Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 20:43   #106
Resting In Peace

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Just looked up the profile for whitecrags. I see I was right about him going to Japan, it was just a vague memory. At least he seems to have settled down!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2011, 22:10   #107
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Just looked up the profile for whitecrags. I see I was right about him going to Japan, it was just a vague memory. At least he seems to have settled down!
Don't know if you remember Malcolm Whittaker, he used to knock around with the same crowd. He's on here under the name "OzzyRoma".
Old 08-11-2011, 22:17   #108
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Don't know if you remember Malcolm Whittaker, he used to knock around with the same crowd. He's on here under the name "OzzyRoma".
No can't say I do.

Have PMd whitecrags with that picture, interesting to see if he responds!
Old 15-11-2011, 09:44   #109
mjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

Here’s another blast from the past. This is the Young Liberals at Bowness on Windermere Good Friday 1964. That was the year I left the high school and most of the YLs were a year or two older so would have been at college or university by this time. Hence the display of college scarves! I was never a YL but some of my friends were which is how I came to tag along on this trip.

All the names are on the folder containing the photo together with a key which I can’t reproduce here but if anyone wants to put a name to a face let me know.

They are:

Me and my school friends Janice Brown, Sandra Bibby and Vivian Harrison, and my then boyfriend John Serjeant
Margaret Virtue, older sister of the painter John Virtue, and John Davies. They later married and went to live in America but now live in York
Derek Palk and Stephanie Sames who later married
Alan Hodkinson, Barrie Crook, Arthur Stuttard, David Merigold, Gordon Wrigley, Albert Wilkinson, Jim Wilson, Michael Oglesby, Alan Spencer, Bill Lever
Pat Dalton, Sheila?, Maureen ?

Think that’s all!
Hello there

I'm Derek and Steph's nephew. I randomly found this post via a google search for Derek, who sadly passed away in October. Hope you don't mind but I downloaded the photo to show my parents. I recognised a few of the names above but my Dad (Ken) was able to name most of them from the photo without seeing the cast list!

Cheers
mjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 11:23   #110
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp View Post
Hello there

I'm Derek and Steph's nephew. I randomly found this post via a google search for Derek, who sadly passed away in October. Hope you don't mind but I downloaded the photo to show my parents. I recognised a few of the names above but my Dad (Ken) was able to name most of them from the photo without seeing the cast list!

Cheers
Hello mjp

I'm so pleased you found my photo and was able to pass it on. Very sad to hear that Derek is no longer with us. I wasn't really a member of that group just a hanger on as my best friend was in it, but I do remember your aunt and uncle very well. Stephanie was a year or two above me at the high school.

Thanks for getting in touch.

All the best

Sue
Old 15-11-2011, 11:40   #111
Resting in Peace

I was told about Derek the other day when I saw Albert. Although hadn't seen him since schooldays ... you do feel sad.

On a lighter note, having told Albert about the 'photo .. he asked whether it was the one near the lake. Told him affirmitive of which he answered with a twinkle in his eye .. "There is a tale to that".

Will grab him next time to hear more..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 12:13   #112
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I was told about Derek the other day when I saw Albert. Although hadn't seen him since schooldays ... you do feel sad.

On a lighter note, having told Albert about the 'photo .. he asked whether it was the one near the lake. Told him affirmitive of which he answered with a twinkle in his eye .. "There is a tale to that".

I'm intrigued...
Old 15-11-2011, 22:49   #113
Resting In Peace

Over the Remembrance weekend I was thinking about my granddad who was in the Machine Gun Corps in WWI and stood for most of his life on the fish market when it was in a shed. I wondered what he would have made of the new outdoor market.

I hate that market with a vengeance. It’s claustrophobic and spoils the setting of the market hall. I know there were stalls there years ago but at least they were removable, not a permanent iron pseudo Victorian monstrosity. I don’t visit very often but there always seem to be more empty stalls than those in use. And whose bright idea was it to put the fish stalls amongst everything else? I grew up with that smell and it really is something that should be kept to itself. And how sad to see only two fish stalls left… My granddad would be turning in his grave if he hadn’t been cremated.

I also hate the way that Broadway feels shut in now that the site of the old 60s market has been built on. Mind you I can remember when the other side of Broadway was sunken gardens were the Arndale is now. Used to love going there and rolling down the grassy slopes, possibly followed by tea or ice cream at the Odeon cafe. See the picture below for a good idea of what it was like.

The other picture shows the old fish market, before the 1960s redevelopment. Our family’s stall was at the far end away from the camera and I bet some of those boxes in the middle background have our family name on. It was literally a shed behind the town hall but served its purpose well and was always busy. I remember going down on Good Friday with my granddad’s lunch as they had to be open then. I also remember him going to Fleetwood to buy fish and often coming back with something unusual, such as what we called crayfish but may have been langoustines.

Sadly when he died the firm ceased to trade under our family name but two of his colleagues carried in on in the new fish market. But now that market is but a shadow of its former self. That’s progress I guess…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunkengardens1958.jpg (93.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Fish market.jpg (123.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 15-11-2011, 22:59   #114
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

What a couple of great photos susie, any idea when the fish market one was taken? my guess would be early/mid 50s.
Old 15-11-2011, 23:23   #115
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What a couple of great photos susie, any idea when the fish market one was taken? my guess would be early/mid 50s.
Judging by the clothes I'd say you were about right Cashy. I actually found the photos on this thread:

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...m-55269-5.html
Old 15-11-2011, 23:34   #116
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeah ... mid fifties seems about right.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 07:57   #117
Beacon of light

Happy memories of the sunken Garden.
I used tp play there after my Grandma had done her shopping....she used to go for a sit down and I used to run around the flower beds.
Lovely pictures Sue.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 14:42   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Anything Albert says about that is definitely slanderous! On a sadder note, Gordon Wrigley died a couple of years ago after suffering from lupus for some years.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 15:31   #119
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
Anything Albert says about that is definitely slanderous! On a sadder note, Gordon Wrigley died a couple of years ago after suffering from lupus for some years.
Balbus, I am the instigator of this thread and the person who posted that photo. I was wondering if you were in the picture?

Pm me if you wish to protect your identity on here.

Cheers

Sue
Old 28-11-2011, 11:26   #120
Member.

Fascinating read, one of the best threads I've read on here. Maybe a bit before most peoples time on here but does anyone remember a shop on Stanley Street. made home made toffee and Ice Cream, Ice cream would be sold off a cart in Plantation Square, quite often the toffee would be sold at Stanley Games between the wars and up to the early 50s.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..