Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2012, 21:49   #1

Memories....

Have been Google-mapping the Accrington area lately, old age and nostalgia bringing this on. My husband is from Accrington and remembers vividly the Con (won’t tell me exactly what he remembers though! – and do I really want to know?) and the differences of opinion which resulted in the odd scuffle, to put it politely (he and his mate probably involved in them if truth was but known). After 54 years of absence one thing is for sure – the old place ain’t what it used to be. So many changes. Was most upset to find the Accrington Stanley ground moved from its original place, good memories of watching the games at Peel Park, did a bit of training there himself.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-05-2012, 07:33   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Memories....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
After 54 years of absence one thing is for sure – the old place ain’t what it used to be. So many changes. Was most upset to find the Accrington Stanley ground moved from its original place, good memories of watching the games at Peel Park, did a bit of training there himself.
Agreed, Dotti, the place ain't what it used to be. However, Stanley may have moved, but they're one of the positives! While you were away for 54 years, they've slipped out of the league, died altogether, then been given a new lease of life and are now back in the league!
Old 23-05-2012, 09:44   #3

Him indoors has been keeping up with the results of the Stanley (via our local paper which publishes these every Monday) and although he has been heartened by the way they have bounced back, he still thought they played at Peel Park, so it was a shock to discover they didn’t. No matter how many miles and years have come between him and his old haunts he still has fond memories.
Also surprised to see (from Google Maps) that the coal deposit area on Hambledon Hill, where he used to walk over when a lad and pick up pieces of coal to take to his uncle’s farm at the top of Sandy Lane, now has the A56 running across it (or so it appears to be).
He remembers High Riley’s farm (now High Riley’s Cottages apparently) where Oliver Cromwell was reputed to have stayed, but that was before our time of course – irrespective of what some people might think.
Old 23-05-2012, 21:11   #4
Senior Member+

He would still be able to see the railway viaducts, the Town hall, Market Hall, library, arcade, but there's no Odeon or nobne of the cinemas he recalls, and half of the pubs have gone.No urinals at the end of some streets, no Dutton Street toilets.......
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 21:12   #5
Senior Member+

No Railway line to Manchester
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 05:48   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
No Railway line to Manchester
Is a platform ticket still tuppence?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 06:28   #7
Senior Member+

Dont know I dont use trains
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 11:15   #8
Senior Member+

I left in '61, but certainly frequented the Con in the mid 50s + also the Ritz, Knowlemere St and of course Joe Morts - paths must have crossed somewhere along the way.
Old 24-05-2012, 15:26   #9

I love the memories these posts evoke, I started work in 60 at Redmans as a trainee baker,someone said on one thread they can remember buying 1d Hovis. I got a silver medal at night school for making them which I still have.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 06:15   #10

Sorry, Barrie, your name doesn’t ring a bell with him indoors though it’s quite possible you did attend the same places at the same time – early to mid-50’s. Certainly went to the Ritz - was a good friend of Johnny Armstrong, the lead singer of the band there at the time (all belonged to the same group of mates). Both lads lived in the Spring Hill area. Joe Mort’s also holds good memories for him (not asking what!) – and the odd beer or three imbibed when underage (and continued after of course) – pub landlord never asked for proof of identity, turned a blind eye. I guess business was business.
Seems like yesterday, though it’s so long ago and so far away (we've lived in South Australia 54 years).
Old 27-05-2012, 12:16   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Is a platform ticket still tuppence?
No more ticket machines on stations, and no on to show it to even if you had a ticket. Now you buy a ticket on line, & hope to christ you get on the right train at the station.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 13:55   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
No more ticket machines on stations, and no on to show it to even if you had a ticket. Now you buy a ticket on line, & hope to christ you get on the right train at the station.

Retlaw
It doesn't stop in clayton
Old 27-05-2012, 16:21   #13
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It doesn't stop in clayton
Lonnie Donigan: said' buy a ticket at the station for the Rock Island Line.'
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..