennedy being shot.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:58   #4
God Member

9/11 (Reece's 5th birthday) i was at my friends house and Reece was watching the telly, he came running into the kitchen and said 'mummy a building has been blown up'
Old 03-09-2012, 08:14   #5
Resting in Peace

Lockerbie, I was laid up in an hospital bed
Old 03-09-2012, 09:01   #6
Senior Member+

I heard about the Lockerbie air disaster on a radio newsflash about 7Pm,
The tanker was parked at home ready to be loaded with Caustic potash for Irvine, I was going to be passing Lockerbie about noon the day after. I was expecting to be turned of on to the A75 to go via Dumfries
As I reached the junction where the A75 leaves the A74 the police were just removing the cones and was letting the traffic though.
I continued up the A74 and the sight I saw at Lockerbie remains to this day, there was only one carriageway open and the police had a big sign saying "40 MPH minimum", they were waving traffic though and making sure there were no sightseers with camera.
There was smoke still rising from different places around and I distinctly remember the remains of a car on what was left of the Southbound carriageway.
It was a very eerie feeling which was still there on the Friday morning when I returned.

I hear about the twin towers bombing in the tractor cab when I was slurry spreading by the Calder at Dunkirk farm, the farmer called me in to his house to watch on TV.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:06   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Was driving from Stockport to Reddish when heard on car radio about 9/11, drove straight to me daughters n switched telly on.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:44   #8
Resting in Peace

9/11 I was sat at my computer with the TV on when it cam on the screen about 2pm I think at first I thought it was small plane, until the whole story started to come out then the second hit into the other tower, was horrendous
Old 03-09-2012, 09:46   #9
Resting in Peace

Remember the morning John Lennon got Shot the wife was up earlier that me and she shouted up for me to come down to watch the news was about 7am
Old 03-09-2012, 10:47   #10
God Member

i remember where i was when it came on the news about Diana, i'd just woke up and Reece's dad was making me a brew, i shouted of him and told him and he fell down running UP the stairs (stupid man)
Old 03-09-2012, 12:33   #11

I used to live in Cape Canaveral and would go to the beach at the end of our street. Always went there to watch the shuttles go up as the range was only just down the coast by about 2 miles. Had my camera going as the Challenger exploded above us, ran back to the apartment and watched the news from then on. Got a photo of the shuttle just before and just after they passed on!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:53   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
I used to live in Cape Canaveral and would go to the beach at the end of our street. Always went there to watch the shuttles go up as the range was only just down the coast by about 2 miles. Had my camera going as the Challenger exploded above us, ran back to the apartment and watched the news from then on. Got a photo of the shuttle just before and just after they passed on!!!
That reminds me of the owd N.A.S.A. joke.
Old 03-09-2012, 13:51   #13
Senior Member+

I was at Notting Hill Carnival in 97 and fell asleep in the park pished - I think it was the next day Diana was in the fatal accident - so I always link these together!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 14:03   #14
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I was at Notting Hill Carnival in 97 and fell asleep in the park pished - I think it was the next day Diana was in the fatal accident - so I always link these together!
She only died once, I bet you've been pished in that park many times.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 14:49   #15
Super Moderator

Not everyone's idea of a historical event, but it certainly was for me -

April 15th, 2006, 16.50. The "FT" sign went up on the TV screen at Woking v Accrington Stanley, which meant we were back in the football league after 44 years in exile.

Actually shed a few tears, silly owd sod that I am, looked up and said "there you go, dad, we're back!"

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..