Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Hill Walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2014, 12:37   #1

Oldest Firm still trading.

I served my time at Pilkington Brothers, Railway Sawmills Ossy back in the late 60's early 70's. They had been going for donkeys years (before WW2 not sure exact date) and last I looked were still going. Anyone know any business that has traded continuously earlier than them?
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2014, 22:32   #2

Re: Oldest Firm still trading.

Ibbotsons builders Blackburn since 1780s I think.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 17:36   #3

Sorry just found out Ibbotsons went into liquidation in 2012.May still be trading though?
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 19:32   #4

Tis in Blackburn tho Jack.
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 20:24   #5

Garys hairdressers in Abbey street....I reckon Garys been cutting hair since the early 1900's
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 15:47   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
Garys hairdressers in Abbey street....I reckon Garys been cutting hair since the early 1900's
Gary must be knocking on a bit?
Old 03-07-2014, 15:16   #7
Senior Member+

That "firm" known locally as the police.
I don't see them going out of business anytime soon either

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:15   #8
Senior Member+

I think that Royal Mail pre-dates the police, though there has been a name change.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:33   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
That "firm" known locally as the police.
I don't see them going out of business anytime soon either
Or the fire service if my wife's cooking is anything to go by
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 00:50   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I think that Royal Mail pre-dates the police, though there has been a name change.
I don't like the royal fail,I suppose they are a 'firm' of thieves though. that Established around 1520's?? (before the police force was established)

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 14:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I don't like the royal fail,I suppose they are a 'firm' of thieves though. that Established around 1520's?? (before the police force was established)
If you are looking for a really old firms you have a choice of two Church and State. The first being an ultimately unsuccessful international conglomerate and the second a family business with a record of success in takeovers of similar businesses.

In both the primary business activity was taxation. Inevitably they clashed and in 1534 the then CEO of State (H Tudor) launched a hostile takeover bid for part of Church. Whilst ultimately successful this takeover unexpectedly required significant improvements to the air conditioning of most of the regional offices of Church in order to compensate the employees of Church who perceived that their pensions had been damaged by this takeover.

Both firms are still in business, State still concentrates on taxation which it has refined into a high art. Church still runs many local offices primarily concerned with public relations.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 15:15   #12

I reckon Norman's barbers in clayton must have been going since before the war
Old 12-11-2014, 19:52   #13

No. I remember Norman when he was apprentice to Jack Thornton in Barnes Street. He opened in Whalley Road late 60's, early 70's.
Lost in Cornwall is online now   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..