Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2011, 16:33   #1

How far did you or your parents walk to save money.

Was talking to my Daughter the other night about nights out when I was a nipper. Told her that I, at least once a month walked back from the Cats Whiskers to Pendle St. Accy, no matter what the weather so I could spend my taxi money on a couple more drinks! She said she wouldn't have gone out if she had to walk anywhere! How far did you walk after spending up or how far did you have to walk to work every day?
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-11-2011, 16:41   #2
Senior Member+

Re: How far did you or your parents walk to save money.

if i was skint i used to walk from bacup to accy and back when i had a weekend job here
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 16:49   #3
Beacon of light

We used to walk fron Riley's Hill in Accrington to Peel Park school....not a long way I hear you say......but I was 7 years old at the time.......and did that until I was 11.

I have walked to Queen's Park Hospital in snowy weather when there was no transport........and home again

I regularly walked to Accrington when on the early turn at David Whiteheads in Rawtenstall.......the bus was at 5.30, my shift started at 6am.........I could just about make it to clock in before I was 'belled'.
So although much of my walking was not to save money.....I have walked my share.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 17:37   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Was talking to my Daughter the other night about nights out when I was a nipper. Told her that I, at least once a month walked back from the Cats Whiskers to Pendle St. Accy, no matter what the weather so I could spend my taxi money on a couple more drinks! She said she wouldn't have gone out if she had to walk anywhere! How far did you walk after spending up or how far did you have to walk to work every day?
Taxi money, when I was on the lash in my teens it didn't matter where you went, it was shankes pony on the way home, there were no taxi ranks in them days in fact the first time I saw a taxi was when I went on a school trip to London in about 58
Old 23-11-2011, 17:44   #5
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
We used to walk fron Riley's Hill in Accrington to Peel Park school....not a long way I hear you say......but I was 7 years old at the time.......and did that until I was 11.
Lived by the hospital, went to primary school at New Jerusalem Abbey St and home for lunch - not a very long way but four time a day on little legs...

And no adult supervision, just an older pupil - wouldn't be dreamt of these days.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 19:02   #6
Give, give, give member

When I was twelve my best friend lived in Wilpshire, and I walked there regularly. Partly because I wouldn't have the bus fare, and even if I did, it was quicker than getting a bus from Stanhill to Blackburn, then another to Wilpshire. Quicker to pull my wellies on, and head off over Whitebirk.

Walked back from school many times, the otherside of Blackburn town centre. So later would do the same thing after a night out.

In London I'd very often walk home from clubs, rather than get in some dodgy unlicensed cab, waiting outside wherever I'd been. Mainly because by the time I got into bed the room wouldn't be spinning...quite as as much.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 19:41   #7
God Member

Always walked home fro school -first from St.Marys Clayton to cranbourne drive Church, along the canal all weathers with sister Dnise and friend Charlotte who we dropped off half-way at her Grans. After from Paddock House back to same destination -no probs.

Used to walk over to friend Jaqui's at Edge End Gt.Harwood (gorgeous little cottages high up) from there we'd go over to Stonyhurst on a Saturday taking a picnic, to see our first boyfriends!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 20:12   #8
God Member

When my Grandad was courting my Grandma in the late 20's early 30's he used to walk over to Padiham from Rockmount in Altham West and back in an evening -if he was lucky someone lent him a bike...what devotion! They went out for 7 years before marrying and they were married for 63 years altogether -just as well he wasn't afraid of walking!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 23-11-2011, 21:02   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
When my Grandad was courting my Grandma in the late 20's early 30's he used to walk over to Padiham from Rockmount in Altham West and back in an evening -if he was lucky someone lent him a bike...what devotion! They went out for 7 years before marrying and they were married for 63 years altogether -just as well he wasn't afraid of walking!
I was talking last month to a recent widow, who walked daily from Padiham to Accrington, when she started work.

She's 100 in Febuary.

Her husband, who walked from Accy to court her, was 102.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 21:18   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Used to walk from Maudsley St to school- Accy Tech up Union Rd Ossy most days n back home after school........... mind yeh,yeh could buy separates wi the bus money in those days.
Old 23-11-2011, 22:30   #11
God Member

After boozing it up at the Junction, New Brewery or any other pub in Accy, I stumbled home to Clayton ... often walked home from Accy Grammar to Rishton Rd. .... no problem. If you were flush, you could get fish and six for the way home.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 23:05   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
After boozing it up at the Junction, New Brewery or any other pub in Accy, I stumbled home to Clayton ... often walked home from Accy Grammar to Rishton Rd. .... no problem. If you were flush, you could get fish and six for the way home.
That post reminds me though of how i used to waste money. used to get a taxi from the Castle to the Black Bull or visa-versa to save drinking time.
Old 24-11-2011, 09:26   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Used to walk from Maudsley St to school- Accy Tech up Union Rd Ossy most days n back home after school........... mind yeh,yeh could buy separates wi the bus money in those days.
I always used to walk to school at Holy Family and came home for diner and walked back again, god was I fit in those days
Old 24-11-2011, 09:28   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That post reminds me though of how i used to waste money. used to get a taxi from the Castle to the Black Bull or visa-versa to save drinking time.
Be truthful ya were that gatted ya couldn't walk
Old 24-11-2011, 21:52   #15
God Member

Used to walk every day from Paddock House to my Grand-parents on Exchange Street with my friend Andrea-we'd sometimes have a dinner from the chippy on the way (very unhealthy) or take sandwiches. Nanny would make us tea and offer cherry buns or Parkin.
We'd watch a programme called The Sullivans set in WW2 in Australia. My sister Denise walked down from Holy Family every day with her friends Catherine and Pauline....a great time was had by all.

Over 20 yrs on -we'd lost touch with Catherine and Pauline but my friend was called out to the suspicious death of a child last year (she's a police Inspectior). When she got there, the severely handicapped child's mother turned out to be Pauline - her son had died in his sleep, he had Cerebral Palsey. Andrea stopped all investigation and signed the necessary foms to save her the anguish of an autopsy and inquiry....

Walking is good excercise....and a great way to free the mind.

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..