Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2012, 04:47   #181
Junior Member+

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Miss Caulfield ran a private school in Accrington and my Mum Rene Cosgrove taugh dancing for her studends for a while at the Liberal Club. My mums dancing school gave concerts all over Lancashire. I was one of the dancers. Hope this helps you a bit.
Toe Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2012, 15:45   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe Dancer View Post
Miss Caulfield ran a private school in Accrington and my Mum Rene Cosgrove taugh dancing for her studends for a while at the Liberal Club. My mums dancing school gave concerts all over Lancashire. I was one of the dancers. Hope this helps you a bit.
Don't know who you are 'Toe Dancer, but I remember your mum . I started at her dancing classes in Accrington in about 1956 (I think, perhaps at Accy Con) then we moved somewhere up Fern Gore in a building in some kind of a crescent I think, and I can even remember having lessons in your house.
Oh, what lovely memories. If I'm not mistaken didn't Rene have a son and a daughter. It's thanks to your mum, that even at my age I can still do a lovely swirl!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 15:51   #183

Only just realised after looking back on this thread that I had already asked about Rene, (losing my marbles!). Now I remember you Shirley, but I very much doubt you'll remember me. I can remember my first lesson because my mum had bought me a beautiful pair of tap shoes embroidered in silver, but I had wanted what everyone else had, red tap shoes,. I refused to get on the floor until your mum told me that I was really lucky to have such wonderful shoes and that they would surely have made me learn to dance very quickly.
I'm sorry she's no longer with us, but I for one have some lovely memories
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 20:28   #184
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe Dancer View Post
I am a new member to the Accy website and I was surprised to see someone asking about Rene Cosgrove.She was my Mother and we did live at Fairclough Road. My name is Shirley and I now live my Husband of 52 years in Ontario Canada, Rene Cosgrove was her stage name,her married name was Irene Williams. We had dancing classes at many locations around Accrington,The Con and Libral clubs. She passed away in1986
I remember you Shirley, I went to your Mum's dancing class between 1952 and 1955. We had wonderful costumes made for the concerts and I still have one of them. I particularly remember being on stage at The Hipperdrome in Oxford Street. I was very shy and tended to be the last on stage and the first off! Nevertheless, I enjoyed every minute, we danced to "Singin' in the Rain", "Wonderful Copenhagen", "Deadwood Stage" and many others.
born n bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 20:42   #185
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by born n bred View Post
I remember you Shirley, I went to your Mum's dancing class between 1952 and 1955. We had wonderful costumes made for the concerts and I still have one of them. I particularly remember being on stage at The Hipperdrome in Oxford Street. I was very shy and tended to be the last on stage and the first off! Nevertheless, I enjoyed every minute, we danced to "Singin' in the Rain", "Wonderful Copenhagen", "Deadwood Stage" and many others.
I was pupil too and was in the 'Wonderful Copenhagen' line up, but it was on the town hall stage, not the Hippodrome.

I remember Shirley - fair long hair worn in two 'behind the ear' bunches

PS - still remember the steps of that dance routine, and I have done them whenever I heard the tune.

Last edited by MargaretR; 25-02-2012 at 20:46.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 20:52   #186

hi i thought the daughter from booths was called margeret as i rember a brother Ken or booy as I knew him margeret was in my class at St Johns.
xaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 22:48   #187
Junior Member+

Hi

I have just found your phots of central prep I am Mariae Allen it has brought back so many memories for me I also remember Mrs backhouse she slapped me so hard with a ruler and made me kneel us beside her desk my knees re still sore I also remember miss backhouse she lived on owen street I lived on haywood road I also remeber eric steedman I had a big crush on him I now live in Lanzarote we retired here last May and are enjoying our retirement here if you know or hear from any of the central prep pupils i would love to get in touch with them
Dobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 23:17   #188
Junior Member+

Yes I remember him his shop was just down the road from where I lived his shop was on haywood road we got our bread and cakes from him and I also had to collect the confectioners cream that he made and take it back to St Christophers school for our domestic science class
Old 21-05-2012, 23:27   #189
Junior Member+

Hi Sue
I lived on haywood road and went to miss caulfields school also walked there and back with my sister margaret and hazel irving she lived on owen street do you remember those heavy coats we had to wear in the winter and the panama hats in the summer and you couldn't take your blazer off no matter how hot it was - I knew all those shops we lived next door to leightons shop and i helped out in her shop weighing potatoes i used to play with her daughters margaret rita and lenora I don't know if you knew me i was Maria Allen
Old 22-05-2012, 01:01   #190

Did you ever go into the "Olympus" on Union Road, we used to go in after night school to do our homework.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 01:17   #191

Does anyone remember "Mary's Music Shop? I used to love going in there to listen to LP's before buying.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 09:10   #192
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
Hi

I have just found your phots of central prep I am Mariae Allen it has brought back so many memories for me I also remember Mrs backhouse she slapped me so hard with a ruler and made me kneel us beside her desk my knees re still sore I also remember miss backhouse she lived on owen street I lived on haywood road I also remeber eric steedman I had a big crush on him I now live in Lanzarote we retired here last May and are enjoying our retirement here if you know or hear from any of the central prep pupils i would love to get in touch with them
Quote:
Hi Sue
I lived on haywood road and went to miss caulfields school also walked there and back with my sister margaret and hazel irving she lived on owen street do you remember those heavy coats we had to wear in the winter and the panama hats in the summer and you couldn't take your blazer off no matter how hot it was - I knew all those shops we lived next door to leightons shop and i helped out in her shop weighing potatoes i used to play with her daughters margaret rita and lenora I don't know if you knew me i was Maria Allen
Maria, I remember you and your sister and Hazel Irving very well. I was one of the ones who used to walk with you every day! From one side of town to the other - we certainly got our exercise!

Glad you enjoyed my posts - it's amazing how the memories start to flow once you start writing or reading them.

I'm not in touch with anyone from CPS so can't help you there but keep looking on Accyweb and you never know what/who you might find!
Old 24-05-2012, 08:57   #193
Junior Member+

Hi Susie
so what is your name
Old 24-05-2012, 09:02   #194
Junior Member+

Hi Bob
I knew Mr Chaffer very well his shop was just down the road from where I lived he had a daughter but I can't recall her name (Sorry)
Old 24-05-2012, 09:36   #195
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Hi Susie
so what is your name
I am Susan Creasey. Lived at 13 Owen street when I went to school with you. Miss Caulfied lived at number 9, or maybe 7.

Quote:
Hi Bob
I knew Mr Chaffer very well his shop was just down the road from where I lived he had a daughter but I can't recall her name (Sorry)
Mr Chaffer's grand daughter is a frequent poster on Accyweb under the username Mobertol. See post 71 on this thread. Her mother is also an Accyweb member under the name Aromaanne. She married Mr Chaffer's son - her name is Anne and she now lives in Tenerife.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...-me-31235.html

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..