Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 09:03   #166

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Lovely photos. Am highly amused that you had a crush on my Dad Sue He did used to look very angelic in his choir boy outfit!

Claire
clairemims is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2012, 09:17   #167
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairemims View Post
Lovely photos. Am highly amused that you had a crush on my Dad Sue He did used to look very angelic in his choir boy outfit!

Claire
So you must be Keith Mimnagh's daughter? I remember him well from school and was sorry to hear he is no longer with us. Must be something about choir boys - I have a photo of my current partner of 35 years in the get up as a boy!

My memories of all those school years are strong, hope they are correct too! Those photos really started me off.

Lovely to hear from you Claire, are you still in the Accy area?

Last edited by susie123; 02-02-2012 at 09:20.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:12   #168

I am He is very sadly missed by my Mum and I. I moved to London a year or so after he died and my Mum sold our house on Balmoral Road and moved to a smaller place in Burnley. I'm still fiercely proud of my Accrington roots and coming home later tonight to visit Mum (and my boyfriend who lives in Manchester - he's originally from the South, I'm teaching him how to be Northern).

I've lost hours this morning reading your thread and looking through the photos. Thank you for posting them. He looks a lot like me in the oldest photo! Would love to hear any school tales I believe my Mum finally won him over by stalking him on the walk home from school and asking if he'd like to come over and listen to her Cliff Richard tape...They were both so cool x
clairemims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:08   #169
Resting In Peace

Hello again Claire ... so glad you enjoyed my thread, it was fun to write, but beware Accyweb can be addictive!

Good luck with training the boyfriend - my partner is also a southerner, I lived with him in Hants and Wilts till 2000, then we moved to the midlands and now here we are in Morecambe because of his job. Never thought I would end up back in Lancs and I think Richard is still getting over the culture shock!
Old 02-02-2012, 19:08   #170
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairemims View Post
I am He is very sadly missed by my Mum and I. I moved to London a year or so after he died and my Mum sold our house on Balmoral Road and moved to a smaller place in Burnley. I'm still fiercely proud of my Accrington roots and coming home later tonight to visit Mum (and my boyfriend who lives in Manchester - he's originally from the South, I'm teaching him how to be Northern).

I've lost hours this morning reading your thread and looking through the photos. Thank you for posting them. He looks a lot like me in the oldest photo! Would love to hear any school tales I believe my Mum finally won him over by stalking him on the walk home from school and asking if he'd like to come over and listen to her Cliff Richard tape...They were both so cool x
Can't help but still picture your dad as a little boy, didn't see any of the Central Prep lot after our last year apart from the few girls who went to the high school with me. Perhaps you have a grown up photo?
Old 03-02-2012, 19:58   #171

If this was Booth's Bakers shop corner of Marlbourgh Rd and Owen street I thought her name was margeret and had an other brother called Ken if it was margeret she was in the same class as me in St Johns.
xaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 20:03   #172
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaccy View Post
If this was Booth's Bakers shop corner of Marlbourgh Rd and Owen street I thought her name was margeret and had an other brother called Ken if it was margeret she was in the same class as me in St Johns.
Margaret was in the same year as me at the High school.
At the last reunion she told me that her brother Ken had died.
I had a few 'dates' with him in my teen years.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 21:32   #173
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaccy View Post
The daughter "Pauline" was in same class as me at St.Johns n her younger Brother "David" was in our kids class.
Old 19-02-2012, 19:37   #174
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Add my welcome to Susie, it was so interesting although I only remember the coffee in the Blue Dahlia!!.

Talking about dancing schools, does anyone remember Renee Cosgrove's dancing classes, first at Accy Con (downstairs if I remember correctly) and then in her house up Fern Gore.
There was just one boy dancer and I can't for the life in me remember his name. It must have been in about the late 50's
I am a new member to the Accy website and I was surprised to see someone asking about Rene Cosgrove.She was my Mother and we did live at Fairclough Road. My name is Shirley and I now live my Husband of 52 years in Ontario Canada, Rene Cosgrove was her stage name,her married name was Irene Williams. We had dancing classes at many locations around Accrington,The Con and Libral clubs. She passed away in1986
Toe Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 20:35   #175

where was mr schaffer's cake shop? somewhere around aitkin/owen/haywood road area?
my spelling may be wrong... anybody remember him from the 70's ?
stetrovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 20:53   #176
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetrovers View Post
where was mr schaffer's cake shop? somewhere around aitkin/owen/haywood road area?
See posts 1 and 71 on this thread.
Old 20-02-2012, 01:50   #177
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Add my welcome to Susie, it was so interesting although I only remember the coffee in the Blue Dahlia!!.

Talking about dancing schools, does anyone remember Renee Cosgrove's dancing classes, first at Accy Con (downstairs if I remember correctly) and then in her house up Fern Gore.
There was just one boy dancer and I can't for the life in me remember his name. It must have been in about the late 50's
I think the boy you refer to was called Norman Burdakin who along with his cousin Joyce used to be studends of my Mothers dancing class Rene Cosgroves School of Dancing They both lived in Clayton-le-moors.
Toe Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 15:47   #178
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetrovers View Post
Yep, he was my Grandad! (Chaffer)

Made great pies, bread and cakes...

Actually started life as a butcher in Blackpool.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 19:33   #179
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Yep, he was my Grandad! (Chaffer)

Made great pies, bread and cakes...

Actually started life as a butcher in Blackpool.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

If he'd been called Shaver, he could have been a barber.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 20:09   #180

cheers 4 that, my mum went to that shop all the way from westwood street, on the other side of whalley road, mr chaffer was always pleasent and baked a marvellous cake yum yum happy memories
stetrovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..