Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2003, 23:30   #1
Accy Goddess

Post MOD/ROCKER OR 60s HIPPY- CHICK

What cloth's did you were when you were younger? I have been a mod wearing chunky granny shoes and cromby coat.
I got a suade skirt with my first weeks wage. I can remember ben shirman shirts 1st time round mine was a black n white check with short sleeves and i had a pair of Lee Cooper cord jeans to go with it.
Then back to rock 'n' roll. circular skirt, ankle sox, t-shirt, pony tail, stockings and a garter.
All those handsome Teddyboys in there drapes and beetle crushers not forgetting flouresant sox and bootlace ties.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2003, 00:51   #2
Caz
God Member

Post Re: MOD/ROCKER OR 60s HIPPY- CHICK

Can't remember there being many Teds around when me and you were growing up ANNE. Did you go to special Rock & Roll concerts or something?

Mini skirts were in by the mid sixties!

By the time I was at secondary school, it was all psychedelia & flower power.

Had my first pair of flares at 13.

Later Grandad shirts with jeans & braces, hot pants, thigh length boots, platform shoes, suede fringed jackets, cheesecloth shirts - the list is endless.

Most of the stuff's been back in fashion & gone back out again!!
;D  ;D  ;D

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:11   #3
Senior Member+

used to love wearing my little bell around my neck mum and dad used to think it was the cat coming in.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:52   #4
I am Banned

A mod definitley. there was no teddy boys unles as mentioned you went to a dedicatd Ted club. It was Mods and Rockers (or smellies as we called them) I mean whats better. Good clean haircut, A Ben Sherman, Nice pants and a pair of Royals.. Or long unwashed hair, two pairs of jeans that never get cleaned and dirty leather jacket even in summer.

Anyone seen Quadraphenia (spell check) the mods and rockers film.  I was in Brighton when they filmed it.. sort of. I arrived there on a Saturday with around 50 others from preston and we saw scooter clubs from all over the country. they told us they where asked to come down and be extras in a film to be shot on sunday. we where on a coach (for football) and had to leave brighton at midnight so just missed being in it as they wanted as many mods as possible..

I still like polo shirts and wear them all the time....remind me of fred perry tops.. If I could afford I would treat myself to a Ben Sherman shirt as there still in fashion.. but expensive tackle last I looked..

HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 13:16   #5
Accy Goddess

Went to the Preston branch of the rock 'n' roll appreciation sociaty ( excuse spelling ) till the 80s. Our mate who was our Sons Godfather even attended the ceramoney in his Drapes. Looked ever so smart.
Brillant film Quadraphinia Harry. Bet you also had a Parka with a fur hood.
Old 07-09-2003, 20:50   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quadraphenia, cool film!
I was a 70's child and an 80's teen. Remember having some tartan 3/4 length pants as a kid, they were a hand me down from an older cousin and sooooo cool, sang shang-a -lang all over the street in those ;D
In the 80's mini kilts (which they are now selling again in Dorothy P's) frilly shirts lots of black and white new romantic stuff, then the inevitable gothic period, all black studded bracelets and belts, pointed boots with buckles and breakneck heels. Think I even had a ra-ra skirt in the 80's.
Heck! I've reinvented myself more than Madonna. ;D

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:48   #7

I was a mod in the mid-60's. We had our suits made at Burtons or if you were really dedicated, at Ernie McKnoes on Blackburn Road. 4" deep pocket flaps, ticket pocket, 12" vent up the back, 6-button cuffs and parallel trousers, worn slightly short to show off our brogues. Rockers/teds (there were still a few 5O's diehards around town in the mid-60's) were our sworn enemies.

Quadrophenia was a good film, but the fights were a bit staged. You should have been on Peel Street bus station some Saturday nights in 67/68. It was like World War Three! As a natural coward I stayed well out of it!

Started growing my hair and turned a bit hippy when I went off to college in '69. But now i've gone full circle and wear my hair short, along with Ben Shermans and Harrington jackets. Incidentally, Harry, you can pick up Bens for around £20 at Slaters Menswear if you ever go into Manchester.
ASFC1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 21:42   #8
Senior Member+

You forgot the Clockwork Orange rage as well
Old 10-09-2003, 23:39   #9
Accy Goddess

Stupid, film first time round. Couldn't see the attraction second time round either.
Old 15-12-2003, 09:13   #10

What happened to page 2
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 12:03   #11
Junior Member+

Re: MOD/ROCKER OR 60s HIPPY- CHICK

I was a flower power hippy, wore bell bottom jeans and paisley print shirts, hey mannnnnnn, make love, not war.
AnotherJFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 14:11   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne
Bet you also had a Parka with a fur hood.
I did. A fishtail parka with fur round the hood and brogue shoes with steel tipped heels to make them click as you walked. Also it was compulsory at school to have the biggest possible knot in your tie.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 15:12   #13
mez
God Member

i was a deffinate rocker, tight skirts 4" heels, lots of net under skirts under our flared skirts & dresses, we wore suits too a very smart era then not like these days all designer & no smart style// my opinion, jeans were work clothes for the lads then,but i used to pinch my brothers new ones to go up green howarth to watch the bike scrambles, that was the uniform for that, & rock & roll dancing still lives on ////
Old 17-06-2004, 21:40   #14
Senior Member+

I remember going to Accy Collage on Blackburn rd in 1971 (the old grammer school) with a sheepskin sleeveless coat thing that my family hated,flared jeans and cowboy boots,long hair and mexican mustache, thought I was the dogs bo**ox. Alas when I showed my kids the photos they howled with laughter and couldnt belive a bald headed old git like me had hair.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 03:37   #15

Hi Anne. I suppose I may have been one of those 'handsome' teddy boys of which you speak. Lol (wishful thinking). I do know that in the late 50's I was the ony one in Accy with the full monty. My mum didn't want to know me.LOL Sky blue suit, tight drainpipes, jacket to my knees, black velvet collar,cuffs and pockets. lace tie, The mob that I was with generally had black drains, and a variety of jackets, some with velvet collars. There was only about five of us at that time 1956-1961. We all hung out at Joe Morts near the railway station.

Could anyone please tell me if Mary Mortimer is still with us. The last info I had was she had a 'Mary's music shop' on Whalley Rd. I would dearly love to contact her so her address as well if possible. Thank you if you can help.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..