Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 18:59   #31

Re: Huncoat Cable Cars !

Ralph Bracewell does ring a bell in the old subconcious, but I just cannot bring him or the family to mind, maybe with a little prompting from this forum the memory's will return.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2014, 17:33   #32
Junior Member+

The ariel flight crossed over Burnley Road and had a net under it to protect the cars etc from falling clay. I think it supplied Clay from the Quarries on the coppice to the Huncoat Brick works. Known as "Redac Bricks" I think
Mike Rotheram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 18:26   #33

Hi, if you look back to the start of this thread it tells you all about the aerial flight, Redac, etc. Yours Taddy
Old 27-07-2014, 23:29   #34

Did R.Bracewell used to be in haulage etc.?
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 06:02   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack preston View Post
Did R.Bracewell used to be in haulage etc.?

No - that's a different family. Ralph has a sister, Amy and a brother whose name I have forgotten.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 17:17   #36
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Hi Amy, did your dad and brother work at the Redac in the 1960s? if so what are their full names ? as I presume, rightly or wrongly that Bracewell is your married name; I worked at the Redac from 1962 until 1967 and have lived in the village since 1954 so I could well know you and you family. Yours Taddy
Hi Taddy, I've just read this post. I'm trying to find a picture of Redac. My Dad, Auntie & Grandad worked there. Maybe yuo knew them. Dad was Reg Barnes (a foreman I think who may have worked nights& lived on Yorkshire Street until 1964). Auntie was Mary Haworth & Grandad was Joseph Tierney. Thanks, Alison Conboy (nee Barnes).
AlisonBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:52   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonBarnes View Post
Hi Taddy, I've just read this post. I'm trying to find a picture of Redac. My Dad, Auntie & Grandad worked there. Maybe yuo knew them. Dad was Reg Barnes (a foreman I think who may have worked nights& lived on Yorkshire Street until 1964). Auntie was Mary Haworth & Grandad was Joseph Tierney. Thanks, Alison Conboy (nee Barnes).
Hello Alison,I have only just spotted your post, I don't use this Bill Gate's contraption to often, the predictive text does my head in.
As to your question, yes I do have an arial photograph of the Redac Brickworks the photo also shows the old railway viaduct that carried the coal from Broad Meadows Colliery, (Huncoat Pit), to Altham Coke Works.
As for Reg, I worked under him and Billy Middleton from 1963 until 1965 until I was trained as one of the three forklift truck drivers employed by Redac.
If you would like a copy of the above mentioned photo please P.M. me
Stay happy as ever, Your's Taddy
P.S. did you by any chance once live on Burnley Lane in the village ?
Old 08-03-2019, 10:02   #38

I can remember very vividly the "Cable Cars" going across Burnley Road. To my knowledge they were used for taking material to the NORI brick works.

Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:23   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
I can remember very vividly the "Cable Cars" going across Burnley Road. To my knowledge they were used for taking material to the NORI brick works.

Cheers
The cable cars, IE. the arial flight that ran across Burnlley Road fed the "REDAC"
brickyard, not the Nori, I have a photograph of the flight with the name "Redac"
emblazened on both sides.
The Nori, Enfield and Whinney hill brickyards had their own quarries on Whinney Hill, the Whinney Hill, or "Plastic", as it used to be known as is still in operation.
Your's, TADDY.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:35   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Amy's maiden name was Bracewell. She had a younger brother, Ralph, and maybe an older brother too. I will let her know about this thread being resurrected.
I have been re-perusing this and I think that Ralph and Amy's mother was always known affectionatly as "Irish Ellen"; I have no doubt that Amy can put me right on that.Also I think that Ralph may have attended Woodnook School;
Again I could stand to be corrected.
Your's Taddy.
Old 08-03-2019, 15:03   #41

Hi Taddy,
I stand corrected, it was indeed REDAC.

Thanks & Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:31   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
Hi Taddy,
I stand corrected, it was indeed REDAC.

Thanks & Cheers
No problem, I remember the flight well, as a fifteen or sixteen year old along with others of the same age, we had to clear the guard netting under it if the spillage from the tubs became a danger to folk underneath. No health and safety rules in those day's.
All the best, Your's, Taddy.
Old 14-03-2019, 13:50   #43
Senior Member+

I was in the Accy Mall Heritage Centre today and had a great chat with 'Attarah' who is a fount of local knowledge and a truly lovely lady!
We talked about lots of stuff and as I was brought up on Within Grove I too remember the Aerial Cable System over Burnley Road. It traversed the road just before the St Augustine's Vicarage, which was the next house on the right, as you head towards The Griffin's Head pub.
I too remember the triangle of rail track and tipper trucks at the quarry and the one at the end of the Cableway near to the REDAC works
at the bottom of the football pitch on the spoil hill, used now by Huncoat United FC.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 14:04   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
I was in the Accy Mall Heritage Centre today and had a great chat with 'Attarah' who is a fount of local knowledge and a truly lovely lady!
We talked about lots of stuff and as I was brought up on Within Grove I too remember the Aerial Cable System over Burnley Road. It traversed the road just before the St Augustine's Vicarage, which was the next house on the right, as you head towards The Griffin's Head pub.
I too remember the triangle of rail track and tipper trucks at the quarry and the one at the end of the Cableway near to the REDAC works
at the bottom of the football pitch on the spoil hill, used now by Huncoat United FC.
The one at the Redac end of the cableway was known as the "Angle Station", I have climbed up it more times then I care to remember; when one of the buckets wheels became detached from the ropeway someone had to go up with a sledge hammer in order to knock the said tub off. The biggest bind was that it nearly always happened in the thick of winter.

Your's Taddy.
Old 27-03-2019, 16:52   #45
Junior Member+

Hi Taddy, thanks for your reply. I would love a copy of the photo. Would you be able to send it as an email attachment? My Mum, Dad, sisters Linda, Susan & Geoff lived in the bottom house on Yorkshire Street until just before I was born in Feb 1964. We moves to Langdale Close, on the estate for my arrival because there wasn't any room left for a cot at Yorkshire St. Don't know a lot about Redac except that I spent my early years playing in the piles of bricks and sliding down the slope of the quarry & pond that was nect to Fish Lane. I did go to school in the village though. Unfortunately my Dad died in 1972 so I didn't get many years with him. If you can send the pic via email my address is:- [email protected]. Many thanks, Alison.
AlisonBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..