Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2006, 16:29   #1
God Member

old haunts

just got back from rainy accy and while we were driving through from church commercial along blackburn road got thinking back to my early days of going to pub and just how much has changed .
one of the first pubs i drank in was the commercial...remember i got chucked out for being under age cus my mum found out that i was in there and phoned the landlord up and told him to chuck me out so we all went down to stag instead haha ..then of course there was the oak tree had some good nights in there ..
then my fav... THE BLOCKADE.. with its so called blue room at the back ..ah my younger days, i worked at asda at the time (now glynwebb) and after work it was the place to be .always packed out .then there was the one on union st but cant remember what it was called ,? had nightclub upstairs...

dont know what accy is like now but those were the best days .. anyone else got fond memories of their fav haunts ?
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-09-2006, 00:15   #2
God Member

Re: old haunts

still cant think of the name of that pub on union st ..got me thinkin ..anyone any ideas
Old 23-09-2006, 11:35   #3
God Member

I think the pub you mean was once called the Astronaut..they did have a "disco" upstairs in the 70's and 80's.. the Blockade was great in the back room "hells kitchen" lol
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 11:45   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee
then there was the one on union st but cant remember what it was called ,? had nightclub upstairs...
It was called Astronaut and the upstairs nightclub was called the Apollo, in 80's changed its name to Faces later becoming Sidewalk 54 ...... which is what is was called when I was going in slighly under-age

Nags Head was one of my favs .... they were serving me at 16 but we were never a problem to the staff, we just used to go in back room playing pool and only ever got slighly typsy.

I was also managing to get in the Funnies at 16 ......... GOD what a s**t hole that place was!!
Old 23-09-2006, 11:49   #5
God Member

Here ! calm down Tinkerbelle .. the Funnies was the hub of Accrington nightlife!
Old 23-09-2006, 11:50   #6
God Member

Mine was the Old Railway.....had some good nights in there.

Then got introduced to the Lar-de's at age 13 from a NAUGHTY big-little sister and spent every weekend there. Then when I was old enough to go out, didn't want to because it was boring lol.

never did I get asked for I.D in Lar-de's from being 13 onwards..... but had some cracking nights oh the memories!!!!!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 11:53   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie
Here ! calm down Tinkerbelle .. the Funnies was the hub of Accrington nightlife!
Well it would be. I guess it was the only place you could pull Mancie
Old 23-09-2006, 11:56   #8
God Member

Lar-de's at 13? christ! they wouldn't even let me in half the time.. over 21's and not even allowed in with short sleeved shirts at one time.
Old 23-09-2006, 11:57   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Well it would be. I guess it was the only place you could pull Mancie
Yep.. used to be fighting em' off with a ****ty stick!
Old 23-09-2006, 11:58   #10
I am Banned

Mine was arcade bar at 16, tho still do the usual town centre pubs regency & warners as i did then - now hehehehe nowt changed then went round blackburn, Cav, & pubs round there, then darwen, Kazzys & another i cant remember name of it, all before the age of 18 & never once got stopped for ID tho a few mates i was with slightly older than me got refused from Cav
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 12:01   #11
God Member

Quote:
Yep.. used to be fighting em' off with a ****ty stick!
OMG ROFLMFAO!! In the funnies? The favoured drinking establishment of the desperate and depraved ..... I'd keep quiet about that one Mancie
Old 23-09-2006, 12:07   #12
God Member

The Cav in blackburn was another place sometimes didn't get in.. it was a case of sex discrimination.. gangs of ladies would walk striaght in but us blokes had to split up into 2's and the doormen would ask were you were from.. had to say Blackburn, if you got no luck you had the old mecca which was like a kiddies disco or .. the dreaded Top hat club.. if anyone thought the Funnies was bad!!!!
Old 23-09-2006, 12:10   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
OMG ROFLMFAO!! In the funnies? The favoured drinking establishment of the desperate and depraved ..... I'd keep quiet about that one Mancie
well it weren't to bad on weekdays.. specially what we called "family allowance" night.. lol
Old 23-09-2006, 12:12   #14
I am Banned

LOL yeh the doormen at the cav were a bit gestapo with the guys a couple in our group we were with were refused as well as me female friend but us that didnt get in blagged them in as it was a birthday celebration night & lucky for them they got in - which is just as well we got the whole nightclub to ourselves anyway - really dead that night but it was a good one LOL
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 17:30   #15
God Member

forgot about the funnies lol which cant be a bad thing god it was soooo rough in there i dropped it fo lar de s too rem seeing gerry and the pacemakers up there now they were good nights
having said that we used to go in funnies b4 it got its 2am licence wasnt too bad then

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..