Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 23:39   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Cashman, was Percys chip shop the one that opened late saturday night and had a cafe upstairs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Had a cafe in the back claytonx, can never remember one upstairs. was on corner of Maudsley St, were yon chinese is now. was also a side door on Maudsley which took yeh straight in the cafe, though yeh could enter through the chippy.
Cashy, I am confused ... I always thought Percy's was as above... then you asked on another thread was it in Plantation Street .. which someone confirmed in another thread !!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2011, 00:10   #62
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Cashy, I am confused ... I always thought Percy's was as above... then you asked on another thread was it in Plantation Street .. which someone confirmed in another thread !!
Was a percys on Plantation street also kate. the whalley rd one became Bills in early 60s
Old 04-11-2011, 00:44   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Have just looked out some old photos which I will be putting in the gallery. Here's one for starters. These are the prefects at the High School when I was in my final year, 1964. I remember quite a lot of the names:

Front row, Margaret Ratcliffe, Marion Coates, Maureen Chew, Carolyn Walker (head girl), Sandra Bibby, ? (games captain), Joan Tomkins

Second row, ?, ?. Janice Brown, Kathleen Stephenson, Suzanne Bradley, Lynn Irving, Marilyn Waring, me (always the shortass on the end)

Third row, Caroline Wray, Katherine Edge, Jennifer Moyle, Beryl Chadwick, ?, Janice Proctor, ?

Back Row, Katherine Eccles, ?, Barbara Robinson, ?, ?, ?, Christine Cookson

more to follow
Went to school with Suzanne Bradley and Christine Cookson at All Saints.
born n bred likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:55   #64
Resting In Peace

So you would be from Clayton then Eric? I'm always amazed at how manyof these names we can remember from way back when.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:54   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
So you would be from Clayton then Eric? I'm always amazed at how manyof these names we can remember from way back when.
Yup .... that's me .... Clayton, bottom end. But sometimes "way back when" doesn't seem to be all that way back.
Old 04-11-2011, 13:07   #66
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Yup .... that's me .... Clayton, bottom end. But sometimes "way back when" doesn't seem to be all that way back.
Was that then a junior school and if so where did pupils go afterwards

When I went to Mount Pleasant it was a council school and pupils came from All Saints after junior school
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 13:48   #67
God Member

Quote:
Was that then a junior school and if so where did pupils go afterwards

When I went to Mount Pleasant it was a council school and pupils came from All Saints after junior school
All Saints was a junior school, and in those days where you went after depended on the eleven plus exam.
Old 04-11-2011, 13:57   #68
Resting In Peace

Quote:
True, Eric, especially when you start on this nostalgia thing.

Quote:
All Saints was a junior school, and in those days where you went after depended on the eleven plus exam.
Ah, the good old 11 plus. Wonder where we'd be today if we still had it?
Old 04-11-2011, 14:00   #69
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Eric would you know the Howson family then and the Hague's ,Tripplets.
Old 04-11-2011, 15:27   #70
God Member

Quote:
Eric would you know the Howson family then and the Hague's ,Tripplets.
"Howson" seems to ring a tiny bell ... but for the life of me I can't remember any triplets.
Old 04-11-2011, 16:22   #71
God Member

Ciao Susie -just saw this and enjoyed reading it, especially as you mention my Grand-parent's Bakers shop -Mr Chaffer on Haywood road -it's always nice when someone remembers them. It's a sad sign of the times that all the small shops are disappearing -squashed by the Supermarkets of course. In fact when our family shop was up for sale, back in the mid 80's, although there were a few interested non could get a loan from the bank to buy the business as they could see the way things were going!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 17:38   #72
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Ciao Susie -just saw this and enjoyed reading it, especially as you mention my Grand-parent's Bakers shop -Mr Chaffer on Haywood road -it's always nice when someone remembers them. It's a sad sign of the times that all the small shops are disappearing -squashed by the Supermarkets of course. In fact when our family shop was up for sale, back in the mid 80's, although there were a few interested non could get a loan from the bank to buy the business as they could see the way things were going!
Great to hear from someone whose family had one of the shops I mentioned. I haven't walked round that area for a while but I bet all those shops are gone - except the chippies! It still beats me how they all managed to make a living but then of course there were no supermarkets.
Old 04-11-2011, 17:50   #73
Senior Member+

I dont believe there were any triplets with that surname. There were the Whelan trips from Clayton
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 18:52   #74
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I dont believe there were any triplets with that surname. There were the Whelan trips from Clayton
Sorry it was how i had done the post it should have read Howsons, Nab & Harry Hague & the Tripplets as you say the Whelans.
Old 05-11-2011, 13:06   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
She was head mistress of a private school, next to Barns furnishings at the bottom of Cannon Street JCB
This was later re-named De Lacey House school and nursery, my son went there from 1980 - 1982. The head at the time was a man called Mr Norcross/Norbert?? He was later (around 1986) accused of interfering with some boys at the school, I don't know if he was convicted or not. The school moved to Rishton shortly after this. I don't know if it is still going now.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..