Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 20:37   #1

Hyndburn Park Athletics Team Picture 1950 ?

Looking through some old photos I found one of my Mother when she was at School I remember her saying it was Hyndburn Park but I could be wrong, I'm guessing its 1950ish

Thought I'd put it up in case anyone remembers themselves on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0476.jpg (284.6 KB, 98 views)
AccyGirl and margaretb like this.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2013, 07:39   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Hyndburn Park Athletics Team Picture 1950 ?

At that time, pupils left aged 15yrs.When was your mum born ( if she is on the pic) and then calculate after a guess at her age on it. LitlePom and Gordon Booth will post when they arise from slumber. It's only 8.40am now
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:52   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
At that time, pupils left aged 15yrs.When was your mum born ( if she is on the pic) and then calculate after a guess at her age on it. LitlePom and Gordon Booth will post when they arise from slumber. It's only 8.40am now
You been on the stupid pills again - I am sure there will be a pertinent response
Old 05-03-2013, 12:31   #4

Trying to work it out my Mother was born 1939 I think, she's the little one on the far left as you look at he photo. She used to tell me she was small and fast
Old 05-03-2013, 14:19   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
What are you doing, posting in the middle of the night? Insomnia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
Trying to work it out my Mother was born 1939 I think, she's the little one on the far left as you look at he photo. She used to tell me she was small and fast
Shurm, I don't recognise anyone on the photo and I was there from 47 to 52.
But I wasn't very athletic and I was too young to bother with small fast girls so.....
The hair styles don't look late 40's, early 50's and I don't remember sports teams having such smart outfits- more blouses tucked into blue knickers( I remember them)- only for the girls of course.
Perhaps littlepom can help.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 15:12   #6
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post

Shurm, I don't recognise anyone on the photo and I was there from 47 to 52.
But I wasn't very athletic and I was too young to bother with small fast girls so.....
The hair styles don't look late 40's, early 50's and I don't remember sports teams having such smart outfits- more blouses tucked into blue knickers( I remember them)- only for the girls of course.
Gordon would you remember Harry Dean, or his sisters Rennie or Olive they lived in the last terraced house just under the railway bridge at the bottom of Milnshaw Lane.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:41   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:

more blouses tucked into blue knickers( I remember them)- only for the girls of course.
You surprise me Gordon - I thought it was only Bob that had the blue knicker fetish
Old 05-03-2013, 17:00   #8

Quote:
Looking through some old photos I found one of my Mother when she was at School I remember her saying it was Hyndburn Park but I could be wrong, I'm guessing its 1950ish

Thought I'd put it up in case anyone remembers themselves on it
Hi Shurm,
Well I was there during juniors and seniors. The girl with the glasses is called Pat Ashton. I think she is the only one I recognise.
?What was your mums name.
I will get the photo printed out and take it with me when I meet some of the "girls" for lunch next Wednesday. I was never that althletic only being small myself. The only thing I played was netball in the "white blouse and navy nickers" which are so famous and thought of fondly by SOME people.
Today would be called perverts.
Littlepom.
PS Up before Bob this morning.
littlepom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 17:02   #9

Quote:
Tut tut Bob,

Up before that time. Admit I was in bed reading the paper and drinking my coffee. Being spoilt by you know who!!!!!

Cheers Littlepom.
Old 05-03-2013, 18:35   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Gordon would you remember Harry Dean, or his sisters Rennie or Olive they lived in the last terraced house just under the railway bridge at the bottom of Milnshaw Lane.
Don't think so, Gremlin although Olive rings a bell. I have a terrible memory for names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
You surprise me Gordon - I thought it was only Bob that had the blue knicker fetish
Be fair, Barry, that's all there was back then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepom View Post
The girl with the glasses is called Pat Ashton.

That name rings a bell but I don't remember Pat Ashton in glasses.

The only thing I played was netball in the "white blouse and navy nickers" which are so famous and thought of fondly by SOME people.

Now, littlepom, names I forget but some things I do remember!And I remember you!

Today would be called perverts.

In those days it was called normal.
So what year do you think it was, littlepom? They look like seniors to me so I would never have dared look at them.

Shurms mother looks much younger than the rest, she must have been 'fast' if she could play in a team with much older ones.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:41   #11

Her maiden name was Doreen Beaghan
Old 05-03-2013, 18:48   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Shurms mother looks much younger than the rest, she must have been 'fast' if she could play in a team with much older ones.
Looks like athletics rather than a team sport to me.
Old 05-03-2013, 19:56   #13

Quote:
Don't think so, Gremlin although Olive rings a bell. I have a terrible memory for names.

Be fair, Barry, that's all there was back then!

So what year do you think it was, littlepom? They look like seniors to me so I would never have dared look at them.

Sorry Gordon can't think what year it was, but talking to Maureen Noonan (O'Brien) and she thinks if they wern't on it could have been Juniors. Anyway will talk it with me when we meet up and see if any more names can come to light. By the way Maureen said she was called Terri Ashton.
Littlepom.
Old 05-03-2013, 19:58   #14

Quote:
Her maiden name was Doreen Beaghan
Sorry Shurm name doesn't ring a bell. By the way it was Terri Ashton not Pat.
Will keep you posted if any more news comes to light.
Littlepom.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34   #15

Ok thanks.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..