Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013, 20:10   #106
I am Banned

Re: Jazz Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't think they needed to advertise Dave, it was chocker bloc every Sunday, word of mouth was a great way of communication, they just put a notice on the board as to how was coming to the club and that was sufficient
You are probably right John... remember hearing Paul Simon sing his "Sound of Silence" unaccompanied (obviously) long before the Bachelors sang it and being blown away by the poignance in the lyrics post the assassination of JFK.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-03-2015, 15:00   #107
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think you've got that wrong beechy, Fossy was the bass guitar when the group was first formed and the lead was not Rod Hill it was a lad called John Hill he live in a little shop on Higher Antley Street, Rod Hill was always a Lead Guitar, he used to live on Hornby Street Ossy he might still be there, I know he used to give lessons as well. The reason Im so sur on these facts was that I was at all thei practice sessions and all their gigs in the early years. Tony and Ian Alveston were my mates, I went right through school with Tony rom St. Mary' Ossy when we were 5 year old until we left Holy Family at sixteen, in this time we were in the same class apart from 3 months at Holy Family
Hello there Id like a chat if I may re The Warriors days. I am doing a project. Dave
daveyesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 15:44   #108
Mog

Dave, it all depends on who you want to chat with. I believe that Jaysay has passed on mate.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 18:52   #109
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Dave, it all depends on who you want to chat with. I believe that Jaysay has passed on mate.
True me owd mucker passed away last year.
Old 24-08-2015, 11:58   #110
Senior Member+

Hello Cashy! ON STANLEY ON!
I started Secondary 'Schoow' at Rhyddings in 1963 and left in 1968, being born in Feb 1952! My big brother was there three years before me when it was still the Boys Tech school......Philip Mitchell. He has lived in South Carolina for donkeys years but he is coming over to visit in early September. He will be at the Exeter Home Match on the 19th Sep all being well. Did you know him Cashy? My missus was in the same class as me at Rhyddings and earlier at Peel Park! We got wed in 1976. Got two daughters and two grandsons. Youngest daughter is a long standing Stanley supporter since she was 6 years old, Now she's 31 ! We still go on the Clayton End blowing our plastic horns!!

I started going up The Jazz Club when I was 16 and still at the 'Owd Tech'. Six pints and sloshed was the usual every night up there! I remember 'Sounds 18' as a regular group at Jazz nights and recall seeing a great trumpet player called Nat Ginella aged 77 who was amazing! He had the biggest 'cheeks' I have ever seen....cheeks on his face not BUMCHEEKS! I also used to go to the Folk Nights on wednesdays (or fridays?) and saw some great acts there too. Ralph Smith used to live on Ambleside Close near me on the council estate in Huncoat in those days and yes he ran the Folk and Heavy Rock nights at Bold Street too. I remember some of the girls that I fancied used to drink Cherry 'B' and Cider! I remember too that all the girls seemed to be 'beautiful' with their long hair and mini skirts! Blew me away though when HOT PANTS came out in about 68/69! I used to be a regular in the Peel Park pub then and we used to climb over the fences, (in our Burton's suits) surrounding the old Stanley ground to go back and forth from the pub to the club! Luckily we were in the pub on the night that the club was raided and subsequently closed! I remember the talk at the time was that there were about 120 people in the club when it was raided and that 108 were 'under age' and that several got done for possessing 'drugs'!
When I was 18 we started going to Bold Street for the Folk nights and the Heavy Rock nights there and a couple of us even got onto the 'Committee' as they wanted some younger representatives! This also meant some very late nights 'locked in' after clearing the tables! The Steward called Jack used to wash out the pumps on Sunday nights and put pint after pint onto to the bar until soapy water came through. Me and a few others used to sup 'em for free until we couldn't cope with the suds! I used to get home as late as 4 am and still get to work for 7.30 !!! Good job I was on a 'Drawing board' and not down on the shop floor operating machinery!
We saw som great acts down there;
Folk; Mike Harding (many times) Bob Williamson and The 'Y' Fronts regularly, Jasper Carrot, The Oldham Tinkers, the Taverners (with lead singer 'Tiny'). I particularly remember seeing, about three or four times, a superb group called 'Magna Carta' who made a stunning album titled "Seasons" which blew me away. There was also a group called Mr Fox with a well fit blonde girl singer who played an electric fiddle!
Heavy rock groups;
The best acts were 'Strife' from Liverpool and a band called "Gravy Train" and their best song was 'A ballad of a peaceful man'. One sunday night/'monday morning' I was walking home to Huncoat singing the 'Ballad of a peaceful man' out loud, meandering drunkenly up Burnley Road with my hands buried in my pockets and my head banging from side to side when I decided to cross the road! Well I finished up going head over heels' still with my hands in my pockets' and knocked myself out and dislocated my collar bone!..... I also remember well, 'Sassafras' and 'Wild Turkey' as superb groups. The Lakeland lounge was packed on Sunday nights and I recall having to go for pee's downstairs and as you walked by the snooker table looking up at the ceiling and it used to bounce up and down a good six inches. I was amazed that it never collapsed. I remember my favourite drink there was a Pint glass filled with two half bottles, one of 'Newcy Brown' topped up with a bottle of 'Double Century' brewed by Duttons in Burnley I think! Strong stuff!
Last week the Missus and I went to see The Pendle Folk group doing a fund raiser in Burnley. Roger Westbrook was their main front man who we saw many times in the old days! It was a good night of memories but sadly they were all well past it as far as the singing went! Roger has had their original LP recorded onto CD so we have ordered one for a fiver!
Come and find me on the Clayton End Cashy and we will have good chat! Just follow the noise to the Horn Blowers!
Happy days eh.....
Bob Mitchell, alias 'Choirboy'
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 16:47   #111
God Member

Oh happy days, Choirboy. We're more or less contemporaries in age, so must have been in the Jazz Club and Bold St together at some time. The act I remember from the Jazz Club was The Rodway Leyland Duo. Don't recall that they were good or bad, just that always seemed to be playing there.
Also remember seeing The Strawbs at Bold Street. Didn't they also have live music in The Derby? I've a foggy memory of seeing a young Mike Harding in there before he made it as a name.
But my earliest musical memory was getting changed in St.Augustine's hall before/after playing against Huncoat in the Boys' League and The Warriors were practicing in another room. Their old Commer(?) van with the cow horns was parked outside.
choirboy likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 16:57   #112
Super Moderator

The Rodway Leyland Duo...there's a name I'd forgotten all about, but like you, Exile, I can't remember a thing about them. I can remember the Riverside Jazzmen however..."I scream, you scream, everybody loves ice cream...", great music for getting ratted to!

My most memorable night up there was sometime in 1968/69, when Champion Jack Dupree hit the keyboards and turned a little part of Lancashire into a French Quarter bordello (well, almost!).
Stevie R likes this.
Old 24-08-2015, 20:46   #113
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Oh happy days, Choirboy. We're more or less contemporaries in age, so must have been in the Jazz Club and Bold St together at some time. The act I remember from the Jazz Club was The Rodway Leyland Duo. Don't recall that they were good or bad, just that always seemed to be playing there.
Also remember seeing The Strawbs at Bold Street. Didn't they also have live music in The Derby? I've a foggy memory of seeing a young Mike Harding in there before he made it as a name.
But my earliest musical memory was getting changed in St.Augustine's hall before/after playing against Huncoat in the Boys' League and The Warriors were practicing in another room. Their old Commer(?) van with the cow horns was parked outside.
Yes, as you say now I do remember the cow horns on the Warriors van!
I think that they, (The Warriors that is, not the cow horns!) appeared on Thank Your Lucky Stars with Brian Matthews around then.
I think Tom Lee used to run the Huncoat teams in the Boys League back then. He lived on Ambleside Close. I used to play for Ossy Rovers then.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 21:11   #115
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Yeh exile the Blues Room at the back of the Derby, was yon many a time, but always under the influence of summat or other lol, so very hard to recall who i saw yon. The jazz club was summat else though,not fer public discussion.
Wynonie Harris and choirboy like this.
Old 24-08-2015, 21:18   #116
Super Moderator

The Blue Room was a nice little concert room...can't remember any proper gigs when Ian was running the Derby, though...just the occasional jam session with Florrie, Ian Alveston, Ernie Lee and the usual suspects.
cashman likes this.
Old 24-08-2015, 21:38   #117
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Ian was the landlord, but would dispute he ran the Derby.
Old 30-01-2020, 08:22   #118

Was looking for info on the death of Ian Alveston and saw a reference to Accy Jazz Club on this forum.
Spent my formative years there. Wednesday folk Saturday Rock and Sunday Jazz. On Sunday couples danced hands together like they were arm wresting. All the top jazz bands appeared, Kenny Ball, Acker Bilk Chris Barber. Monty Sunshine, Ken Collier, and the local Riverside. I think the promoter was Ralf Smith. When the club closed he moved to Bold Street Working Men's Club. By then jazz was dead. Can't remember many Saturday bands (duttons 2bob a pint) but Up Town Go Go Band were great and a fab modern jazz duo from M/c called Roway Leyand. Folk as well as Paul Simon who I missed there were Martin Cathy, Hamish Imlack, the Taverners, spinners, Pendle Folk with Roger Westbrook, Mike Harding, Bernard Wrigley, Bob Whatmore, Tony Capstick, the great Jake Thackery
Count Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:58   #119
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
blame margaret for this lol she's got me reminising again. i remember going to the jazz club on friday nights ( in peel park) the old stanley ground had some brilliant nights in that little hut,it was situated behind the new stand(the white elephant)made me wonder who actually owned it? think accrington council owned the ground? did they also own the jazz club? was some great jazz/folk/blues acts appeared in that little place, anyone any info/memories? also who remembers what year it closed? it was going after the sad demise of stanley.
Only used to go on Sunday nights but it was a great place. Met my wife there on 21st May 1967 and we are celebrating our 53rd wedding anniversary tomorrow
cashman likes this.
Luckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..