Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2003, 23:45   #31
Caz
God Member

Post Re: Owd Pastimes

The one I had was just one of those blow tube things, not the lethal weapon type with the elastics. (thought they were catapults ???) Didn't really do any damage, just caused annoyance!

And I've actually just bought my youngest two a set of jacks each, believe it or not.

The simplest pastimes are the best, and longest lasting. keep coming around again with each generation of kids.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2003, 01:03   #32
Junior Member+

I remember having a pea shooter, they seemed to work very well with chewed up bus tickets .  Does anyone remember having a spud-gun?
Chris7464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2003, 13:47   #33
Accy Goddess

Just commenting the other day how you hardly ever see kids actually playing games on the street. They just seem to stand huddled together on the street corners.
SAD.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2003, 13:53   #34
I am Banned

Thats cus there all sharing a fag or a can of lager whch they shouldnt really being doing when there pregnant.

Sorry cynicle head on today
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2003, 14:03   #35
Accy Goddess

not just beer and fags Harry. was on the market before they changed it at a brass stall and these lads, couldn`t have been more than eight or nine. Were looking at pipes and they seemed to know more about weed than i did.
Old 17-08-2003, 14:18   #36
Caz
God Member

Don't know about you ANNE, but it can be a bit intimidating someimes walking to the corner shop, and kids are sitting around in gangs, often with nothing better to do than make remarks to passers by.

It seems a lot of the good kids don't want to be playing  around outside these days, because of the potential for trouble. Also because of people thinking they are going to make trouble. Know one guy round here, as soon as kids set foot out of the door, it's "you've done this - you've done that"

They seem to tar all of them with the same brush and It just ain't fair! Or maybe I've got my cynical head on too!

We need more organised stuff for the kids these days. I know we didn't have it in our day, but it's a different world now.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 17-08-2003, 14:35   #37
Caz
God Member

[quote author=Chris7464 link=board=nostalgia;num=1060000403;start=0#31 date=08/17/03 at 02:03:00]I remember having a pea shooter, they seemed to work very well with chewed up bus tickets . Does anyone remember having a spud-gun?[/quote]

remember making tunes with folded  bus tickets too, and annoying the conductor.

Yes I had a spud gun. bit of a tomboy I was [smiley=lol.gif]

Always preferred adventuring with the lads to doing girly things!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 17-08-2003, 16:14   #38
Accy Goddess

Your right about it not being safe out there and a lot of Teenagers get a raw deal.
It`s a sad old world.  
I didn`t like spangles much, didn`t have a pea shooter or a catapult, coz I was the one that was ALWAYS on the other end. You could ear it has it stung your leg, or arm. The cheek even and when it mad contact with the bum.
OUCH!!!!!!!!
Old 17-08-2003, 17:37   #39
I am Banned

Theres plenty to do in Accy ..this is why I prefer it to somewhere like Preston.. My eldest son and daughter are both Black belts at karate after spending many many years twice a week or more training... Two daughters have doenm the whole guides and brownies thing.. One had a go at baton twirling thingy (majorettes?)....  Daughter joined accy ladies football for 5 minutes  Sons have tried allsorts...

They wouldnt have done any of that in Preston with the amount of traveling they would prob need to do accross town blah blah

Also find schools (Mary mags my little ones go to) have after school activities for the kids

kids dont need to be hanging around on street corners if there parents help steer them in the right direction.. Its OK saying they do what they want.. but for me they act how they have been brought up.... Kids on corners of street causing trouble every night havent been brought up proper... simple as that..

Yes..........thats exactly what I used to do in preston, I was a heavy smoker at 14 and spent most of my life on street corners doing nothing... and No.. my kids dont do it now and Yes I am sure of it..

Old 17-08-2003, 18:03   #40
Caz
God Member

I agree totally about the parent thing. What makes me mad is when the facilities are there and parents can't be bothered, either for the sake of a few shillings, or A little bit of their time.

My two youngest attend Boys' Brigade at Ernest St. Weekly meetings and various other activities - they went bowling last week.

They'll eventually go for their Presidents and Queens Awards, and hopefully go for  the Duke of Edinburgh Award.

It makes me proud when I see them walking on Rememberance Day, but saddens me when you see so many kids running along the route taking the p*** out of them  

They also attend after school classes at Moorhead, they're really into drama  & keyboard especially.

We need to catch the kids who haven't been given any sense of direction, and maybe more localised drop in type centres or youth clubs (hopefully w'll get one in springhill at the old school building) would be the answer.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 17-08-2003, 18:07   #41
I am Banned

My two girls are at Moorhead now.. They dont do the Duke of Edinburough there anymore.. Or if they do its a close guarded secret..

My eldest lad did the Silver and Bronze through moorhead but at colledge and 18 when it was time to do the gold he had other (ahem) things on his mind...  I tried to tell him the silver and bronze just shows everyone he didt go all the way and he should do gold.. but couldnt convince him..

My daughter would go for DoE if they have it at Moorhead.. I keep meaning to email them and ask.

Old 17-08-2003, 18:17   #42
Caz
God Member

They will be doing the  President's, Queen's and D of E through the BB, Harry, sorry for the misunderstanding

- Oscar Wilde
Old 17-08-2003, 18:19   #43
I am Banned

I did follow  What I meant was my girls arnt in the BB and only option is Moorhead who used to do it.. but dont seem to now

Also whats the age limit for being in the BB... you cant do DofE gold until your 18 i think.. or was it 16.. cant remeber now
Old 17-08-2003, 18:36   #44
Caz
God Member

This is something the education dept should be looking at again, don't you think? giving kids the option to do it through school.

Different BB groups seem to have varying age limits don't know why, ours is 16. But a lot stay on and become warrant officers. My two are 14 in October and they can start training then for The D of E

- Oscar Wilde
Old 19-08-2003, 22:44   #45
Senior Member+

remember playing tunes on a comb with a piece of toilet tissue izal made the best tunes. i also had lots of fun with a spud gun.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..