Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2014, 16:40   #1

Huncoat Youth Club

Hi all, I am a newcomer to the Accrington Web but an elderly gent of the village of Huncoat, I have lived in the village for sixty years this year.
A mate and I were reminiscing recently about the youth club that used to be held in huncoat junior school in the 1950/60s, the topic was the name of the leader, organizer, whatever they were called in those far of days.
All that we could remember was that he was a large approachable guy who I think came from Burnley, is anyone on this web blessed with a better memory than two elderly gentlemen of Huncoat.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-03-2014, 17:27   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Huncoat Youth Club

Careful Taddy, I used to go to Huncoat youth club in the late 50s and I don't consider myself ELDERLY. Now what was your question?
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 17:41   #3
Senior Member+

I have sent one off to Ralph & Amy Bracewell, who probably attended HYC
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 21:13   #4

Hi Bob, would you by any chance be related to Charlie Dobson who lived in the so called Russel houses on Burnley road?, he had a son who was a mate of mine at Woodnook school; name of Brian.
Yours Taddy
Old 30-03-2014, 20:41   #5

Come on people, surely i'm not the only one on this web site who went to Huncoat youth club in the late 50s, early 60s,Who was the big guy who used to run the club ?
Old 30-03-2014, 21:20   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Hi Bob, would you by any chance be related to Charlie Dobson who lived in the so called Russel houses on Burnley road?, he had a son who was a mate of mine at Woodnook school; name of Brian.
Yours Taddy
Not one of my family so far as I am aware,
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 21:28   #7
Beacon of light

Teddy, were you at Woodnook school at the same time as Roy Wallace and Patrick Varley?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 04:00   #8
Senior Member+

Taddy, the only "old" person I can remember at the youth club was Ronnie Howland who was also a teacher at the tech up Ossy. There are some photo's on here if you search back through the archives. Incidentally we had a great football team there in the late 50s.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 10:14   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Teddy, were you at Woodnook school at the same time as Roy Wallace and Patrick Varley?
There was 2 geezers i supped wi fer years in 60s. Sadly Pats long gone, n Roys in a electric buggy.
Old 31-03-2014, 19:07   #10
Beacon of light

I used to see Patrick on the bus to Blackburn sometimes. Not sure if he recognised me in uniform though.
Old 31-03-2014, 19:17   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I used to see Patrick on the bus to Blackburn sometimes. Not sure if he recognised me in uniform though.
If that was when he was going down rovers,i was usually wi him.
Old 31-03-2014, 19:49   #12
Beacon of light

No Cashy, it was on the early morning bus....ten minutes to six....I was going on duty.....and it was the bus from Burnley(though he could have hopped on at the Load of Mischief).
Old 31-03-2014, 19:52   #13
Beacon of light

I can remember the name 'taddy'.....not sure if taddy would know my brothers....Mick and Peter.....strange though I can't put a face to the name. Not like me at all. Have a good memory for names and faces.
Old 01-04-2014, 21:05   #14

Wink Re: Huncoat Youth Club

Quote:
Yes Margaret, I remember Roy and Patrick well, in fact Patrick and I both played football for Woodnook school, Pat Varley was the Captain.
It's only the other day I was looking at the Woodnook football team photograph and I have said many times that I must take it down to the Accy Observer office and get them to print it in their paper.

I am presuming rightly or wrongly that Pilkington is your married name, if so what is the surname of your brothers Mick and Peter?
Yours, Taddy, 67 years old white haired on the outside but 21 and pure gold on the inside.
Old 01-04-2014, 21:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Taddy, the only "old" person I can remember at the youth club was Ronnie Howland who was also a teacher at the tech up Ossy. There are some photo's on here if you search back through the archives. Incidentally we had a great football team there in the late 50s.
Thanks for that, if I can figure out how to access the archives I'll have a look.
Cannot remember a Ronnie Howland unfortunately

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..