Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2003, 11:56   #16

Post Re: Owd Pastimes

A set of old pram wheels, a few planks fo wood,a couple of dozen nails,  a piece of rope....and presto! a bogey...or trolley as we called them. Spent many a day terrorising pedestrians at breakneck speeds bombing down York Street and Lupin Road!!
Droo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2003, 16:07   #17
Caz
God Member

Remeber going down the hilly bit in Milnshaw Park near the main entrance (seemed steep then) on one of those. couldn't stop and ended up having stitches in my knee  :'(

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 00:38   #18

@ cazzer I remember when it was Eubank, we used to get told off for doing the same thing!!!! I remember the lamp post in the bend always had a yellow light bulb in it, made it look sooo creepy! Lived across the road from the field, everytime after it had been mowed, we used to go out and make outlines of stuff with the clippings, they made a great outline for a football pitch, Do you remember when Fred Dibnah came to blow down the tower?
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 00:40   #19
Caz
God Member

Yes I remember him coming to blow some chimney up! Wish I'd been there to see it. Didn't he do one at Scaitcliffe as well?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 08-08-2003, 02:30   #20

my dad has scene by scene photo's as he was a bit of a camera buff but we can't seem to find them, if we come across them i'll post them.

Droo...... do you remember the pathway from Lupin road that came out near the Spar shop? we used to pick wild blackberries there every summer, it was inbetween the allotments
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 09:49   #21

Yep! I remember it well littlemo..we used to have our bonfires round there as well!!
Droo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:28   #22
Senior Member+

do any of you remember playing splits,you played by throwing a pen knife and your partner had to put one foot were the knife landed you took it in turns the first one to fall was the loser. those were the days as mary hopkin sang.
Old 08-08-2003, 13:01   #23
Caz
God Member

All those pop music mags, Janet.
Fab 208, Mirabelle, Melody Maker, NME etc.
Couldn't wait for Fridays to pick the NME up in case there was a piccy of my favourites in. Chip Hawkes of the Tremeloes (Chesney's Dad), & Reg Presley of the Troggs.

And what about those dress-me dolls -  on the back of the Bunty comic, I think it was!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 09-08-2003, 13:53   #24
Senior Member+

cazzer i remember all of them i used to love the tremeloes singing silence is golden one of my favourate songs of the sixties dont know how chip sang so high
Old 09-08-2003, 15:08   #25

Janet..

I remember the splits, (got the scars to prove it) lol,  also using a magnifying glass to set fire to the tar...

And the hours you could spend playing with a blown up wagon inner tube
Old 09-08-2003, 17:17   #26
Caz
God Member

[quote author=littlemo link=board=nostalgia;num=1060000403;start=0#19 date=08/08/03 at 03:30:12]my dad has scene by scene photo's as he was a bit of a camera buff but we can't seem to find them, if we come across them i'll post them.

Droo...... do you remember the pathway from Lupin road that came out near the Spar shop? we used to pick wild blackberries there every summer, it was inbetween the allotments[/quote]

When I was living in thearea, there were two paths there.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 09-08-2003, 17:25   #27
Caz
God Member

[quote author=janet link=board=nostalgia;num=1060000403;start=0#23 date=08/09/03 at 14:53:36]cazzer i remember all of them i used to love the tremeloes singing silence is golden one of my favourate songs of the sixties dont know how chip sang so high [/quote]

"Here comes my baby" by the Trems was the first song I bought for myself.
Used to get my records form Mary's, but remember the BandBox.

Think it was Rick West that did the falsetto bits mostly, the one with the big hair. Then there was Dave Munden on drums, and Alan Blakely, (the one who looked like he should play the part of Dr who!)

They've been using "Silence is Golden" on that Simon Cowell ad lately, did you notice?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 12-08-2003, 02:54   #28
I am Banned

Droo ..Trolleys yes!.. I remember my dad leaving the poker in the fire until it was red hot so he could burn a hole in a plank of wood for the steering bit.

I also remeber it used to snow EVERY crimbo and you could guarantee going out sledding

Eating spangles.

Pea guns.. bloomin dangerous things... wood and thick elastick bands and a bag of peas..

None in Accy.. Like mick there I am also a Prestonian.. or was.
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:28   #29
Caz
God Member

I used to have a peashooter, used to take it to the flicks and sit near the back with it!  

- Oscar Wilde
Old 16-08-2003, 19:25   #30
Accy Goddess

I remember those pea shooters every girls nightmare. Ouch, they didn`t alf hurt.  
and the sting from those thick elastics, well i can feel the pain just thinkin about it.
used to love playing jacks, elastics and hop scotch along with two balls bounced off the wall.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..