Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-11-2014, 17:16   #1
Senior Member+

Home made carts!

Anyone remember making carts back in the 70's - though perhaps older folk did it in the 60's. Some used cheap pram wheels and axis and others went to this place in Oswaldtwistle where there were loads of wheels from disabled wheel chairs - I think it was, and nick them and then make these carts out of them - using wood for the structure - then race down Avenue Parade on them. Ring any bells?
maxthecollie likes this.

Last edited by kestrelx; 27-11-2014 at 17:19.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-11-2014, 18:03   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Home made carts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Anyone remember making carts back in the 70's - though perhaps older folk did it in the 60's.
Surprisingly we had wheels in the 40's and 50's- yes, they'd been invented by then.
Making carts from old pram wheels was very popular although rolling down a cobbled street was a bit of a rough ride- tested you and the cart to destruction!

Not many disabled could afford wheelchairs then so we didn't have as good a choice as you did.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 27-11-2014 at 18:05.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 18:35   #3

We had them in the Scouts in the 50's and raced them in a "Soap Box Derby"
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 18:49   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

We all used to make Trolleys in the 50s as we called em, Louis Hamilton had sod all on the Dowry St Racers.
Old 27-11-2014, 19:56   #5
Beacon of light

Yes we had them too.....ours was a long wheel base model
Have a read of this.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/b...re-riches.html

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 27-11-2014 at 19:58.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 20:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Anyone remember making carts back in the 70's - though perhaps older folk did it in the 60's. Some used cheap pram wheels and axis and others went to this place in Oswaldtwistle where there were loads of wheels from disabled wheel chairs - I think it was, and nick them and then make these carts out of them - using wood for the structure - then race down Avenue Parade on them. Ring any bells?
I bet you knicked them from next door to the Vine Mill up Ossie. My dear dad used to work their and they dealt with equipment for the disabled!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 21:08   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
I bet you knicked them from next door to the Vine Mill up Ossie. My dear dad used to work their and they dealt with equipment for the disabled!!
Nicked them from Fred Millers
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 19:15   #8

Those were the days, my dad would use a hot poker to make a hole in the centre, and a few inches from the back end, of a trolley's platform and we lads would bolt in a second trolley (minus the second trolley's front wheels bogie assembly, of course) so we'd have a double length trolley. We used to race our single trolleys down the concrete path which led from Moorhouse Avenue (I think) to Fife Street. It wasn't a long course but started off quite steeply and had three bends which didn't do large pram wheels much good!
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 21:31   #9

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

I had the LX luxury model...nailed an offcut piece of carpet on mine....string washing line as steering as opposed to the crappy plastic stuff my mates had and it was coloured red and white due to the wood being nicked from a disused signal box near Highams playing fields. Memory sucks now but think I got the wheels trading for some beauty marbles and a gun that fired pigeon peas (secagun??)

Remember my dad dragging me up in the middle of the night (6am), so that he could put his toolbox on it for me to drag to the bus stop when he started his new job
Stevie R likes this.
Old 28-11-2014, 21:41   #10
Senior Member+

Trolley in Summer and sled in winter down the back street of Oswald/Bold St - straight across Washington St - no brakes of course so a few near misses. Happy days.
Old 28-11-2014, 22:17   #11
Senior Member+

Home made carts!

You aint really trollied till you been down warwick street, many a worn out pair of shoes trying to stop before Buckingham Grove.

Last edited by gpick24; 28-11-2014 at 22:24.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 22:35   #12

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

I reckon NASA used the EVAC techniques used by us guys on out of control trolleys for moon landings and for designing the mars rover
Old 29-11-2014, 09:25   #13

I remember going down Peel Park Ave across Burnley Rd with a lookout and down Carlisle Ave !!!!
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 12:27   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Trolley in Summer and sled in winter down the back street of Oswald/Bold St - straight across Washington St - no brakes of course so a few near misses. Happy days.
But what about the cardboard and styrofoam?
Old 29-11-2014, 12:32   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Yeh probably I don't recall the exact name of the place - I just remember it was quite a climb to get in and out, over some fences. They were off old wheel chairs and had been taken off and I think even had breaks with a lever and also metal frame/axil (some even had suspension springs but they were hard to come by) - the pram wheels didn't last as long as these - they were much stronger. I think we only did if for a year or 2 at most - bit of a fad...

Last edited by kestrelx; 29-11-2014 at 12:40.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..