Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 18:04   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: How close did we come to killing ourselves as kids????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Many weekends in my childhood were spent at a farm in Ingleton.

I was playing on stacked hay bales in the barn. They weren't wrapped in black plastic in those days. I didn't see the narrow air gap which had been left between stacks and slipped down it. I recall the stacks were about 4 times my height. I shouted for help but no-one heard. I suppose my cries were muffled by the bales.

After several attempts I managed to climb out. I could have pulled bales onto me and suffocated.
Playing on stacked hay bales Margaret, nudge nudge wink wink
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-10-2012, 18:10   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Playing on stacked hay bales Margaret, nudge nudge wink wink
Being as I was aged 5 at the time, I find your comment offensive.

PS if you feel the need to apologize you will have to do so publicly because you will find that you are unable to PM me nor leave visitor messages.

Last edited by MargaretR; 05-10-2012 at 18:16.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 18:33   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Being as I was aged 5 at the time, I find your comment offensive.

PS if you feel the need to apologize you will have to do so publicly because you will find that you are unable to PM me nor leave visitor messages.
Somehow I could understand you finding it offensive had you mentioned your age at the time,

As it is I consider you to be some sort of perv' that would rather blame someone else.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 18:37   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Somehow I could understand you finding it offensive had you mentioned your age at the time,

As it is I consider you to be some sort of perv' that would rather blame someone else.
The thread title specifies childhood, and if I wasn't alone my calls for help would have been heard.

Jaysay uses innuendo inappropriately and offensively.

Last edited by MargaretR; 05-10-2012 at 18:40.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 19:18   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Came close a couple of times as a kid, but came even closer twice as a drunken teenager.
Can we have some more details please!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 19:21   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
With the brain cells still only few in number we were blissfully unaware how near to killing ourselves when nippers. I remember (just) walking along the remaining walls of a burnt out factory, about 30ish feet up. Old cars had been pushed into the space between the walls and I told my mates that I could jump down onto the roof of one of them for a "tanner" "go on then," bet made. off I went, the drop lasted forever and it started to dawn that this was stupid just about the same time I hit the roof of the car and my knees went way past my ears and bum hits the roof!!!! The only thing that saved me was the roof giving way and acting as a damper for the fall. Never did get my tanner!
I remember we used to climb on Peel Park School roof and throw lumps of earth at each other and someone chucked a stone and hit me on the head and I nearly fell off! I've still got the scar!

Also rope swings off trees in Ardenhall, over that slope. I slipped off the rope and fell to ground that knocked the wind out of me and I thought I was gonna die!

Last edited by kestrelx; 06-10-2012 at 19:25.
Old 06-10-2012, 19:23   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I nearly fell off!

Can you not do anything right?
Old 06-10-2012, 20:54   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Can we have some more details please!
Will knocked down by a double decker bus opposite clock garage on Whalley Rd, n knocked up in the air wi a sports car on Broadway suffice.
Old 06-10-2012, 21:09   #24

Quote:
Will knocked down by a double decker bus opposite clock garage on Whalley Rd, n knocked up in the air wi a sports car on Broadway suffice.
Why are the Evil lucky?

I've had a pure life, why couldn't I have been knocked over and survived?
Old 06-10-2012, 21:55   #25
I am Banned

[quote=Studio25;1021129]No chance
But I was sure I'd seen that the way petrol gets ignited in films (cigarettes and bullets) is a load of b*ll*cks - and a quick google brought this up as the first hit:
Petrol lit with a cigarette? Only in the movies | Film | The Guardian
Apparently, firing tracer bullets (which have burning phosphor on them) through fuel tanks won't ignite the petrol either.

During my time in the Fire Brigade we had many instances of people thinking things won't burn or explode, especially messing with empty oil & petrol containers, most of them lived to tell the tale.
As for tracer ammo they do not contain phosphurus, during WW2 there were 3 different types of tracer, 2 of them were for aircraft use only, the tips were coloured blue for daytime use & grey for nightime. The army tracer had red bullet tips. Some R.A.F. ammo belts had an incendiary round 1 in 10, they did contain phospherous, but designed in such a way that the phosporous in the bullet could only be activated on firing.
If a fuel tank has already been punctured by a ball or armour piercing round and along comes a couple of tracer, what do you think is going to happen, why did Bomber command loose so many aircraft going down in flames, what else could it be.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 22:53   #26

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Explains a lot.

Copied and pasted for the next time you disagree with one of my posts
Old 06-10-2012, 23:28   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Explains a lot.

Copied and pasted for the next time you disagree with one of my posts
What you mean he's got brain damage?
Old 06-10-2012, 23:49   #28

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
What you mean he's got brain damage?
Nope..was referring to the fact that he thought Keegan talked crap

Old 07-10-2012, 00:04   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
...why did Bomber command loose so many aircraft going down in flames, what else could it be.
Dunno - I suppose there aren't any other dangerous, explosive substances on a warplane...

Seriously - I'm only going off the research of others. I've never fired a bullet into a fuel tank or flicked a cigarette onto a trail of fuel.

My wife's brother-in-law (from her first marriage) tried to stop the fan inside a klaxon using just a finger. Not exactly close to killing himself, but that finger's half as long as the one on the other hand...

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 18:19   #30

When we could buy/find/steal a proper bow and an arrow with a proper tip on it the 1st thing we would do is fire it into the air then see if we could see it coming back at us???????
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..