Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-08-2013, 19:07   #256
Senior Member+

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Pam I will PM you re St John's reunioins.,,....In yoyur long posting, you missed out Booth's bakery shop near the Iron Bridge, and Sagar's bakery on Owen St bottom of Aitken St. I met Margaret Booth, now Wilson(?) at a recent reunion. The time before that, I was snogging her near the Co-op Laundry - or was it Loofe's factory down Owen St back?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-08-2013, 09:25   #257
Beacon of light

Margaret wilson....Bob, is she a retired Nurse/Midwife, who used to work on the district?

Only asking because I knew a Margaret Wilson, and wondered if it was the same one.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 16:19   #258
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Pam I will PM you re St John's reunioins.,,....In yoyur long posting, you missed out Booth's bakery shop near the Iron Bridge, and Sagar's bakery on Owen St bottom of Aitken St. I met Margaret Booth, now Wilson(?) at a recent reunion. The time before that, I was snogging her near the Co-op Laundry - or was it Loofe's factory down Owen St back?
Did you keep a list of all the girls you either had relationships with or perved at - I can only remember the names of about four (two that I still know), but I do remember that I was busier than that
Old 27-08-2014, 19:55   #259
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Willies still knocking about Mog, (living down Clayton last time i spoke)
Just been told Willie passed away peacefully in his sleep yesterday. He was knocked down outside Clayton Con (Hit & Run) and quite badly injured.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 16:52   #260
Junior Member+

Hi enjoyed your recent post and certainly brought back many happy memories. I was brought up in the area (Devonshire st) and frequented Knowlmere Street, Accy Con, Spring Hill and also Youth Club. I was at St. Mary Magdalens junior school then off to Accy High for a three year stint, hated it so moved school! Happy days.
Rivendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 16:33   #261
Junior Member+

the girls name was anne
WINIFRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 14:39   #262

I grew up in Accrington in the late 1950s and 1960s quite close to where Stanley play their home games now. I can still remember quite a lot of things about that time - so it seems to me. I'll pick out a few: the old NORI brickworks, primary school near Sandy Lane, hearing on the radio or tv The Beatles for the first time (I still love The Beatles even now). The hospital also is nearby where I was in for a few days.
Enfield cricket club... drinking warm orange juice with a straw out of a bottle in summer days at said Enfield cricket club on Dill Hall Lane. Aye.
Eric and Bob Dobson like this.
Giacomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 14:54   #263

Thanks to Eric and Bob. Bless your cotton socks.
Old 16-06-2015, 10:47   #264

Accrington and district - a good place to grow up I think.
Sometimes I miss there being places like Nick o' Pendle nearby. Some hills.
(Or Nicky Pendle as I used to call it - come on I was only about seven years old).
Old 16-06-2015, 21:03   #265
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
I grew up in Accrington in the late 1950s and 1960s quite close to where Stanley play their home games now. I can still remember quite a lot of things about that time - so it seems to me. I'll pick out a few: the old NORI brickworks, primary school near Sandy Lane, hearing on the radio or tv The Beatles for the first time (I still love The Beatles even now). The hospital also is nearby where I was in for a few days.
Enfield cricket club... drinking warm orange juice with a straw out of a bottle in summer days at said Enfield cricket club on Dill Hall Lane. Aye.
Hameldon Mill has gone - houses on the way. Marlborough club is no more. The NORI railway line and engines. No Load of Mischief. No Arcadian ballroom. o flower shop at Queens Rd/Whalley Rd
. No Clock Garage.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 17:11   #266
Junior Member+

I am looking for stories and images of The Warriors band for a book project I am doing, can anyone help? I know of the web sites however its untold stories and unseen items I want. Thanks for any help you give me. Please email me with [email protected]
daveyesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 17:39   #267
Senior Member+

Are you by any chance the chappie who had an exhibition up Haworth Art gallery, Accr4ington, a few years back, with a collection of YES memorabilia?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 00:25   #268
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepom View Post
I think the Dentist was called Horsfield.
Cheers Littlepom
Indeed. The dentist WAS Stanley Horsfield. His son Nigel is a retired chest physician in the Blackburn area
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 16:43   #269
Full Member+

Just read through all this thread and found it very interesting. I remember calling in a shop on right hand side of Dowry Street, think it was on a corner, on my way down from the High School to the station for the train home. Iced finger buns were a favourite and I think it was the first place I ever bought a cream egg. Who's shop would it be?
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 22:49   #270
Junior Member+

Nice memories Sue. I grew up in Westwood Street. I am 3 years younger than you, but was also at Whalley Road Congregational Youth Club when I heard about JFK. My sister Jean went to the High School, but she is a couple of years older than you. Everitts also had a shop at the bottom of Malt Street before they moved to the old Thornbers shop. You didn't mention Matt Taylor's shop (great iced lollies) before they moved to the opposite corner of Westwood St and Eccles Street, later became SPAR I think.
les stewart is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..