Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 03:31   #1
God Member

Mary's Music

a quote from another thread said .............

"I remember buying the record at Mary's music on Whalley Rd."
....was that the place adjacent to the motor-cycle shop which sold Lambretta and Vespa parts ? opposite a Lion pub , (The Hope and Anchor ?) I also remember a great pub up one of the streets behind there somewhere, I think somewhere near Emerson and Renwicks , had one of the best jukeboxes in town ......this would be the late 60's, it was part of our Friday night crawl
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-06-2006, 07:25   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Mary's Music

The pub with the jukebox could it be the New Brewery Inn?, The motorbike shop no longer sells Vespa and Lambretta parts, it is all Japanese stuff now. The Hope and Anchor is still going strong!
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:01   #3
Super Moderator

New Brewery...Pickwick...Blockade...Bridge...Derby. I could do it in my sleep!
Old 12-06-2006, 01:07   #4
God Member

anyone know if there is a map in any of these threads showing the location of past and present pubs and clubs ?
thx John
Old 12-06-2006, 07:15   #5

Thats a great idea.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:25   #6
Resting in Peace

Its Not a Map but it might help

http://www.pubutopia.com/pubs/A/Accrington/index.html
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:31   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think you mean the new brewery they had a great jukebox, was the start of a good little tour lol (1)new brewery (2)royal oak (3) st johns (4) great eastern (5) boars head (6) broadway (7)hope and anchor (8) castle (9) back to brewery, and you had only been around a couple of blocks.
Old 12-06-2006, 18:32   #8
God Member

Thanks Mick and Cashman for the info
Yep , it was the New Brewery I was thinking of , looking at the pub link site it seems some of the towncenter pubs have been renamed.
There used to be (maybe still is)another good pub in the area behind the Canine club ,Plantation st area, if I remember it was on a street parallel to Abbey st. could have been a Massey house
Is the Antley still in business (corner of Newark st. and Blackburn rd.) near to the Accy/Church border ?
thank John
Old 12-06-2006, 18:41   #9
Super Moderator

Are you thinking of the Old House At home on Melbourne Street, opposite the old Manchester bus stop? That was a Masseys House. Alternatively it could be the Queens, but I don't think that was ever a Masseys House, was it?

The Antley is long gone - last time I went past it, it was a muslim girl's school. Another sad loss is the Block - what a cracking pub that was when Joyce and Eddie Berry had it!
Old 12-06-2006, 18:46   #10
Beacon of light

I used to go to my Gran's in Sheffield for the school hols.....we would go down to Melbourne St to catch the Manchester bus well too early....Gran would leave me at the bus stop with the bags and nip into the Old House at Home for a pint of mild. I was always told not to tell my mum about this little trick of hers....my reward...half a crown bribery money.
Gran used to say that the mild was good for her kidneys....well it must have been because she was always busting for a P when we got to the bus station at Manchester!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 18:53   #11
God Member

not the Old House at Home , looking at an old map I have it could have been on Lee st. ?
Old 12-06-2006, 18:59   #12
Super Moderator

Spent many a happy hour in the Old House At Home, Margaret.

Steeljack, are you thinking of the Kings Arms?
Old 12-06-2006, 19:07   #13
God Member

yep think thats the one ..........thanks
anyone remember the Greyhound on Whalley rd near top of Dill Hall , they used to have some local bands playing , trying to remember the band Jon Anderson played with before he moved on to greater things
Old 12-06-2006, 19:10   #14
Super Moderator

The Warriors...they've already been discussed on here but I can't remember where the thread is now.
Old 12-06-2006, 19:20   #15

What about corners as well? that used to be on our crawl after Hope and Anchor and Broadway, don`t really remember corners that much, hmm maybe my memory was impaired by the alcohol?

Mary`s music - used to love browsing through the singles there, and you used to be able to play the older ones to 'check' it was the one you wanted. I think all my mid 80`s records came from there, and what was the other one called was it Reidy`s? up near top of little blackburn Road?
those were the days is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..