Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 16:30   #1
Resting in Peace

Moris minor

Was washing some pots in the kitchen and looked out of the window and there chugging down the road was a morris minor estate care the one with the wood stares on the side, haven't seen one for ages. It was cream in colour, certainly took my mind back
Old 06-10-2008, 18:09   #2

Re: Moris minor

brother jeff had one a dream to drive
nortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 18:29   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

they were called morris traveller jaysay, those with the timber sides, same as minor, but like n estate (shooting brake) was the old term, had one meself late 70s fer a couple of years, great little bus, would run ferever, n climb up a house side virtually. daft as it sounds, most dependable car i ever had, noticed one chugging along oer longridge way a few weeks ago.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:43   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
they were called morris traveller jaysay, those with the timber sides, same as minor, but like n estate (shooting brake) was the old term, had one meself late 70s fer a couple of years, great little bus, would run ferever, n climb up a house side virtually. daft as it sounds, most dependable car i ever had, noticed one chugging along oer longridge way a few weeks ago.
Can't be to many around now cashy, can remember my mates aunt getting one new back in the sixtes, she couldn't drive and me a my mate used to take her out for lessons in between her lessons with a driving school, she passed first time
Old 07-10-2008, 15:01   #5

Spotted this one in Accrington earlier this year. Wish I had kept mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Morris Traveller.jpg (70.3 KB, 19 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 16:23   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Spotted this one in Accrington earlier this year. Wish I had kept mine.
The one that I saw was just like that wady maybe its the same one
Old 07-10-2008, 16:33   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

mine was white, but never had the visor oer the windscreen. good pic wadey.
Old 07-10-2008, 19:14   #8
Full Member+

You still see a lot of them around as they have very active and enthusiastic clubs
The Morris Minor Owners Club :: Promoting the Preservation and Use of the Postwar Morris Minor
Cheap to run, reasonable to buy, all parts still avalible, who`d have a corsa instead?
Old 07-10-2008, 19:25   #9

cashman, thanks
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 20:10   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Can't be to many around now cashy, can remember my mates aunt getting one new back in the sixtes, she couldn't drive and me a my mate used to take her out for lessons in between her lessons with a driving school, she passed first time
Remember it well jay I was the lad walking in front with the red flag.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 20:14   #11
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

I spent too many hours that i should have been in college perched on cars in scrap yards trying to dismantle the front trunnions etc to keep mates cars on the road. Nice reliable simple old things but i wouldn't like to be in a crash in one nowadays.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 20:18   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

I spent too many hours that i should have been in college perched on cars in scrap yards trying to dismantle the front trunnions etc to keep mates cars on the road. Nice reliable simple old things but i wouldn't like to be in a crash in one nowadays.
what would ya like to crash in then ian?
Old 07-10-2008, 20:24   #13
Resting in Peace

A Morris Minor was my first car (not the estate though). Was coach painted in a lovely pale blue; belonged to my mother in law, pressie from father-in law's garage, however, after passing her test decided driving was not for her.

Did actually park next to one at Asda last week, and had a quick flash of nostalgia, but then thought about those indicators, no air conditioning, electric windows, radio, power steering, etc., ... turned quickly on my heels back to my reasonably high-spec. Toyota. No thanks, been there done that .. move on Kate.

There was one featured in the last episode of the T.V drama 'Place of Execution, don't know if anyone else noticed it ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 20:42   #14
God Member

Sure that one of the teachers at Moorhead when i was there in the 80's had one. Cant remember her name but think she taught french. Always thought it looked weird but thanks to a bit more sense it was perfect for its era. are they a fire hazzard and theft targets for bommy night with that wood on em??

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:56   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Remember it well jay I was the lad walking in front with the red flag.
Must have got that wrong Beni, she'd have run you over

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..