Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 11:47   #1

Nobbys garage

I was driving back into Accy from Haslingden a couple of weeks ago and passed the site where "Nobby" had his garage. My misses laughed when I told her that he used to stop the traffic to let you out after filling you up. Anybody remember him and what happened to him?
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2011, 13:05   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Nobbys garage

I don't know what happened to him, but I do remember him going out into the road to stop traffic to let you out.
My dad always bought his petrol from there, or a little garage that was just off the bottom end of Warner St(Oak St...maybe). It might still be there for all I know.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 13:37   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
I was driving back into Accy from Haslingden a couple of weeks ago and passed the site where "Nobby" had his garage. My misses laughed when I told her that he used to stop the traffic to let you out after filling you up. Anybody remember him and what happened to him?
Knew Norman Taylor and his family very well, His father started that business just after WW1, first selling petrol in 2 gallon jerry cans, then expanded into what it became, when Nobby & his son Joe ran it, Nobby's daughter did the book work.
Old Joseph who started the business, served in the A.S.C., in WW1, he used to come in every day to check the books & count the money, until just before he died.
Nobby were a beggar for playing practical jokes, and he could tell some dam good tales as well.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 15:44   #4

At one time Baxenden had the cheapest petrol for miles
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 16:43   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Knew Norman Taylor and his family very well, His father started that business just after WW1, first selling petrol in 2 gallon jerry cans, then expanded into what it became, when Nobby & his son Joe ran it, Nobby's daughter did the book work.
Old Joseph who started the business, served in the A.S.C., in WW1, he used to come in every day to check the books & count the money, until just before he died.
Nobby were a beggar for playing practical jokes, and he could tell some dam good tales as well.
Retlaw.
I knew Joe very well Walter, he was a joiner by trade and I worked with him at Arnold Rileys Barfitters for a few years
Old 04-09-2011, 18:44   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I knew Joe very well Walter, he was a joiner by trade and I worked with him at Arnold Rileys Barfitters for a few years
Not sin young Joe for years, he used to live near Rising Bridge Post Office, and his sister Pat used to live near Windles paper Shop. Not seen either of them in oer 30 odd years.
Retlaw.
Old 04-09-2011, 18:46   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
At one time Baxenden had the cheapest petrol for miles
Thats because Nobby used to sell Jet, have'nt seen that Jet petrol since then, what happened to it.
Retlaw.
Old 04-09-2011, 20:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I too remember Joe from my time at Arnold Rileys he was a great roll model for us young uns. I remember him telling of a yellow Triumph Dolomite he found in Nobby's garage after Nobby's demise. It was a good few years old but "brand new" in terms of condition and mileage.
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:01   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Not sin young Joe for years, he used to live near Rising Bridge Post Office, and his sister Pat used to live near Windles paper Shop. Not seen either of them in oer 30 odd years.
Retlaw.
I haven't seen him since I moved back to Ossy in 86 Walter, used to see him knocking about round the Bridge when I frequent the metropolis and your right he did near the post office
Old 05-09-2011, 09:03   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
I too remember Joe from my time at Arnold Rileys he was a great roll model for us young uns. I remember him telling of a yellow Triumph Dolomite he found in Nobby's garage after Nobby's demise. It was a good few years old but "brand new" in terms of condition and mileage.
Ya he was a top bloke, learnt quite a lot from him and Ben
Old 05-09-2011, 10:32   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thats because Nobby used to sell Jet, have'nt seen that Jet petrol since then, what happened to it.
Retlaw.
First gallon of jet petrol I bought cost 4 bob.

I can't remember which brand Nobby sold but I filled up there a few times after I moved over here. I remember him stopping traffic to let me get out on to the road in my little van.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:03   #12

In 1954 when the petrol supply was de-regulated, Bill Roberts set up Jet Petroleum Ltd - a name inspired by 'JET' - the prefix of vehicles registered in Rotherham, Yorkshire and his first tanker, JET 855.

Soon Bill was seeing demand from the smaller independent retailers around Yorkshire for an alternative supplier to the major brands which effectively controlled the supply and price of petrol. He began selling fuel at lower prices and the JET network started to grow as motorists began searching out these lower price outlets.
In 1961, JET was bought by Conoco Inc, which built on JET’s low price tradition. JET never lost sight of the customer and always offered value for money.

Jet History
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:36   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
First gallon of jet petrol I bought cost 4 bob.

I can't remember which brand Nobby sold but I filled up there a few times after I moved over here. I remember him stopping traffic to let me get out on to the road in my little van.
Nobby sold Jet, Shell, Esso, Diesel, and Paraffin.
Other oil companies hated Jet because of its low price, they started rumours that it would ruin engines. I ran my Triumph 650 off it, and to prove them wrong, we took the cylinder heads of my bike, to have a look, it was as clean as a whistle inside, after near 8000 miles running on Jet.
Retlaw.
Old 24-10-2011, 14:46   #14

Quote:
Retlaw.
The garage at the bottom of Willows Lane used to sell Jet in the 60's.
It was known to us kids as the Jet garage.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 15:45   #15

Nobby's Hole in the Wall was always worth the trip. That is until they opened the Jet station at the bottom of Willows Lane. Petrol prices had begun their long journey ever upward and we all went to great lengths to save what we could.
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..