Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2010, 08:30   #1
Junior Member+

Old Dj's

Been looking through the old threads, found one old Dj's, anyone remember Adrian Ross from the Mecca, time is tight, ?? haha
5th Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-09-2010, 09:20   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Old Dj's

Talking of old DJs one of the best mobile discos about in the late seventies early eighties, was DISCOMANTIS run by Barry Prattley and Paul(can remember his surname) they did the Thursday and Friday discos at Martholme Grange
Old 30-09-2010, 21:16   #3
Junior Member+

Hi, saw that you used to live on Eagle st in Ossy, when was that, ?? I had a m,ate John lived there a while, a pigeon guy,
Old 09-10-2010, 09:04   #4

Discomanis did the Lodestar before Martholme Grange.
Cheetah was a mate of Barry and Paul,I cannot remember he other Pauls surname.
Anyone heard about Cheetah's wereabouts ?His First Name was Paul.
Used to hang around the Pickwick.
johnenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:24   #5
Resting in Peace

Re: Old Djs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Circle View Post
Hi, saw that you used to live on Eagle st in Ossy, when was that, ?? I had a m,ate John lived there a while, a pigeon guy,
1967 to 1972, can remember any John living on Eagle St in those days except ME as for pigeon fancier, there were pens at the front owned by John Ormerod Sen and one outback owned by a father and son team, can't remember their name but all three were into pigeons
Old 09-10-2010, 09:54   #6
Super Moderator

Anybody remember Big Mick Ward? DJ at Accy Disco in late 60's and bus driver on Accy Transport. Gave me a good education in black American soul music - summat you couldn't learn at AGS!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Anybody remember Big Mick Ward? DJ at Accy Disco in late 60's and bus driver on Accy Transport. Gave me a good education in black American soul music - summat you couldn't learn at AGS!
Which disco was that Wyn,
Old 09-10-2010, 10:09   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Which disco was that Wyn,
On Whalley Road on the second floor of that red brick building where Catlows was. Started in summer, 1967 and I was one of the first members. You went through a little doorway and up a flight of stairs. They had that strange luminous lighting that made the pass out stamp on your hand glow - cracking music though!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:17   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
On Whalley Road on the second floor of that red brick building where Catlows was. Started in summer, 1967 and I was one of the first members. You went through a little doorway and up a flight of stairs. They had that strange luminous lighting that made the pass out stamp on your hand glow - cracking music though!
Got me there Wyn, don't think I ever went there, if I did I must have been 3 sheets to the wind
Old 09-10-2010, 10:20   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Got me there Wyn, don't think I ever went there, if I did I must have been 3 sheets to the wind
Probably wouldn't have appealed to you - no alcohol served. I was only about 16-17 when I went there...moved on to licensed venues a couple of years later!
Old 09-10-2010, 13:38   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Probably wouldn't have appealed to you - no alcohol served. I was only about 16-17 when I went there...moved on to licensed venues a couple of years later!
Ah well why didn't you say its obviouse why I'd never heard of it
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30   #12
Junior Member+

Hi Wyn,
I remember the disco well, was my first time out so to speak, the lights also showed the bits on your jacket, haha, spent many an hour trying to get them off,
Do you remember the guy everyone was in awe of dancing / popularity etc, Joe Davitt, gees thats a long time ago,
Old 11-10-2010, 08:32   #13
Junior Member+

Hi Jaysay,
I'm the son of the father and son team, I remember you well, Dave
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33   #14
Junior Member+

The other John was John Morphett, originally from Accrington, but came to live up our way around that time
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45   #15
Resting in Peace

Re: Old Djs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Circle View Post
Hi Jaysay,
I'm the son of the father and son team, I remember you well, Dave
Now you've got me thinking Dave and trying to picture you, which I'm normally very good at, but I'm struggling this time Obviously you must have gone in the Bull, everybody did.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..