Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 03:31   #1
God Member

how many remember this from their school days

Came across this via an obituary .... How many Accy web users of a certain age remember learning this at infants/junior school , wonder if present day kids learn these songs

YouTube - Do ya Ken John Peel
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2011, 09:16   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: how many remember this from their school days

Remember the song SJ actually did a little research into this chap in the whitehaven area of cumbria, there are A lot of pubs (or were) in the area are connected with this chap and the brewery, taken over by Matthew Brown in the 70s was called peel brewery's I think, all the research was done in licenced premises
Old 12-02-2011, 09:17   #3
Resting in Peace

The reason Matthew Brown took over this brewery was to gain the rights to Slalom Lager which was originally brewed by them
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Came across this via an obituary .... How many Accy web users of a certain age remember learning this at infants/junior school , wonder if present day kids learn these songs

YouTube - Do ya Ken John Peel
can remember vividly learning that at school, but it was a much cruder version.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:25   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I also remember having to learn, 'To be a farmers boy',

A most relevent and meaningful song to a lad growing up in a Mill Town.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:28   #6
Resting in Peace

The good ship Venus wasn't bad either
Old 12-02-2011, 10:41   #7
God Member

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 19:41   #8
Senior Member+

MargaretR,love the paintings of the ships, I remember 'The big Ship Sails' as being a girls song, sung to some sort of game. Am I right?
There's usually a story/legend behind these old songs and rhymes( a battle, the plague, a famous/notorious person etc.) John Peel was supposed to be a real person but where does 'The Big Ship' come from? Any idea?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 20:08   #9
God Member

I think it was a skipping rhyme

Anyone know the origins of the childrens song "The big ship sails on the alley alley oh?"What does it mean? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers
according to yahoo, it was to commemorate the opening of the Manchester ship canal in 1894

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 20:27   #10
God Member

think the link to Manchester ship canal is correct , I vaguely remember an early 60s film set in Manchester/Salford , "Taste of Honey" starring Rita Tushingham featuring the song in the soundtrack, part of the story involved her being dumped by a sailor
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 09:00   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Remember the song SJ actually did a little research into this chap in the whitehaven area of cumbria, there are A lot of pubs (or were) in the area are connected with this chap and the brewery, taken over by Matthew Brown in the 70s was called peel brewery's I think, all the research was done in licenced premises
I used to deliver sulphuric acid to a Whitehaven company in the 70,s and the pub I used when I stayed over was just being repainted in Matthew Browns livery. Previous to that it had Cleator Brewery over the door.
Was Peel Brewery at Cleator or were they two different ale makers.

The stuff was still brewed up there and tasted far better then the Mat Browns rubbish I drank in the Castle in Accrington.

I remember singing the John Peel song but it had something to do with steel spherical objects attached to lower part of the torso.

Last edited by Gremlin; 13-02-2011 at 09:03.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 09:18   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I used to deliver sulphuric acid to a Whitehaven company in the 70,s and the pub I used when I stayed over was just being repainted in Matthew Browns livery. Previous to that it had Cleator Brewery over the door.
Was Peel Brewery at Cleator or were they two different ale makers.

The stuff was still brewed up there and tasted far better then the Mat Browns rubbish I drank in the Castle in Accrington.

I remember singing the John Peel song but it had something to do with steel spherical objects attached to lower part of the torso.
Not sure if they are the same bribery or not Gremlin, I know they used to brew Slalom up there and transport it down here, I suppose they needed a decent lager as the lion lager they used to sell was total crap
Old 13-02-2011, 15:02   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
think the link to Manchester ship canal is correct , I vaguely remember an early 60s film set in Manchester/Salford , "Taste of Honey" starring Rita Tushingham featuring the song in the soundtrack, part of the story involved her being dumped by a sailor
We covered that in O Level English, not only was she left abandoned by the sailor he was black & she was pregnant, her mam was a bit loose & took up with a fancy man & then the young Lass then gets taken in & looked after by a gay fella.

This all in the 50's ! So when you look at our modern society, no great change really, just a lot more of the same but without the stigma & tut tutting behind the nets. Actually quite a good book & insight into some of the everyday situations faced by many through the years.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..