Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 08:52   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Music Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Mary's Music was originally on Blackburn Road underneath Mort's. Moved to Whalley Road around 1963. Mog, the shop you might be thinking of may be Tony's, one block further away from town, opposite the bottom of Paxton Street.
I remember Mary's being there too Wyn, don't remember the other one though
Old 01-02-2012, 11:44   #17
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7554 View Post
the place that Marys Music moved to was originally a record shop called Marshalls Used Records,they than moved to the high street in rishton next to the old methodist school,the record shop under the arches next to the joke shop was called TRAX,Disc and Tape was at the corner off abbey street and Townsends was and still is in queen st Gt harwood,
Alan,you mention Townsends in Queen St Gt Harwood.I bought my first records there Swedish Rhapsody Mantovani and Cloud Lucky Seven Guy Mitchell back in 1953 after walking over the fields from Clayton le Moors
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Alan,you mention Townsends in Queen St Gt Harwood.I bought my first records there Swedish Rhapsody Mantovani and Cloud Lucky Seven Guy Mitchell back in 1953 after walking over the fields from Clayton le Moors
1953? Are you sure about the year? I thought the store opened sometime in either the 80s or 90s. I have lived in Harwood all my life (born 1954) and I don't remember it being there that far back. I used to buy my records at either Mary's or Reidy's in Blackburn.

Last edited by Michael1954; 01-02-2012 at 12:37.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:39   #19
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
1953? Are you sure about the year? I thought the store opened sometime in either the 80s or 90s. I have lived in Harwood all my life (born 1954) and I don't remember it being there that far back. I used to buy my records at either Mary's or Reidy's in Blackburn.
It might have not been called that. It was opposite the Mercer Hall
Old 01-02-2012, 13:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
It might have not been called that. It was opposite the Mercer Hall
Maybe I should have gone to Specsavers!
Old 01-02-2012, 13:16   #21
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Maybe I should have gone to Specsavers!
Is the shop still there. Was the roller skating rink still going when you were growing up and the Grand Pictures,Had some great times in Gt Harwood. Still come at times to the fish company back of the police station.
Old 01-02-2012, 15:17   #22

Yes the music shop is still there. The roller skating rink is now closed, and the Grand is no longer a cinema, but a social club now. I saw many a Hammer horror film in the cinema! I was tall for my age, so I got in to see them from about age 13. My parents had a newsagents across the road from the Grand. They had it from 1966 to the late 80s.

Last edited by Michael1954; 01-02-2012 at 15:20.
Old 01-02-2012, 18:28   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes the music shop is still there. The roller skating rink is now closed, and the Grand is no longer a cinema, but a social club now. I saw many a Hammer horror film in the cinema! I was tall for my age, so I got in to see them from about age 13. My parents had a newsagents across the road from the Grand. They had it from 1966 to the late 80s.
Did your parents ever have any shop fitting don't whilst they were in the shop Michael, seem to think I may have worked there, I know I worked on a few shops on the stretch not too sure which though
Old 01-02-2012, 19:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Did your parents ever have any shop fitting don't whilst they were in the shop Michael, seem to think I may have worked there, I know I worked on a few shops on the stretch not too sure which though
I don't remember, John, although I don't think so as my dad was pretty good at his own DIY. I was only 12 when we first moved in, so it's in the far distant past for me! There were two shops on either side: one a greengrocer and the other a dress shop. Next door to the greengrocer's was a furniture store owned by Owen Sharples. All four shops have been private houses for quite a number of years now. Further up Blackburn Road, just opposite the police station, was a general store run by Jack Shackleton and also a sweet shop run by Mr and Mrs Bridges. These have also been closed for a long time. It's a sign of the times, I guess, of the closure of small family-run businesses.
Old 03-02-2012, 19:14   #25

Remember Tonys queued one dinner break to get autograph of the bachelors for mi mam was late back to work getten a reet rollikin
JIMSLAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 19:50   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMSLAD View Post
Remember Tonys queued one dinner break to get autograph of the bachelors for mi mam was late back to work getten a reet rollikin
Had a Guiness wi them in the Liffey Bar, just off O'Connell St back in the 60s.
Old 04-02-2012, 19:47   #27

had one or two in plough on sunday neets listenin to pale moon arisin
JIMSLAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:00   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I don't remember, John, although I don't think so as my dad was pretty good at his own DIY. I was only 12 when we first moved in, so it's in the far distant past for me! There were two shops on either side: one a greengrocer and the other a dress shop. Next door to the greengrocer's was a furniture store owned by Owen Sharples. All four shops have been private houses for quite a number of years now. Further up Blackburn Road, just opposite the police station, was a general store run by Jack Shackleton and also a sweet shop run by Mr and Mrs Bridges. These have also been closed for a long time. It's a sign of the times, I guess, of the closure of small family-run businesses.
I certainly worked in a shop on the street in the early 70s Michael, used to go in the cafe too, did a great bacon butty
Old 05-02-2012, 22:30   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMSLAD View Post
had one or two in plough on sunday neets listenin to pale moon arisin
Would that be when Shukky had it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..