Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2011, 19:03   #16

Re: Nobbys garage

In fact both garages are for sale, listed as East and West
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4280.jpg (515.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4281.jpg (477.1 KB, 24 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2011, 21:44   #17
Junior Member+

Do you remember the aeroplane propellor which seemed to serve the purpose of holding back the steep bank behind the garage? When I was just a youngster, my Granddad used to buy his petrol there. Nobby told me that the plane had crashed into the bank and all that was left was the prop!
pashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 21:40   #18
Junior Member+

I seem to remember that Nobby always wore a rather oily beret, and seemed to be permanently tanned - though no doubt in Baxenden that was weather-beaten rather than anything else.

A gent.

Rgds

John45378
John45378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:29   #19
Senior Member+

I used to buy my petrol at Hillock Vale Motors on Burnley Road. Four Gallon for a quid.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:17   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I used to buy my petrol at Hillock Vale Motors on Burnley Road. Four Gallon for a quid.
I can remember filling my Rover 2000TC up with 5 star, for £2-50p
Old 04-03-2012, 12:13   #21

Yes it was five bob a gallon when I worked on a petrol station in 1969, I had a BSA Bantam and couldn't fit a quids worth in !
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:40   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Yes it was five bob a gallon when I worked on a petrol station in 1969, I had a BSA Bantam and couldn't fit a quids worth in !
Um BSA Bantam wadey, Bits Stuck Anywhere
Old 06-03-2012, 22:14   #23

I always remember my dad filling up with petrol at Nobby's...come the budget time dad would drive over to Nobby's to fill up the tank to save about 2d (2 owd pennies) a gallon just before 10.00pm when it was due to go up, there was always a queue of cars filling up.
He did used to have an old oily beret and I think a brown smock and as you say always looked tanned, but my uncle who new Nobby well, always said he worked 7 days a week 365 days a year and had never had a holiday and worked 4.00am till about 10.30 pm everyday. He joked that Nobbys only ambition was to eventually retire and see his house in daylight....LOL

I also remember filling my scooter up at the JET willows lane garage and it being about 32p a gallon in 1971...ish I think.

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:56   #24
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
I always remember my dad filling up with petrol at Nobby's...come the budget time dad would drive over to Nobby's to fill up the tank to save about 2d (2 owd pennies) a gallon just before 10.00pm when it was due to go up, there was always a queue of cars filling up.
He did used to have an old oily beret and I think a brown smock and as you say always looked tanned, but my uncle who new Nobby well, always said he worked 7 days a week 365 days a year and had never had a holiday and worked 4.00am till about 10.30 pm everyday. He joked that Nobbys only ambition was to eventually retire and see his house in daylight....LOL

I also remember filling my scooter up at the JET willows lane garage and it being about 32p a gallon in 1971...ish I think.

Phil
Nobby never wore a brown smock, he sometimes wore khaki trousers, and always wore army style boots, and his beret was like Fred Dibnah's, cap never off his head, his wife brought his meals round for him, when he was living in Langford St.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 19:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Nobby never wore a brown smock, he sometimes wore khaki trousers, and always wore army style boots, and his beret was like Fred Dibnah's, cap never off his head, his wife brought his meals round for him, when he was living in Langford St.
Retlaw.
Yep you are right I stand corrected...it was probably nearly 40 yrs ago...did he used to wear a big belt over his trousers and rolled up sleeves.. i seem to have these visions of him as well..

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 20:03   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
Yep you are right I stand corrected...it was probably nearly 40 yrs ago...did he used to wear a big belt over his trousers and rolled up sleeves.. i seem to have these visions of him as well..

Phil
Don't remember any big belt, but yes his sleeves were always rolled up, he would be out serving petrol in all weathers, you had to make sure you didn't stand in front of the stove when he got back in the office, that was his spot.
2200 was closing time, helped him lock up many times, making sure all the tools had been put away,
pumps were switched off & locked, his final act was to switch off the office lights, and lock the door.
I spent many an evening during the 1950/60's with Nobby, he liked a bit of company, in the evenings, especially during the wintry months, when there was'nt much traffic about.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 20:13   #27

it was at nobby`s about 78 or 79 he was selling a jenson interceptor.niether me or my mates had ever seen owt as exotic.....apaertfrom the aston martin with a dinted wing that was down oakwood rd
scoot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot66 View Post
it was at nobby`s about 78 or 79 he was selling a jenson interceptor.niether me or my mates had ever seen out as exotic.....apaertfrom the aston martin with a dinted wing that was down oakwood rd
The directors of Joseph Arnold's at Church all had Jensen Interceptors, they looked well in the directors car park

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..