Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2011, 08:41   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Ok.......nostalgia Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Hope you redirected her to Blackburnweb!
Sod of we're trying to get shut of him on there
Old 29-07-2011, 08:44   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I'll have you know there are some very sophisticated people on BW Wyn, there's me for a start, then Retlaw, Katex, but the biggest plus is there's no Mancie or comnstanley
Old 24-09-2011, 12:41   #33
Junior Member+

Hi ithink the ritz was on church st. just pass j.g. barnes furniture shop i used to work there as a carpet fitter in 1954..please correct me if i am wrong.
nannamavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 20:29   #34

Noboby,s mentioned the Ritz and Empress in Clayton.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 22:35   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
Noboby,s mentioned the Ritz and Empress in Clayton.
Ok ... one was by the bridge over the cut, near the con club, I think ... and the other was up past the Load, opposite the chippy, which would make it the top end .... but I can't for the life of me remember which was which I think the Empire was the one by the bridge ... I remember watching cultural gems like "The Thing From Planet X" ... and I remember the going to watch "Rock Around the Clock" in the one by the Load. Also saw my first skin flick there, "Naked As Nature Intended" I think it was called. This was a great cinema: 3d on Saturdays for a cartoon, an oater, and the cliffhanger I also remember that it was referred to as the laugh and scratch ... similar to the bug hut, I guess. Oh, and you could whip out when it was slow and grab a bag of chips from across the road.

A different world, running down the street with your mac buttoned around your neck to look like Batman's cape ... I miss it sometimes. Must be getting old
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 06:25   #36

Eric, it was the Star, ( later the Carlton ) next to the Load of Mischief, and the Empress, accross the road from the Commercial Pub. The chippy, accross the road from the Star, was Dora's then it was chan's, for great curry & chips with two fried eggs.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 07:55   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Eric, it was the Star, ( later the Carlton ) next to the Load of Mischief, and the Empress, accross the road from the Commercial Pub. The chippy, accross the road from the Star, was Dora's then it was chan's, for great curry & chips with two fried eggs.
Ok ... thanx .... I remember the chippy well .... I think I got in on the curry and chips thing ... but I can't remember the fried eggs bit
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 08:37   #38
I am Banned

dont forget the grand cinema on blackburn road great harwood on the corner of rushton street,also one in rishton on the corner of walmsley street and the high street near the walmsley arms
alan7554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 08:44   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7554 View Post
dont forget the grand cinema on blackburn road great harwood on the corner of rushton street,also one in rishton on the corner of walmsley street and the high street near the walmsley arms
I know the one in Gt Harwood became a Bingo Hall Alan, because Fred Skinner had it in the 70/80s the Carlton as well at one time, he also had one near the Canal in Clayton, did a bit of work on both of them for Fred at some time
Old 25-09-2011, 19:03   #40
Senior Member+

It is a litle known fact outside the town that all of Accrington's cinemas began with the letter 'T':-

Th'Odeon, th'Empire, t'Princess, t'Palace, t'Ritz and t'King's Hall.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 08:54   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
It is a litle known fact outside the town that all of Accrington's cinemas began with the letter 'T':- Th'Odeon

, th'Empire, t'Princess, t'Palace, t'Ritz and t'King's Hall.
Tha doesn't say
Old 09-01-2012, 05:12   #42

I used to go dancing down the Ritz-met a boy who owned 9 suits! He came from Blackburn, though!
Stephanie Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:13   #43

Heyup, lad!
Stephanie Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:37   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Wallace View Post
I used to go dancing down the Ritz-met a boy who owned 9 suits! He came from Blackburn, though!
Was actually 10 Stephanie and I didn't come from Blackburn
Old 18-01-2012, 20:09   #45

the pictures in ossy was the palace,rhyddings street where the shopfitters used to be, my doctor was on that street dr millar
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..