Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2008, 05:47   #16

Re: Huncoat Cable Cars !

I think there was a lodge in that area to, am I right.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2008, 21:00   #17

There certainly was a lodge there, I remember that as it disappeared much more recently. The new estate "Foxwood Chase" is built on the site.
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 16:52   #18
Senior Member+

Did these cable cars link up to a railway line that ran down behind Accy cricket club ? I remember playing down there as a kid and the sleepers and track were still visible, I remember there being a bridge down there too.
Old 27-01-2008, 11:34   #19
Senior Member+

no the ariel cars only fed the redac brickworks
the railway behind the cricket pavilion locally called the donkey track
ran from the main line to the nori brickworks at altham
transreing coal one way and red bricks tother

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 13:30   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Did these cable cars link up to a railway line that ran down behind Accy cricket club ? I remember playing down there as a kid and the sleepers and track were still visible, I remember there being a bridge down there too.
no but the line yer on about used to have a great bogie, which used to gather great speed down the slope when we snaffled it.
Old 30-01-2008, 16:29   #21

thanks beechy for the flashback to the railway that went past the cricket ground i used to go in huncoatbrick sdgs signal box has a lad when the loco used to come fron nori brickworks with a train of bricks there .is a railway mag called railway bylines july 2007 issue done a few pages on the railway from huncoat mine to altham and nori some good photos in there i am sure you can get back copies i know w h smiths sell it if are intrested
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 13:57   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
no but the line yer on about used to have a great bogie, which used to gather great speed down the slope when we snaffled it.
Digressing a little, but do you remember all those cylindrical concrete blocks on their side on this land .. what were they all about ? Good fun though, jumping from one to another.

Was also good for bike rides, little paths through the grass .. sorta' mini scrambling track.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 14:15   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Digressing a little, but do you remember all those cylindrical concrete blocks on their side on this land .. what were they all about ? Good fun though, jumping from one to another.

Was also good for bike rides, little paths through the grass .. sorta' mini scrambling track.
there was a load of them dumped behind our houses on laneside 50s/60s
me mam always told me they were used to block of burnley road during the war ?
unless someone knows better

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 14:31   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
there was a load of them dumped behind our houses on laneside 50s/60s
me mam always told me they were used to block of burnley road during the war ?
unless someone knows better
Yes. Beechy that's where I meant .. the land at the side of the cricket ground and behind Laneside. Well, sounds a good explanation to me, would be interesting to have it confirmed though, wouldn't it ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 17:28   #25
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt View Post
i remember cable cars from quarry to redack brick works in huncoat and there is a tunnell under burnley rd roughly accrington side of hillock vale and i have been through it wen i was a lad. in 1957.
well burt where did you live when you saw them i lived in huncoat in 1957 in Burnley lane and i remember my oldest brother and dad worked at the Brickworks amy bracewell
Amy Bracewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:15   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
There certainly was a lodge there, I remember that as it disappeared much more recently. The new estate "Foxwood Chase" is built on the site.
I have only just spotted this post, the lodge referred too above was in fact two reservoirs, run by the Accrington water works board, (or so I have always been led to believe).

I think the borough is now linked in to the Hawswater pipeline to Manchester which runs through Huncoat and under what is now Foxwood Chase, It is in fact four large diameter pipes.

There was also a large flooded old shale quarry with a ginny wagon track alongside that carried shale from the new quarry by Kingsway to the aerial flight is it was known that carried the tubs of shale to the Redac brickyard.

I, along with other newly started workers aged 15-16 or so were sent with hammers to knock the ice from the ginny wagon tracks and trucks.That was when we had proper winter's. (By god I still remember the trudge up through the snow). Yours Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:24   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Bracewell View Post
well burt where did you live when you saw them i lived in huncoat in 1957 in Burnley lane and i remember my oldest brother and dad worked at the Brickworks amy bracewell
Hi Amy, did your dad and brother work at the Redac in the 1960s? if so what are their full names ? as I presume, rightly or wrongly that Bracewell is your married name; I worked at the Redac from 1962 until 1967 and have lived in the village since 1954 so I could well know you and you family. Yours Taddy
Old 03-05-2014, 21:05   #28

I remember them,Redac bricks was the sign fixed to the so called safety guards,i think they still used it till well in the 70s.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 18:51   #29

Yes, you are right about the Redac sign Jack, I have a picture of the Aerial flight with the Redac sign on both sides of the,as you say, (so called safety guards)
Old 04-05-2014, 19:11   #30
Senior Member+

Amy's maiden name was Bracewell. She had a younger brother, Ralph, and maybe an older brother too. I will let her know about this thread being resurrected.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..