Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2006, 12:09   #1

Ok.......nostalgia Time

When I was a kid...I used to love going to the pictures.I used to go at least 3 times a week...Now in those days, Accy was well served with picture theatres....there was the Empire and the Princes next door to each other in Edgar st...the Princes was the one where I usually ended up behind a pole....grrrrrrrrr,cos I couldn,t afford to sit upstairs....then there was the Odeon.....where I recall queueing for 2 hrs to get in to see a performance of The Inn of the Sixth Happiness and ended up in the very front row craning my neck to see the film...my favourite was the Palace in Abbey street....but who can recall the picture theatre across the road lovingly referred to by the youngsters as....the bughut....seem to remember it had a double barelled name..can still remember the guy with the long pole going up the sides of the auditorium closing the shutters before the performance......in those days you were wise to pay extra and sit upstairs......threepence for downstairs.....sixpence for upstairs....cos the youngsters had the disgusting habit of spitting on the cattle below..
It was also interesting to note that this theatre frowned on ice creams at interval and had trays full of penny arrows and black sambos......oh happy days

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2006, 12:40   #2
white rabbits

Re: Ok.......nostalgia Time

[quote=talentedbutslow black sambos......oh happy days

Tal[/quote]
OH SHOCK HORROR.........black sambos,,,,,you cant say that now,,,lol but they were great,, big black bubbles,i liked chix too..
We lived in Burnley,and there were a few cinemas that catered for kids ... Saturday morning at the Odeon...the Empress ie (bug and scratch)sat afternoons
stamping our feet at the baddies and cheering at the goodies...
bottles of pop with a straw, and 2oz of peardrops...
YES talentedbutslow ,they were happy days
Old 06-04-2006, 14:16   #3
Beacon of light

It was called the Kings hall...and it 2d to get in.....kids upstairs threw orange peel on those downstairs....my brothers used to get in via the fire exit if they had no money....and I don't know the finer details of how because I always paid!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 14:19   #4
Beacon of light

And do you remember the Ritz....? The programmes changed twice a week, and they often had the horror pics......I used to stand and look at the photos from the films, (which were in a glass case outside) on my way to Peel Park school.
Old 06-04-2006, 15:47   #5
Resting in peace

Anyone remember the Queens Hall in Church, later the Tudor? Ossy even had two cinemas, the Palladium and the Empire, with a change of programme twice a week.

Ah, but we didn't have the telly then ...
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 16:27   #6
Senior Member+

I used to have to take my little brother to the Odeon in Accy every Saturday.

He was such a nuisance!
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 17:36   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
And do you remember the Ritz....? The programmes changed twice a week, and they often had the horror pics......I used to stand and look at the photos from the films, (which were in a glass case outside) on my way to Peel Park school.
Remember all the others mentioned Margaret, but not the Ritz ? which in my recollection was a ballroom just past the Bridge Pub. I went to Peel Park, and if here (converted later to ballroom) then you had a long walk
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 17:40   #8
Beacon of light

There was a Ritz picture place as well as the ballroom (I think)...wasn't much interested in dancing but was interested in films.......and at the time I lived in the Woodnook area...so yes it was a fairly long walk. I used to meet my friend who lived at the pub just below the Ritz picture place.....her name was Susan Denwood......we used to walk to school together and I used to spend my bus fare on Majestic wafers at playtime
Old 06-04-2006, 20:07   #9
Beacon of light

I can't remember the name of the pub....it was on the opposite side of the street to the Bridge pub......and I think it was a Massey's pub......you know my memory isn't quite as good as I'd like it to be
Old 06-04-2006, 20:32   #10
Passed away 25-11-09

I remember the Ritz cinema, the Ritz "ballroom" was where (amongst other places) my dad played drums in the band (The Ritz Syncopated Orchestra, leader Sid Ashmead) in the late 1920s and early 30s. Not sure if the 2 places were connected.

I used to go to the Palladium every week with my mum in the pre-telly days and have memories of my dad taking me every Thursday for a few weeks to the Empire, Oswaldtwistle, to see the Superman series starring Kirk Something-or-other (not Douglas). Dad never went to the pictures as a rule - but he liked Superman.

Only went once to the Bug-hut, with my brother. He convinced me I had caught fleas when we came out (I hadn't, of course) and I really itched!
Old 06-04-2006, 21:24   #11

hmmm......the Ritz Ballroom.......mum and dad used to be dancing teachers there.....I think in the 40,s or 50,s......
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:31   #12

I used to go to the Princess and Empire down Edgar St. Also to the Palladium in Ossy, but that was a real dump. I don't remember the Empire in Ossy, where was it? on Union Rd.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:14   #13
Senior Member+

The Empire Ossy was a bit lower down than the Palladium on the opposite side down a ginnell. It was better known as a dance place, I had some of my best times there in the late 50s early 60s. I remember going to the Ritz as a lad, it was on the brew coming off the street where the Pop Club is down Church St. The Bug Hut was over the Kings Hall snooker hall, I spent many a Saturday afternoon there cheering the "goodies" and booing the "badies". I think that,s where we watched Flash Gordon too, or maybe that was the Pallace. Most of the old picture places had a snogging area at the back, at least it was supposed to be for snogging!!!!!
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:04   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Anyone remember the Queens Hall in Church, later the Tudor? Ossy even had two cinemas, the Palladium and the Empire, with a change of programme twice a week.

Ah, but we didn't have the telly then ...
Wasn't there three in Ossy?

I seem to remember there was one next to the Conservative club, now demolished and the site of four houses.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 14:24   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

I can't remember one next to the Con club, though the Empire wasn't far away from there, but there was one on the street where Ryddings Park gates are at the top - it may have been called the Palace, I'm not sure. The street name escapes me too.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..