Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 20:20   #226

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Hi, I remember Willie not to be messed with, loved a fight, and now spends his time fishing I think he worked at the Nori
abiteachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2013, 20:31   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Was a percys on Plantation street also kate. the whalley rd one became Bills in early 60s
Percys was on plantation st, sat in every saturday 1965 ish
abiteachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 15:07   #228

Whalley Road is a shadow of its former self, so scruffy, used to feel quite different.

Too true. My Grandparents used to live opposite The Clock Garage upto the mid-70's (from the '40s, possibly earlier)

Last time I was in Accy the site was occupied by Kwik-Fit and it looked awful!
Old 05-02-2013, 13:35   #229

I have been very interested in your memories of Accrington, Susie. I was born in Dowry Street in 1946, so we are contemporaries. When tracing some of my family history I came across, in the 1911 census, what I think must be your great grandfather, Isaac Creasey, and his family. They were living in Devonshire Street at the time, what was intriguing was they had living with them a lodger who was described as a "horse handler". Is this the great grandfather you mentioned?
Chris Siv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 13:47   #230
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Siv View Post
I have been very interested in your memories of Accrington, Susie. I was born in Dowry Street in 1946, so we are contemporaries. When tracing some of my family history I came across, in the 1911 census, what I think must be your great grandfather, Isaac Creasey, and his family. They were living in Devonshire Street at the time, what was intriguing was they had living with them a lodger who was described as a "horse handler". Is this the great grandfather you mentioned?
That's very interesting Chris, yes I believe at one time they lived at 10 Devonshire Street. I haven't looked at the censuses etc myself but your mention of a horse handler could be someone who was looking after the trotting horses that Isaac was interested in. Can't remember how much I have posted in this thread but he died in New Zealand in 1930 having taken some horses out there to sell, unsuccessfully. Do you have any more details about who was living in the house at the time? If you do, perhaps you could PM me. Many thanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 14:10   #231

Thanks for the prompt response. Yes, I can, it was fairly clearly written, 10 Devonshire Street is the address;
Isaac Creasey Aged 40 Wholesale fish merchant;
Ellen Ann Wife Aged 42
Florrie Aged Aged 22 ? maker(could be lace)
Fred aged 17 app. fitter
Rhoda aged 12 school
Beatrice aged 16 cotton weaver
Doris aged 11 school
Jas? Edward Crook aged 60 lodger horse handler.

My grandmother was Julia Curran, she lived at 55 Dowry Street, I think in the 1880's Isaac Creasey lived at number 60.
I could email all the information I have if you would prefer it.
Chris Siv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 15:19   #232
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
That's very interesting Chris, yes I believe at one time they lived at 10 Devonshire Street. I haven't looked at the censuses etc myself but your mention of a horse handler could be someone who was looking after the trotting horses that Isaac was interested in. Can't remember how much I have posted in this thread but he died in New Zealand in 1930 having taken some horses out there to sell, unsuccessfully. Do you have any more details about who was living in the house at the time? If you do, perhaps you could PM me. Many thanks.
In the earlier census the lived at 16 Dowry St, Acc he was born in Dodsworth Yorkshire. in the 1901 census they are at 25 Whalley Rd..

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-02-2013 at 15:24.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 15:35   #233
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
In the earlier census the lived at 16 Dowry St, Acc he was born in Dodsworth Yorkshire. in the 1901 census they are at 25 Whalley Rd..
Thanks for the addresses, I had the Dodworth info but not those.
Old 04-03-2013, 13:03   #234
Junior Member+

I've just logged in after a rather long absence and picked up this thread. Central Preparatory School saw me enter its door sometime in 1956. My name: Karol Gajewski, obviously Polish, less obviously male.
I remember CPS very well and still keep in touch with various classmates of that time, chief among them being: Peter Whittaker and Andrew Nuttall. My wife and I established contact too with Judith Catlow (nee Banks) who was also at CPS. My crushes were quite numerous - I remember Anita Beard, Christine Court and Linda Thomas in particular.

Mrs Backhouse (I always referred to her as 'Miss' Backhouse) was my favourite teacher and Miss Hackwood the one I feared and loathed most. I'm sure - if she is still here - that she is a dear old lady who would, in war-time, knit woolly socks for the troops.

My family (mum died young aged 37 when I was still at CPS) lived at no 14 Cedar St and my father, Joseph, worked as a porter at Accrington railway station before qualifying as a train guard. He passed away in 1978.

It would be nice to hear more from anyone who recognises my name and experienced CPS.
Karolgadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 17:20   #235
Resting In Peace

Karol, I remember your name from when you posted previously. I think you've probably seen my posts about CPS from earlier in this thread. The only other person who's posted on the subject is John Duckworth (post 216). He started in 1955 so he was almost your contemporary, and he was in the same class as my brother and sister John and Jenny Creasey. I can let you have his email address as I don't think he's been on the site since he last posted. I left in 1957.
Old 21-05-2013, 17:27   #236

Gosh! what memories you bring back to me, especcially the Arts. Saturday, Sunday without fail for 2-3 years. Cliff , how i loved that place.
So sad kids nowadays have no place like that.
My dream is to win lottery and open up the old fashioned coffee bars, remember the boothes with the little juke boxes on walls.
Can we ever recreate that? Who knows!
hassy rvr likes this.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 19:54   #237
Senior Member+

Chris Siv - your grandmother had a daughter Dorothy Curran, I recall. She will now be 80yrs (I hope). 55 was left hand side going up below Arnold St with a lamp outside. I think they were related either to Burrells across the street or Pendergasts on Arnold St. 16 Dowry St might have been close to Whalley Rd, and No 25 very close by

Karolgadge....Andrew Nuttall was likely the lad, a good musician, who was landlord of the Stop & Rest, Ossie for years. Peter Whittaker may have become a policeman, though that is a common name.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 21:43   #238
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

16 Dowry st would be just above the first street up from Whalley Rd right hand side. The Burrells, Frank @ Kathleen about 7/8 doors up from me.i was at 58.
Old 21-05-2013, 22:16   #239

Crikey Cashy thats a blast from the past,used to walk home from Holy Family school early 60s with Kathleen,havn't seen her for 50 years
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 22:22   #240
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Crikey Cashy thats a blast from the past,used to walk home from Holy Family school early 60s with Kathleen,havn't seen her for 50 years
I aint seen her fer as long either Dave, saw frank a couple of years back on Hyndburn Rd.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..