Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 12:40   #136
Rest in Peace

Re: Owd Pastimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Can remember when I was young everything used to go in seasons there was the marble season, conker season, of curse cricket and football, bonfire season which started in august, in as much as collecting the wood and everything that went with it, going stealing wood from other gangs, all great fun
What about signaling with torches to each other with the morse code dot dot dot dash,
and I should think back in the thread someone will have mentioned throwing a ball against a wall trying to knock a coin out of a chalked ring. Fastening black cotton to door knockers,pulling it then hiding when someone came out
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2011, 14:15   #137
God Member

Quote:
Can remember when I was young everything used to go in seasons there was the marble season, conker season, of curse cricket and football, bonfire season which started in august, in as much as collecting the wood and everything that went with it, going stealing wood from other gangs, all great fun
Marbles and Conkers were still a serious business when I was a junior school Jay -the lads used to end up in fights over them. Some had ways of hardening the conkers -I think soaking in vinegar was one trick...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 14:41   #138
Resting in Peace

Re: And Pastimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
What about signaling with torches to each other with the morse code dot dot dot dash,
and I should think back in the thread someone will have mentioned throwing a ball against a wall trying to knock a coin out of a chalked ring. Fastening black cotton to door knockers,pulling it then hiding when someone came out
Remember fixing a small pearl button to kitchen windows with a pin and black cotton then lying on the couts and pulling the string
Old 10-12-2011, 14:43   #139
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Marbles and Conkers were still a serious business when I was a junior school Jay -the lads used to end up in fights over them. Some had ways of hardening the conkers -I think soaking in vinegar was one trick...
Soaking um in vinegar, that was cheating
Old 10-12-2011, 19:07   #140
I am Banned

Quote:
When my 3 were at the conker stage at school, I carved them a conker each out of Lignum Vitea, when they were polished up they looked like the real thing, till you felt at it.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 20:19   #141
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Hummers JCB, that's what they called them over Liverpool way,

"Where's our lad ?"
"E's inda jigger, playin' wid is 'ummer !"
Mmmm ... ask for a hummer in North America and you better be prepared to get your face slapped, or part with fifty bucks. Of course, you were over here. You may have met some young ladies of negotiable virtue in the Hat. And if you ever got to Calgary, there's sure as hell no shortage there.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 20:55   #142
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
When my 3 were at the conker stage at school, I carved them a conker each out of Lignum Vitea, when they were polished up they looked like the real thing, till you felt at it.
Retlaw.
Now that's really cheating , Walter!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-12-2011, 20:56   #143
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Mmmm ... ask for a hummer in North America and you better be prepared to get your face slapped, or part with fifty bucks. Of course, you were over here. You may have met some young ladies of negotiable virtue in the Hat. And if you ever got to Calgary, there's sure as hell no shortage there.
You are rather too well versed for one so respectable, Eric!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 11-12-2011, 09:24   #144
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Retlaw.
Could ya not have made um one out of sumat harder
Old 11-12-2011, 09:28   #145
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ya can remember the other have telling me about going into a store in Dallas and asking for a rubber, she was after an eraser (as the yanks call um) her family member (who lives there) stepped in before she was embarrassed
Old 11-12-2011, 09:32   #146
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You are rather too well versed for one so respectable, Eric!
Respectable he comes from Clayton for heaven's sake
Old 11-12-2011, 10:56   #147
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Ya can remember the other have telling me about going into a store in Dallas and asking for a rubber, she was after an eraser (as the yanks call um) her family member (who lives there) stepped in before she was embarrassed
When I lived in the states for a while a friend of mine made what he called a rubber plant - a bit of fake greenery with condoms rolled up and attached to look like flowers - very tasteful!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:13   #148
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Aye Eric, we met a few, but being as we were poorly paid Squaddies, we had to set our priorities with our Dosh = Beer = Drunk = couldn't care less As to negotiable affections, well, if it was free we didn't want it.
Old 11-12-2011, 15:33   #149
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
When I lived in the states for a while a friend of mine made what he called a rubber plant - a bit of fake greenery with condoms rolled up and attached to look like flowers - very tasteful!
used or unused

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..