Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 19:08   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Old Motor

I was assure by the owner of the Ford that it is in regular use.

The other vehicle is a Leyland DAF ex post office wan converted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSC_0036.jpg (586.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3552.jpg (518.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-09-2011, 19:23   #32
God Member

I owned an almost identical zephyr only mine was black with column gear change and bench front seat. I loved that car and would love another.

The car pictured is a zephyr 4 but is actually has the early all white indicator/side light fitted so is technically illegal you could only use them up to feb 1963...

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:29   #33
Senior Member+

I had a Zodiac Mk 2 in 1962, I think it was four years old when I bought it.
That also had column change and a bench seat.
The only photo I have of it was taken at Morecambe. It has me and all the other six people who went in it with me stood along side it. Not much car showing.

My first car was a 1947 Anglia, 8hp side valve. Similar to the one pictured below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e04a.jpg (31.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-09-2011, 21:53   #34
God Member

difference is I was only 22/23 ish at the time and the Zephyr was 6 years older than me!

I've always enjoyed playing with old cars, they just have so much more character than new stuff. Its only the fact I drive 120 miles a day to work that a classic Daily Driver is not practical to me. otherwise I'd not be driving a bland jap box...

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 22:22   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

seem to recall the zephyr was called the "Flying Pig" back in the day.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:45   #36
God Member

I like my 1990 Caddie de Ville ... V-8, 4.5L ... just under 118,000 km ... original paint ... wire wheels .... never driven in winter ... interior immaculate ... tinted windows ... all the whistles and bells A genuine full load road toad.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:37   #37
Senior Member+

When I was about 23 me and mate had an Oldsmobile Rocket 88. Very quick off the mark but when it saw a corner it surrendered.

I have no photo but i scanned the brochure that I took from the glove box.

Lets have a photo of your Caddie Eric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img043.jpg (36.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg img044.jpg (138.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-09-2011, 08:40   #38
Senior Member+

Is your Caddie anything like the one below Eric?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1990CadillacDeville.jpg (41.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-09-2011, 08:42   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
seem to recall the zephyr was called the "Flying Pig" back in the day.
I think the Flying pig could have been a Morris Oxford, i don't recall the Ford Zodiac being called that. Maybe the old Standard Vanguard could be the Flying Pig. I had one ex RAF and it was a pig of a car.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:42   #40
Resting in Peace

I remember my fathers first car was a Ford Consul, with a three speed column change, black, with red interior, I learned to drive in it, well I did have lessons and took my test in an Austin 1100, but it helped getting used to the road driving to work in Whalley every day
Old 06-09-2011, 09:54   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I think the Flying pig could have been a Morris Oxford, i don't recall the Ford Zodiac being called that. Maybe the old Standard Vanguard could be the Flying Pig. I had one ex RAF and it was a pig of a car.
Twas a good mate,a mechanic who had one Gremlin, sure it was a zephyr wi a V6 engine?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:02   #42
Senior Member+

I learnt to drive in a 1931 Austin 7(no, I didn't buy it new and it cost me £7).
It had to be double-declutched and I only learnt how to do it after a night out on the beer. I could always do it after that and passed my test in it.
Anyone driven older than that?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:53   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Twas a good mate,a mechanic who had one Gremlin, sure it was a zephyr wi a V6 engine?
You could be right cashman, if it had a V6 it would be a later model than mine.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:59   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I learnt to drive in a 1931 Austin 7(no, I didn't buy it new and it cost me £7).
It had to be double-declutched and I only learnt how to do it after a night out on the beer. I could always do it after that and passed my test in it.
Anyone driven older than that?
My father ran a funeral and wedding business in Todmorden and he had four big old Austin twenty sixes, two were 1938 models and two were a bit older but probably not as old as 1931. I drove them all when I passed my test at 17 years old.
Father also had a Rolls Royce hearse from about the 1920 and he let me move it about a bit when I was ten. My job was to go into the back and clean the windows and polish the silver plated flower holders. That was before he put the coffin in.

I bet your Austin Seven was only a four wheeler Gordon, not like this little van , a friend of mine was a manager at the firm it is advertising and he sent me the photo.
Did you know that the first cars that BMW made were on licence from Austin and were copies of the 7. I think they were called the Dixie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 wheel austin 7.jpg (339.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (8.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg images (1).jpg (10.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Gremlin; 06-09-2011 at 11:03.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

I bet your Austin Seven was only a four wheeler Gordon,
Most of the time, Gremlin.
Until one of the back wheels fell off halfway across the Menai Bridge-that was one lane each way so we caused quite a traffic jam.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..