Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By susie123

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2013, 21:05   #1
Resting In Peace

My 21st birthday party

I'm posting some photos of my 21st birthday party as I wanted to ask whether any 21 yr old today would be happy with a party as sedate as this one looks now!

This was in November 1967, at the Astronaut on Union Street. It was organised by my mum who was a great party animal, but her idea of fun was party games - you can see in two of the photos people are playing musical hats - a bit like musical chairs, but passing hats from person to person.

Most of the folks at the party were my 12 (male) classmates from college plus their girlfriends, and my aged rellys and some of my dad's work colleagues. No disco or band, just a dansette record player which you will see on the table in one of the pics.

Anyway... here are the pics. Me and my mum - she's the only one really dressed up for a party, most of the others are wearing cardies or woolly frocks! The two barmen. Two pictures of the game of musical hats. Girls in the latest fashion. And some very sedate dancing - note the record player on the table.

How times have changed! - enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 1.jpg (229.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Image3.jpg (30.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Image11.jpg (45.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Image8.jpg (46.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Image12.jpg (42.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Image5.jpg (52.3 KB, 73 views)
cashman, jaysay, Eric and 3 others like this.
Old 26-02-2013, 22:14   #2
Full Member+

Re: My 21st birthday party

Groovy...!!!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 22:33   #3

I would have been happy with that I was away for mine and I felt a tinge of envy of my friends whose families threw parties for them
Old 26-02-2013, 22:50   #4

My 21st birthday was in 1970 and was held in the Sunday School building at John Street Christian Institute, Oswaldtwistle. The constitution of the Church didn't allow any alcohol or dancing. So we just had party games with a buffet. By the time I was 40 in 1989 I'd progressed to having a party at Ossy Con for 100 people. A good time was had by all. There was certainly alcohol, a DJ and dancing - in fact the DJ made me dance on my own to "The Oldest Swinger in Town"! My best party was when I was 60 nearly four years ago. I had a party at the Pop Club for about 170 people, with plenty of 60s music and a pie and peas supper from Hurn's. At my 40th & my 60th I didn't have presents but received donations to nominated charities. Now what will be my next party? 65 next year or wait till 70??
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 06:35   #5
Beacon of light

I never had a party in my life. Not for my 21st, not for any of the landmark birthdays.
I don't feel deprived though. Sue, yours looks like it was a well atended 'do'........and I love the burnt orange dress.........I had an ensemble with a blouse that colour.....it was teamed with a bitter chocolate skirt that had sort of braces....and I felt the bee's knees in it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 08:25   #6
Resting in Peace

I didn't have a 21st as such, I was on holiday in South Wales, but remember getting blotto on Watney's Red Barrel, my fiftieth I had had two at home one on Friday for family one on Saturday for friends, which was very low key for me as I was still under the weather from the family do the previous night, for my sixtieth I went on a tour of Ewood Park with Ronnie Clayton then home for few bevies and a few drinks at night in the club. Think the best one was my 65th, had a party at home, hell the place was bursting at the seems
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 10:48   #7
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I never had a party in my life. Not for my 21st, not for any of the landmark birthdays.
I don't feel deprived though. Sue, yours looks like it was a well atended 'do'........and I love the burnt orange dress.........I had an ensemble with a blouse that colour.....it was teamed with a bitter chocolate skirt that had sort of braces....and I felt the bee's knees in it.
Always liked that colour - the dress was from Richard Shops - very posh in those days - but it had angora in it and made me itch like mad!
Old 27-02-2013, 19:24   #8

Looks like you had a real do, I was married and over 7months pregnant for my 21st in 1966.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:38   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Only ever had 1 do in me life n i was nagged into that, me 40th. me 21 st i got slaughtered in the Old House At Home Missed this was away when yeh posted it, but was nowt wrong wi Astronaut, n looks to me like yeh enjoyed a good night.
Old 12-04-2013, 17:15   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Only ever had 1 do in me life n i was nagged into that, me 40th. me 21 st i got slaughtered in the Old House At Home Missed this was away when yeh posted it, but was nowt wrong wi Astronaut, n looks to me like yeh enjoyed a good night.
Oh I've had a few cashy, 21st don't remember much about it, 50th don't remember much about it, 60th, well that was an all day do, started at Ewood finished in Ossy Con, don't remember much about Ossy Con. and the last one you were there
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..