Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2012, 09:39   #1
Mog

Music Shop

Just been thinking about the old Accy that I knew in the early sixties. There was a Record shop opened on Blackburn road about 1963/1964. I think it was Mary,s but maybe wrong. There was an area down stairs where you listened to records. I used to know a young lass who worked there. Linda Wilkinson. The manager was a young guy. Bit of a lad with some kind of fast car. Cant remember his name but he was ok. Used to have parties late at night in the area downstairs and then this guy and myself with a couple of gals used to go to Manchester somewhere. I think this guy got killed in a car crash. Dont know if this shop is still there or what because I left in 1968. Dont know what happened to Linda, she was a nice girl went out with her for a while. Also remember some time in 62, waiting for the last bus with a young lady, think she was called (Barbara Slack). we were on Blackburn road one evening when there was a few explosions and the manhole covers on the pavements blew off. This was between the Railway pub and the town center. Never found out what caused it though.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2012, 09:45   #2
God Member

Re: Music Shop

Marys Music was on blackburn rd, shopped there many a time loved it Last time i went was the very early 90's

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 09:51   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Always remember Marys Music on " Whalley Road" corner of Dowry St were i lived at that time Mog?
Old 23-01-2012, 09:53   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Marys Music was on blackburn rd, shopped there many a time loved it Last time i went was the very early 90's
I can only remember it on Whalley Rd.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 10:23   #5
Super Moderator

Mary's Music was originally on Blackburn Road underneath Mort's. Moved to Whalley Road around 1963. Mog, the shop you might be thinking of may be Tony's, one block further away from town, opposite the bottom of Paxton Street.
Old 23-01-2012, 10:26   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I can only remember it on Whalley Rd.
Yeh whalley road i mean ............doh i just used to go by radar lol

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 23-01-2012, 10:29   #7
God Member

Heres the famous sign
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marys music sign.jpg (59.0 KB, 12 views)

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 23-01-2012, 10:35   #8
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Mary's Music was originally on Blackburn Road underneath Mort's. Moved to Whalley Road around 1963. Mog, the shop you might be thinking of may be Tony's, one block further away from town, opposite the bottom of Paxton Street.
Yes come to think of it. Tony,s was the name of the shop. Thats the trouble when you get old timer,s you keep forgeting things. Wonder if the guy I was refering to was called Tony.!!!
Old 23-01-2012, 10:40   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Yes come to think of it. Tony,s was the name of the shop. Thats the trouble when you get old timer,s you keep forgeting things. Wonder if the guy I was refering to was called Tony.!!!
Don't know, when I used to go in in the mid 60's, there was a woman running it. As I only lived up Willows Lane, she used to let me take records home to listen to "on approval" before I paid for 'em.
Old 23-01-2012, 11:44   #10

Went to Blackburn Tech with a girl called Linda Wilkinson, she was from Accy, did a bakery course together, 1965 -66, a pretty blond girl, very outgoing, Got a photo somewhere.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 11:55   #11
Mog

Linda would be about 63/64 now if its her. Yes she was pretty girl. I think her parents had a shop down one of the streets of Blackburn road down by the Grammer School. (I think). Would be nice to see pics. Last saw her 1964.
Old 23-01-2012, 13:53   #12
God Member

on the corner of blackburn road and abbey street was disc&tape but iv always known mary's music to be on walley road although it was once where the tattoo place is and then moved up a few doors on the same block to smaller premisis.

didnt there used to be a record shop next to the joke shop under the railway arches on blackburn road ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 14:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Went to Blackburn Tech with a girl called Linda Wilkinson, she was from Accy, did a bakery course together, 1965 -66, a pretty blond girl, very outgoing, Got a photo somewhere.
Alan did she mate with a girl called Yvonne Howarth and a Lynn somebody?
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 22:18   #14

That name rings a bell Susan, Yvonne Howarth,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:26   #15
I am Banned

the place that Marys Music moved to was originally a record shop called Marshalls Used Records,they than moved to the high street in rishton next to the old methodist school,the record shop under the arches next to the joke shop was called TRAX,Disc and Tape was at the corner off abbey street and Townsends was and still is in queen st Gt harwood,
alan7554 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..