Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2006, 22:12   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Jazz Club

tom robinson was he a tall guy with black hair? if so remember vagly.
Old 19-08-2006, 22:26   #47

very tall guy with blonde hair.Used to hang out in the dahlia at times.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 08:21   #48
Super Moderator

Wasn't Tom Robinson in a band called the Francis T. Construction? Kev "Florrie" Florentine was the drummer, too, if I remember rightly.
Old 02-11-2006, 16:01   #49
Junior Member+

It's been great reading of all your great memories. Does anyone believe there is room in Accringtons nightlife for a good quality Jazz & Blues night? I have the venue and ive been thinking of a Jazz / Blues night for a while. Maybe fortnightly on a Wednesday night. Any comments ?
Will,will do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 16:06   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will,will do
I have the venue and ive been thinking of a Jazz / Blues night for a while. Maybe fortnightly on a Wednesday night. Any comments ?
Yeah, go for it....although friday/saturday would be better.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 17:37   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Yeah, go for it....although friday/saturday would be better.
splendid idea, but agree with T, fri/sat/ even sun,would be much better recieved i think.
Old 26-10-2007, 15:12   #52
Super Moderator

Came across these reminiscences about the Jazz club on a jazz-related site which I thought might be of interest to some of you who frequented the old place.

Accrington Jazz Club

Dear Fred,

It's been a while since I contributed, but a recent item on the news page jogged my memory cells (more of that later). This must be of interest to you as a native Accringtonian.

As a teenager in the late 60s, I lived in Blackburn and was made aware that there was a club in Accrington where we daring 17 year olds could safely go to be served alcohol with no questions asked. This turned out to be Accrington Jazz Club, which operated on Saturday and Sunday evenings at the old Accrington Stanley Club at Peel Park.

The resident band on Saturday was usually the Silver Bell Jazz Band, which then was a full 7-piece and included John Rothwell on drums and sometimes bass. I was later to play regularly with John in Southport in the early 80s. The only other members I remember clearly were Keith Moore on clarinet and the late Frank Caunce on trombone. This was my first introduction to New Orleans jazz as opposed to the traddy stuff we were all exposed to on the radio at that time, good as a lot of it was. However, the live music I first heard at Peel Park was a revelation from which I never looked back.

Apart from the music, the club had a great atmosphere of its own. The crowd was a young adult rather than a teenage one, and time may have coloured my judgement, but all the girls were beautiful! The guy who ran the club must have been at least 40, and smoked a huge curved pipe. He used to jive with 2 girls at a time with the pipe in his mouth and I wondered what his secret was. I started smoking a pipe as well but it did not work for me!

The admission cost half a crown, and Duttons Trophy retailed at 1s-9d a pint. At the interval they served pie and peas for a shilling.

On Sunday evenings there was usually a guest band from further afield. However, our A-Level studies, as well as limited finances generally prevented our going there on Sunday as well. I recall two Sunday sessions when I saw Alan Elsdon, and a band from Manchester which included Derek Galloway on trombone.

The one session I truly regret missing was announced as follows:- "Next Sunday, we are presenting a blues pianist and singer from Halifax, called Champion Jack Dupree." We all said, "Never heard of him" and decided to give him a miss. What we did not know was that while he lived in Halifax, he was in fact from New Orleans and was one of the original barrelhouse/boogie style pianists. A year later, when at college I became caught up in the electric blues wave which was current at the time, and heard Champion Jack's sessions with Peter Green's (original) Fleetwood Mac, I realised what I had missed.

Finally, a band from Liverpool appeared once, called the Savoy Jazz Band, and the trombone player was Bart Poole. Twenty years years later, I joined the Mathew St Ragtime Jazz Band of which Bart was (and still is) a member. We reminisced about Accrington Jazz Club, and the main thing Bart remembered were the pies! We both agreed they were in a class of their own. Only one other pie came close. On leaving school, (and Blackburn) I studied at St Martins College in Lancaster, and used to frequent a pub which served an excellent pint of Guinness and a superb pie to go with it. This pub was the Fox and Goose which I see on the News Page is likely to become a jazz venue. So it seems that what goes around comes around in all sorts of ways, and my advice to Les Bull is --make sure they still serve the pies!!

Phil Yates. Yarrow River Jazz Band.
07/12/04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to play at the Accrington Jazz Club at the Accrington Stanley Football Social Club with The Zenith Six. I cannot remember anything about the music but the Steak & Kidney Pudding with Mushy peas were something else. They were homemade by a lady who always saved 6 portions for the band. I think the lady who made the puddings should have been given an OBE.

Mart Rodger
08/12/04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel its high time a mention is made of the Rainy City Jazzband and particularly regards Accrington Jazz Club, R.C.J.B. played there many times in the 60s the line up Bruce Bakewell reeds; myself trumpet; Pete Haslam or Tom Peder trom; Ian McCann banjo; Dave Parr bass and Barry Wilkinson drums. Even though I say it myself this was a "Hot " band. This venue had a terrific atmosphere the crowd fantastic even as I write it conjures up vivid memories. I seem to recall the chap who ran it was named Wilf and at the end of some sessions he invited us back for supper which was a new fangled dish called Currie (new in the 60s anyway) The R.C.J.B. played all over the Northwest and beyond throughout the 60s does anyone out there have memories to share? Also does anyone know the whereabouts of Barry Wilkinson and Pete Haslam? I think Pete is in the West of England .

Harold Roberts
Old 26-10-2007, 17:28   #53
Senior Member+

so lots of early greats at the jazz club
actually saw jack dupree and was told at the
time he had been a boxer hence the name Champion
talking of the boxer also saw paul simon
i seem to recall the riverside jazzmen from accy at the time

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 18:44   #54
Super Moderator

Yep, I saw Champion Jack too. He was brilliant. The reason he was living in Halifax, was because he had married a lady from that town. In his earlier profession he contested 107 bouts in the lightweight division but after a title defeat in 1939/40, he decided to concentrate on pounding the ivories.

Don't remember these bands that they're on about, but I do remember the Riverside Jazzmen. Was never really into trad jazz, but it was great music for getting ratarsed to. "I scream, you scream, everybody loves ice cream..." Happy days!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:20   #55
Junior Member+

I also have great memories of Saturday nights at the Jazz Club. Didn't David Lloyd's wife used to work behind the bar.

I remember seeing Kenny Ball and Acker Bilk and didn't Jon Anderson play in a band there for a time?

I lived in Darwen at the time and often used to end up walking home!
Oddbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 21:43   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbod View Post
I also have great memories of Saturday nights at the Jazz Club. Didn't David Lloyd's wife used to work behind the bar.

I remember seeing Kenny Ball and Acker Bilk and didn't Jon Anderson play in a band there for a time?

I lived in Darwen at the time and often used to end up walking home!
jon anderson was in the warriors saw them many times, but can,t remember now if at the Jazz club, was usually Rat-Arsed in those days, or summat else.
Old 08-01-2008, 22:17   #57
Resident Waffler

The Warriors played a lot of local gigs and probably included the Jazz Club.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 19:58   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
The Warriors played a lot of local gigs and probably included the Jazz Club.
can remember em playing Mary Mags, but where else i cannot think.
Old 14-01-2008, 07:45   #59

Pretty sure they didnt play the Jazz Club. The Arcs, yes and the Con.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 22:29   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Pretty sure they didnt play the Jazz Club. The Arcs, yes and the Con.
tend to agree with Al, wouldn,t put money on it though.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..