Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2004, 17:27   #1
BOB

New Era Youth Club

Has Any Body Out There Got Any Stories About New Era From The Past 20 Or 30 Years
Thanks Bob
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-10-2004, 13:23   #2
Junior Member+

Re: New Era Youth Club

I used to play in the netball team in the 70's. Do they still have the netball/football/tennis courts downstairs now?
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 16:05   #3

used to go to the all night disco's in the 80's
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 20:49   #4
God Member

I went to the disco's in the mid eighties, there weren't many places to go then, it was ok very tame!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 20:53   #5
Junior Member+

yea they still have a football court there in side downstairs my son goes to the youth club there
diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2004, 07:15   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I went to the disco a couple of times in the 80's. A lot of my mates raved about the Era but I preferred the Funnies disco. Never really enjoyed Era disco the music and atmosphere at Funnies was way better IMHO.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2004, 14:55   #7

I used to go there in the 70's, Cal did the disco if I remember rightly, I also went to a few of the all nighters & played in the New Era netball team,
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 12:36   #8

I used to go almost every night in the mid 70's Ritchie was the youth leader. Ben Spack used to call in regularly. It had it's own punk band 'school girl bitch' who actually brought out a single. We had weekends away to Borwick hall. And who could forget Rosa the little Italian lady who used to make us potato cakes & biscuits. Ah they were the days
FriendofAccyEra likes this.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 09:15   #9
I am Banned

Smile Re: New Era Youth Club

used to go in the late 70s early eighties wednesday night disco,i enjoyed it, it was the high light of our week all them years ago.you would get all different groups of people there,punks,new wavers,mods,etc etc i cant recall ever any trouble,good memories though.
MANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 09:42   #10
Resting in Peace

Is that where you met staggeringman ,MANDS just cant see staggers as a punk hehe
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 19:42   #11
I am Banned

mick i actually met paul at the sports centre,he was a swimming attendant, quite a ladys man then,i worked in the cafe,great memories there to,sporty disco was ok but not as good as the new era.
MANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 15:19   #12
Junior Member+

i remember the sportsy disco was a lot of fun ....until the trouble started and one lad got stabbed. kind'o petered off after that and we started going to the funnies instead.

anyone remember the big D in ossy?

a friend of mine has just mentioned it.
Old 16-06-2005, 20:29   #13

Used to go there in the errrrrrrr 70's had my first drink of lager and lime there... ( thought it was the real thing)

then we used to go to the chippy op the old baths....

seems like yesterday...
yone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:55   #14

I went to the New Era in the early-mid 70's. Think it was Cal who did the disco, would love to know if anyone of the following are members of this site. Elaine Robertshaw, Maggie Johnson, Paul Riley, steven Gaynor, Elaine married Derek whose surname escapes me,Keith Roberts, Des Ball anyone from round that time really. Cheers
Old 07-09-2005, 13:00   #15
I am Banned

There must be loads of stories because it had a reputation & was reason i was not allowed to go my mum was strict & wouldn't let me go unfortunately i did what i was told in those days
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..