Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2005, 14:15   #31

Re: New Era Youth Club

i remember the big d it was good at the time but makes me cringe when i think of it now, thinking i was cool when i was dancing, i used to go with my sister does anyone remember us mellisa and heidi knigge
heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-10-2005, 15:58   #32
BOB

Thanks To All The People Out There Who Got Back To Me About New Era Youth Club Another Member Lampman Is Doing Some Research On New Era For The 5 Th Birthday Of The New Place Opening And Would Like To Copy Any Old Photos Of The Place
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 18:45   #33
I am Banned

heidi i was in the same year as your melissa,we all used to go to the big d every fri night,god thats some years ago, i still see your melissa some times she was in my pub a couple of months ago she's a right laugh,have great memories of school!
MANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 20:02   #34

I joined the New Era Youth Club when it first opened in 1969 (At least, I [think that was the year). I was on the student committee and helped organize a concert by the Spinners Folk Group. We also visited the farm up in Cumbria that was owned by the club. I can't remember the name, but it may have been Hallbeck or something like that. I'm just not sure. It was a wonderful youth club back then, a great place for young people to hang out. There was never any trouble and it didn't have a bad reputation. In fact, to this day, I often refer to it as a shining example of what a youth club SHOULD be like, so I'm sorry to read in other posts that it ended up having a bad reputation. What went wrong?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 20:33   #35

i went to new era disco; on wednesday nights in the eighties ; i hung around with lee curtis ; nipper ;stuart; derrick ; and all that lot ; i loved it ; wish there was something like that now so my kids can go ;

Last edited by pussycat; 30-04-2008 at 20:36.
pussycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 20:40   #36
Resting in Peace

Went with school for trampoline training late 60's early 70's
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:07   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I joined the New Era Youth Club when it first opened in 1969 (At least, I [think that was the year). I was on the student committee and helped organize a concert by the Spinners Folk Group. We also visited the farm up in Cumbria that was owned by the club. I can't remember the name, but it may have been Hallbeck or something like that. I'm just not sure. It was a wonderful youth club back then, a great place for young people to hang out. There was never any trouble and it didn't have a bad reputation. In fact, to this day, I often refer to it as a shining example of what a youth club SHOULD be like, so I'm sorry to read in other posts that it ended up having a bad reputation. What went wrong?
I've a feelin the place in Cumbria is Borwick Hall Helen, which is a youth centre owned by Lance County Council, I worked there in the 70s, well I delivered a bottle cooler, If I remember rightly its just south of Kendal
Old 01-05-2008, 10:53   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pussycat View Post
i went to new era disco; on wednesday nights in the eighties ; i hung around with lee curtis ; nipper ;stuart; derrick ; and all that lot ; i loved it ; wish there was something like that now so my kids can go ;
My daughter used to go at that time you may know her
Old 02-05-2008, 20:59   #39

Question Re: New Era Youth Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
My daughter used to go at that time you may know her
i mite do ; tell me abit about her and i;ll let you know ; she mite of known my sister to ;
pussycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:12   #40

Hi Guys,
looking to talk to anyone who remembers the punk nights at New Era late 77.
I know local bands like Schoolgirl bitch/cybermen/
aswell as other E:Lancs bands like grout/demolition/dregs/pathetix/stiffs
played & out of town acts like molesters from Brighton & punk heavyweights like Lurkers & Eater from London all played New Era & bold st working mans club.
C'mon you old punx get in touch did you see any of the above bands play live? in accy or over at LODESTAR
can you remember any of the old punk faces?
I was at Erics mostly myself being a mickeymouser, but the funny thing is I moved up to Barlick later & was Youth Leader at the Basement! Did'nt know then that Schoolgirl Bitch had actually played the Basement!
I work at The royal (queens park) a lot now!
mickmada
mickmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 17:20   #41
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I was only 5 yrs in 77
Old 03-10-2009, 18:02   #42
Senior Member+

Hi Mick, we used to rehearse in the basement of the New Era in 1977 - 78. There was what I think was an old industrial freezer, sometimes in there other times in the room next to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmada View Post
Hi Guys,
looking to talk to anyone who remembers the punk nights at New Era late 77.
I know local bands like Schoolgirl bitch/cybermen/
aswell as other E:Lancs bands like grout/demolition/dregs/pathetix/stiffs
played & out of town acts like molesters from Brighton & punk heavyweights like Lurkers & Eater from London all played New Era & bold st working mans club.
C'mon you old punx get in touch did you see any of the above bands play live? in accy or over at LODESTAR
can you remember any of the old punk faces?
I was at Erics mostly myself being a mickeymouser, but the funny thing is I moved up to Barlick later & was Youth Leader at the Basement! Did'nt know then that Schoolgirl Bitch had actually played the Basement!
I work at The royal (queens park) a lot now!
mickmada
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 20:01   #43

I used to go the New Era every night in the 80's as I live up on Royds Street, Woodnook. I remember we used to do the all-night DISCOs to raise money to go on trips to Spain. Twelve of us went in a minibus with Greg the youth leader. Also, Ken and Doreen. We also used to go to Borwick Hall and the Lake District doing outdoor activities. I was also in the netball team and remember playing some very rough teams from Blackburn. All-in-all the New Era was fun.
AmandaLyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 19:48   #44

Used to go to the Era then and loved Schoolgirl Bitch! Saw them at Ossie Town Hall and we booted holes in the front of their very nice stage which ended up looking like cheese! Good times, some of the best of my life!
Kev Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 19:51   #45

Hiya! I went on the trip to Spain too with Mick Cronshaw and Chaddy! Got in touch with Doreen lately and her daughter Michelle! Those all night punk 'discos' were magic.
Kev Gray is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..