Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2011, 10:53   #31
JCB

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post

Talking about dancing schools, does anyone remember Renee Cosgrove's dancing classes, first at Accy Con (downstairs if I remember correctly) and then in her house up Fern Gore.
On Fairclough Road ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2011, 11:26   #32
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
I also used to go to the Arcs on Knowlmere Street on a Saturday. Thats the first time I met Willie Hart. he used to rock and Roll with two gals at the same time.
Billy Baron and Jimmy Fielding used to do the one man stomp with a load of guys round them. Billy Athis used to try and join in but was about as good as me. Went up Whalley Road Congregational Youth Club few times with two school mates of mine. Eileen Stanton and Eileen Kenyon. Had a crush on both of them. I remember the Friday night I was in the Odean with my girl freind at the time Maureen Wallace when we heard the news of JFK's assassination. They put it on the screen. I also went to the Majestic ballroom (Con club) on a regular basis with my mates Bob Burnside and Jazz Moores. Spent most of the time in the bar. Lionel Morton was a regular in the bar. and I was there when the Merseybeats were there. Stood at the front with my girlfreind at the time Janet Kenyon.
I also left Accy in 68/69 and been away ever since. Live in Kent and now retiered.
Mog some of the names you mention strike a chord with me but no more than that, but from what you say we must have been in the same place at the same time a fair bit. I certainly remember guys doing the one man stomp at the Arcs. I'm glad you mentioned seeing the Merseybeats at the Con as I wasn't a hundred per cent sure on that one.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 14:14   #33

Yes Susie great shock, although did come out in 2007 to see my late brother Ian. I am gradually getting used to it now, but a completely different lifestyle. Don't know how long it will take to get used to the climate though. There are lots of things that I missed here when I lived in Ozz. I still think the night life is better here. The pubs and lunches, the building, I don't think I ever appreciated them when I was younger. I love the Spring with all the wild flowers. There is so much here, that you can turn a blind eye to some of the grotty stuff. I do hate to see all the boarded up houses and the litter around. Makes you wonder how some people live.
Glad you are enjoying your little chats. I have never been on so much before. It is lovely to chat with someone who remembers the same things. Accy web and my sister-in-law Bernie brought me back together with the love of my life, so I have lots to be thankful for.
littlepom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 15:50   #34
Resting In Peace

I have been remembering more shops from the 50s and 60s for anyone that’s interested. These are on Whalley Road starting of course with the Clock Garage which occupied all the space between the top of Milnshaw Lane and the railway bridge. Then going under the bridge, on the other side was Mr Watts barber where my brother used to get his hair cut when he was little, with brilliantine and a quiff! In the block before the Castle pub was Stanton’s, may have been a café, they sold ice cream, Whitewells I think. We used to go there on a Sunday afternoon for ice lollies (suck all the Vimto out!) and ice cream sodas. Then Milton Holgate, butcher, he used to slice bacon for you off a big roll. Our order was always for smoked streaky on number four (that was the thickness he set on the bacon slicer). There was also a newsagent in that block and I think the last shop before the pub was called Hoyle’s, they always had basins of brawn on a marble slab in the window but I’ve no idea what else they sold as we never went in there.

On the corner opposite the pub where the vet’s car park is now was Mr Faulkner’s off licence and stores. This was a long narrow shop extending down Whalley Road. Inside was dark and rather chaotic and we only went in there occasionally. I don’t know if there was a Mrs Faulkner but my cousin told me recently he had a reputation as a dirty old man. I think this shop was next to the Whalley Road Methodist Church. On the opposite side of Whalley Road was Percy’s chippy on the corner which I think is still there in the guise of a Chinese. A bit further down was a hairdressers called Maison Martin where my mum used to go for a shampoo and set and a pink rinse (she had white hair). When I used to go there at first to have my hair cut they had individual cubicles then they ripped them out and went all modern and open plan. I have photos of me as a 15yr old bridesmaid in 1962 with my hair backcombed into a cottage loaf style (I’m sure you can imagine it).

Crossing back over Whalley road, before the Hope & Anchor pub was a grocer called Joinson’s with a proper counter, chairs to sit on and sugar in blue paper bags. My mum used to have an order book where she wrote down what she wanted and they would deliver it. On the corner of Broadway there was a sweetshop and tobacconist, I think it was called Calverley’s. On the other side of Broadway next to where Catlow’s fruit and veg market used to be on the corner, there was a music shop with a grand piano in the window, Howarth’s I think. Also somewhere near there was an army surplus type shop where I got the kit for my first guide camp about 1958 – sleeping bag, kit bag, tin mug and plate and folding cutlery. I know there is/was a similar shop further up Whalley Road but it wasn’t that one.

Can I just mention one or two stalls that I remember in the market hall –Johnny Nolan’s with his wonderful sculptures Winston Churchill bust in white marble and a wooden eagle with spread wings, among others. They used to sell home cooked ham on the bone. Also Len’s cooked meats which was still there last time I looked but that was before the revamp. Two others are Greenwood’s cheese stall (tasty Lancashire in a great big block with lots of crumbs) and Fairbrother’s biscuits with all the tins laid out to choose from. Outside was Wilson’s who sold chickens, a treat in those days. They were hanging up and when you chose one they would cut its head off and draw out its guts for you. There was also a seafood stall which I see from another thread was called Molly’s. We often used to have crab or prawns or winkles for Saturday tea. I love shellfish and it’s ironic that now I live by the sea in Morecambe it’s virtually unobtainable unless you like potted shrimps, which I hate, whereas then there were all sorts to choose from.

The last shop I remember is Saul’s in Black Abbey Street, though only very vaguely. I just recall the name and where it was. I used to go there with my great aunt, that would have been in the fifties when I was at Central Prep School which was at that end of town and she would have met me from school. Until I read some of the other threads on here I had no idea what kind of shop it was, couldn’t remember at all, but it seems to have been a bit of everything.

Well another ramble comes to an end. Happy memories!
Old 30-10-2011, 17:47   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Across from percys chippy on the other corner was Walter Olletts Butchers, his daughter was in me class at St.Johns, n in the middle of that row was a Polish Guy who had a grocers a really nice guy he was.
Old 30-10-2011, 18:15   #36
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Across from percys chippy on the other corner was Walter Olletts Butchers, his daughter was in me class at St.Johns, n in the middle of that row was a Polish Guy who had a grocers a really nice guy he was.
Cheers Cashy I remember the name Walter Ollett but couldn't have told you where the shop was. Don't remember the Polish guy though.
Old 30-10-2011, 18:41   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
On Fairclough Road ?
That definitely rings a bell
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 18:56   #38
Rest in Peace

The music shop was Haworths they had i think 3 or 4 cubicles where you could choose 3 records take them into the cubicles and play them,but when you took the records back to the counter it was expected that you bought one. A good way to spend part of Saturday afternoon.
I bought my first long playing record there 1957 the sound track of High Society still have it but no turntable now as all my music is on the laptop. Good memories.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 23:02   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Cheers Cashy I remember the name Walter Ollett but couldn't have told you where the shop was. Don't remember the Polish guy though.
His shop was right across road from Percys on the corner at top of the pleck,
Old 30-10-2011, 23:03   #40

I remember Stanton's mainly because the son was Barry Stanton the only boy I knew who had ballet lessons. The last time I saw him was when I was back in the UK on holiday I think it was in the early 90's and he was in an ad on the telly playing Henry 8th.
littlepom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 00:10   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

On the corner opposite the pub where the vet’s car park is now was Mr Faulkner’s off licence and stores. This was a long narrow shop extending down Whalley Road. Inside was dark and rather chaotic and we only went in there occasionally. I don’t know if there was a Mrs Faulkner but my cousin told me recently he had a reputation as a dirty old man. I think this shop was next to the Whalley Road Methodist Church.
nearly susie,the off licence was top corner Whalley Rd n Castle St, then there was 4/5 houses, me mate Tony Smith lived in one, also a decorater everyone called Mad Bob from Gotham City, a weirdo that lived wi his elderly mum, then there was a little back alley,across the alley was the Whalley Rd Methodist Church.
Old 31-10-2011, 08:20   #42
I am Banned

Groove was'nt born till 75.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 09:42   #43
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
The music shop was Haworths they had i think 3 or 4 cubicles where you could choose 3 records take them into the cubicles and play them,but when you took the records back to the counter it was expected that you bought one. A good way to spend part of Saturday afternoon.
I bought my first long playing record there 1957 the sound track of High Society still have it but no turntable now as all my music is on the laptop. Good memories.
I wasn't a great record buyer but I remember getting them at Woolies mainly.

That name Haworth - it's a good local name but i'm never quite sure how to spell it - Haworth or Howarth? It must b ea pain if that is your surname and people keep getting it wrong. And to confuse the issue even further I came across someone the other day who spelt her surname HOWORTH!
Old 31-10-2011, 09:45   #44
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
His shop was right across road from Percys on the corner at top of the pleck,
Sorry you've lost me, what is top of the pleck?
Old 31-10-2011, 09:48   #45
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepom View Post
I remember Stanton's mainly because the son was Barry Stanton the only boy I knew who had ballet lessons. The last time I saw him was when I was back in the UK on holiday I think it was in the early 90's and he was in an ad on the telly playing Henry 8th.
Yes they did have a son called Barry who was arty. There is an actor called Barry Stanton who according to the www was born in 1940. I have often wondered if this was him.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..